More actual control over village projects.

SKirlasvoud

More actual control over village projects.

Post by SKirlasvoud » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Damn villager projects!

I really like this game. The careful planning, timing, detail. It requires a great deal of foretought, micromanagement and control. This is what I like to have, and Reus more than delivers. The villagers themselves are usually a nice challenge. I can appreciate the system of greed and war, or nomad predeliction for founding villages in stupid locations. Those things are challenging and I can compensate by careful allocation of awe/danger or creating a few temporary mountains/oceans to steer them.

However, when it comes to projects, the players has no control and apparently random efforts of village projects can sometimes make it impossible to meet certain goals. This absolutely infuriates me at times, especially since these setbacks are only noticed very late in-game and are completely illogical.

In one of my games, I was going after the food-animal achievement, by focussing mainly on the animals. I carefully designed my giants to go mainly for desert ambassadors first. Everything went well in the beginning: Mills with Animal Husbandry, Universities with Zoology, Temples with Animal Shaman.
More than an hour into the era however, all my work was instantly undone by factors completely beyond my control. All my desert villages, surrounded by plants and animals, all suddenly wanted banks and blast furnaces with mineral specializations.

"Destroy the projects, maybe they'll get the hint."

Or maybe that gives them a giant greed boost that has me on a LONG cooldown. And just for kicks, maybe they don't get the hint and simply start another bank.
I simply don't have the time to rap their knuckles in most challenges. Going with the project means that I'll never manage to complete my food based goals. If I don't please them and wait for the greed cooldown to finish, I don't get the ambassadors I need and those desert villages and their projects fall behind the reward limits, and I simply don't manage before the two hours are up. Ditto when I simply eradicate the daft bastards or change the entire biome. I lose work and the other villages and their borders will make sure no new villages will be possible. On top of that, its annoying like hell.

I even tried savescumming to make them do what I want, but it seems that some games are simply doomed to fail as their insistence on stupidity seems hard-coded into the save. After an hour of work, all they want is blast furnaces no matter what I do.

My suggestion is for the player to have some sort of control over what the villagers build for projects. This can be challenging, but it should be doable. They shouldn't be able to screw you half way through the third era.

To make their projects logical, would be a great step in the right direction. No Blast Furnaces when there's not a single mineral inside the borders. Circusses are far more likely when you're in the middle of a rich animallands. They shouldn't repeat the same project twice once you destroyed the last.
They can't seriously expect me to undo all my previous work on the last project. And if they're that reliant on me putting up minerals everywhere where there were none before, they might as well listen to what I want.

Another great option for Abbey Games, is to make projects a split-second decision a mere moment before they put up the actual projects. In my save-scumming, the next project seems certain in any save game after the last project has been build. Sometimes even before that.
I'm a god. Let me rewind time if something happens I don't like.

Finally, if the other two options are undoable, simply drop the greed penalty and shorten the amount of time that they put up a new project after I destroyed the last.

Zhein

Re: More actual control over village projects.

Post by Zhein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

SKirlasvoud wrote: In one of my games, I was going after the food-animal achievement, by focussing mainly on the animals. I carefully designed my giants to go mainly for desert ambassadors first. Everything went well in the beginning: Mills with Animal Husbandry, Universities with Zoology, Temples with Animal Shaman.
I don't get it, you can do it with only one city, the rest of the cities can ask whatever they like, it's not important, you only have to focus on one city with the bonuses needed.

So, you need 1500 prosperity with only food and animals. Do it on a forest city, create greater plants and greater domestic animals. Even without too much work you can get 3 pear trees and 3 rabbits, that should be enough of ressources to put whatever you like for the rest.

And the forest city won't ask for minerals in projects, so that's clearly not a problem. now why would you do this achievement in a desert city ? Go for the "animals and minerals only" or "minerals and plants"
My suggestion is for the player to have some sort of control over what the villagers build for projects. This can be challenging, but it should be doable. They shouldn't be able to screw you half way through the third era.
That would make the game much easier.

Pissfer

Post by Pissfer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm

The one part I somewhat wish for was that it took into account what resources it has. Or maybe it does and I just do too much standard building. Now the thing is that I guess I'm looking at it by resource whereas you're talking about by type-of-thing in it.

Pogo

Post by Pogo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:05 pm

The villages don't care what resources you already have in place. You can start a forest village with a wealth mine and they'll still start a granary project. The projects they start are random, but weighted. Forest villages are more likely to start food projects. Desert villages are more likely to start wealth projects. And swamp villages are more likely to start tech projects. This doesn't prevent a desert village from starting a granary or a forest village from starting a druid, or a swamp village from starting a market place.

SKirlasvoud

Post by SKirlasvoud » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:06 am

I'm getting fed up with the game being completely random and obstinant like this! Reus is becoming a game of chance, not a clever puzzler.

I have 6 unlocks left, all wealth and tech related. I would love the game to start appropriate projects, but all it gives me is food. Food, food, food, food, shrine, granary, food, food, food! I want to unlock all of them in one fell swoop, not do them in 6 consecutive games.

I've spend several 2-hour games now where I've either just missed a few hundred points with nearly lvl 4 projects, or waited for so long for the villages to finally give me the appropriate projects that I was simply too late. If I force them into doing projects by messing with the biomes, I'm not getting the appropriate ambassadors.

Abbey Games! Fix it!

I don't care if it becomes too easy. I'm not seeing it being easy right now and if it is a concern, try to make the game hard somewhere else. I'm done with these bastards constantly sabotaging me into only starting hamlets, historic points and hospitals after wasting 1 hour.

Pissfer

Post by Pissfer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:57 am

How many forest biome villages do you have? Or how come you focus on them so much? Either that, or you really are just getting really unlucky on other places. I normally have too many Blast Furnaces trying to be created for my T3 projects honestly.