Why no Seaweed?

MGreyson

Why no Seaweed?

Postby MGreyson » Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 am

Just really a quick question wondering why there are only animals allowed in the ocean spaces? People have utilized various seaweeds for many purposes over the years, why not allow a little more oceanic biodiversity? You can even place plants in the ocean for some reason, though it just leaves a bit of driftwood. This kind of leads me to believe there were some plans here.

Vulpecula

Re: Why no Seaweed?

Postby Vulpecula » Wed May 22, 2013 5:35 am

Ocean tiles could use a little more variety, I agree. Good DLC / expansion material.

Nixitur

Postby Nixitur » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

I wondered the same thing. Seaweed can be considered a plant and depending on the type of seaweed, it could function as either Food or Tech.
Some are even used as fertilizer which could give fishing docks, say, a food bonus on every land plant within the borders if seaweed is within the borders.

JInFi

Postby JInFi » Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

dunno if this helps or not, but this has been brought up before;

i think the original post was looking at the use of seaweed and corals in conjunction with fish; it's not a bad concept/idea, i dunno what the reason behind not doing it was.

Adriaan

Postby Adriaan » Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 am

I didn't do it for 2 good reasons, 1 snobby reason and one bad reasion:

1) time.
2) Ocean flora is notoriously boring. Seaweed, Algea, Phytoplankton and Kelps people! That's it. :(
3) Snobby: Corals are animals!
4) bad reason: I didn't think ocean would be so much the focus in the game. \o/

I'll keep an eye open for more variation. ;)

balard

Postby balard » Wed May 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Seaweed, Algea, Phytoplankton, Kelps, Coral, Pearl, Shells, Oil...

We could have a much more productive sea. Even if it couldn't have many upgrades as land resources, there are enough sea resources to create a more populated sea.

Eline

Postby Eline » Wed May 22, 2013 5:27 pm

You want to give the humans access to oil? Have you learned nothing of this game?!

Touriste

Postby Touriste » Wed May 22, 2013 5:43 pm

And you can invent your own herbs and sea plants !

VDZ

Postby VDZ » Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Eline wrote:You want to give the humans access to oil? Have you learned nothing of this game?!

Actually, there is oil in the game already, though hidden very deep into the tech tree:

(Swamp only)

You need to build your Rock Giant with Swamp, Swamp, Desert, Desert for level 3 Precious Minerals and level 3 Seismic Aspect, while at the same time giving your Ocean Giant Forest, Forest (and preferably another Forest) for level 2 (preferably level 3) Crystal Aspect, and even then there's a large of chance of failing because the aspects are not of a high enough quality unless you've also built the Forest giant for level 3 Fertilize (to make the chance 100%) or level 2 Fertilize (to only fail in the last step and not have to use level 3 Crystal Aspect), by getting two ambassadors among which one Desert for level 2, or getting four ambassadors among which one Desert and one Forest.

So when are we getting achievements for building these impossible structures?

EDIT: Never mind, you need only the maxed out Rock Giant and an Ocean giant with a single Forest ambassador (plus the maxed out Forest Giant if you don't want to risk failing at the last step), if you go through Agate -> Salt -> Onyx -> Silver -> Oil.

Spyre2k

Postby Spyre2k » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Adriaan wrote:4) bad reason: I didn't think ocean would be so much the focus in the game. \o/

I think there are two reason oceans get a lot of attention.

1) Is because it's limited to only animals people feel very constrained compared to the other 4 Biomes so they want more. There are 9 fish in total, of the first two you put down it doesn't matter since both are transmutated along the same path.

2) The Island Village setup seems a popular choice as it's about the only method of controlling village projects. Because the village only has ocean tiles so it had to go Harbor and Lighthouse.

Return to “Ideas & Fan Work”