Better Ocean/Mountain (etc.) range indicators

LimDul

Better Ocean/Mountain (etc.) range indicators

Post by LimDul » Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 pm

I posted this on the Steam Forums already but I'll reprint the post since I got the newsletter, in which I was informed that these forums are the best way of contacting you (the devs =):

I have a simple suggestion that would make optimizing habitable areas much easier:

How about in addition to shading the area an ocean/mountain range will occupy, you provide another dimmer shading that will indicate the area of the wet land/desert the ocean/mountain will generate?

Same for other area of effect resources like animals - one highlight for the source tile and a secondary highlight for the total range.

Would make planning SO much easier since currently I have to count tiles manually to achieve maximum efficiency.

Cheers!

Babbalabam

Re: Better Ocean/Mountain (etc.) range indicators

Post by Babbalabam » Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 am

Great idea! I was a bit surprised that it's not like that in the game.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Yes that would be nice! Noting it!

LimDul

Post by LimDul » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Coming back from the dead. =)

I have been checking out Reus on and off after patches and was a bit disappointed to see that this suggestion/feature hasn't made it into any of them yet. :-(

It would make the game so much more enjoyable to me (and to others as well, I bet!).

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Heya!

Yeah we talked about it, but it we didn't have the programmer power to change it. It turned out to be a bit more complicated than it looked (Ergo, a game designer can't change it). I agree it would certainly make a giant-life easier, but in the end we have to choose how to use our resources. We choose to only use all programming power to add translation and ports. I'll see if I can still sneak it through if I harass the brogrammers enough, but no promises!

That's exactly what makes making games hard: you basically have to choose between hundreds of great ideas with only limited resources! :(

LimDul

Post by LimDul » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! I guess it's not that much of a game-changer then.

Cheers!

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 am

If I could do it, it was already in the game. ;)