Ambassador Selection...

PaxCecilia

Ambassador Selection...

Post by PaxCecilia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I am not very good at theory crafting and it seems pretty essential to playing this game. Choosing which ambassadors go on which giants is definitely the hardest part. I get stuck on any projects that require over 750 of any resources because I can never make the latest and greatest upgraded natural sources. Is there some sort of consensus that the community has come to about which ambassadors go on which giant? I usually end up spreading out each biome's ambassador on all the giants but I am stuck.

Are there enough ambassadors in the game to get +3 in each of the giants skills? Are you supposed to stack 1 type of ambassador on each giant to max out one set of abilities? Any general advice on ambassador selection?

Touriste

Re: Ambassador Selection...

Post by Touriste » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:12 am

Hello ! I can understand that but I think discovering what builds work is also some funny part of the game.
No, there are not enough ambassadors to get level 3 in each capacity.
Well, it depends on the build you are working on, myself, I try to get max level on natural sources, so for the
Rock giant I go DSDS (D: desert, S: swamp [ambassador])
Forest giant I go FFSF (F: forest [ambassador])
Ocean giant I don't have a fixed build yet, I tend to go SDDD though
Swamp giant I like the FDSS build

It does not give me a lot of variety but some powerful one.
There is also this guide on which ambassador picks first : http://steamcommunity.com/app/222730/di ... 063678431/
Have fun reading :D

PaxCecilia

Post by PaxCecilia » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:56 am

Cheers man, this answered my questions really well and build orders like that were what I wanted to get me started.

Now I really wish free play let you unlock everything and have unlimited ambassadors ;) Because I want to make a utopia with everything.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 am

Yes free play allows you to do that, there is an "advanced option" button in order to get the "advanced menu" and choose your preferences :).
Some of those options launch the "alt mod" and you can't unlock developments while in alt mod in a game ^^.

nighteyes

Post by nighteyes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 am

Unless I've missed the release, the Advanced options are currently only for the steam based beta branch. The patch introducing these changes hasn't been fully released yet so unless you have the steam version and tell it that you want to partcipate in the beta, you'll have to wait a little while for the offical release of the patch.

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Is there some way those of us who aren't using Steam for the game (I find the inability to select which drive to place a game on severely limiting) can test betas, as well? Because I"m not seeing new betas every day--correct me, please, if I'm wrong; and that means putting something up once a week on Gog.com, or less. It also means more input back to you.

As well as all your customers getting to try out new features. Instead of just some of them.

nighteyes

Post by nighteyes » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:52 am

They decided during the Beta to use steam as it provided the easiest most efficent way for them to provide patchs and get feedback from testers, after the game was released they kept steam for beta for the same reasons. So unfortuntly you can't get on to the beta branch unless you buy the game throuh steam, so unfortuntly we have to wait till the patch is released fully till we can get our hands on the new awesome.

The biggest issue with providing the beta to other platforms, ie GOG, is that they either don't have an auto patching service to keep bug reports up to date, or the potential testing gain is hardly worth the extra effort of using it. Also just thinking about it, you can proberbly add a third point, the marjority of people out there would not know the difference between a beta patch and the gold nversion, and would complain about bugs and polish of new features.

As much as I would like to play the new patch, I personally, would rather they focus on fixing stuff over uploading a new patch every day to the half a dozen sites they have. But still, here's hopeing that the next patch is nearly ready! :)

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 am

nighteyes wrote:The biggest issue with providing the beta to other platforms, ie GOG, is that they either don't have an auto patching service to keep bug reports up to date, or the potential testing gain is hardly worth the extra effort of using it.
Nighteyes, thanks for your response. To your first point, it would depend upon whether Abbey Games provides frequent (several times a week, for example) beta updates, or not. If they don't, the need to supply updates only to a channel capable of instant updates becomes less important. To the second point, the gain would depend upon the number of users added if a Gog.com beta branch were created. I have no idea what such a number would be, but nor have I seen any survey taken of how many more people would wish to join such a pool of testers, if Gog.com had betas available. So Abbey Games might get quite a few more testers--or it might get very few. If they were interested in acquiring more testers, asking how many would join via Gog would seem to be the way to go. Since they haven't pursued this, I can only assume they don't need more.

That's fine with me. But that doesn't make my polite request irrelevant, or my participation (and that of others) "hardly worth the extra effort" if Abbey Games needed more testers in the pool. With genuine respect, I suggest they are the proper people to determine this, not you, nor I.
Also just thinking about it, you can proberbly add a third point, the marjority of people out there would not know the difference between a beta patch and the gold version, and would complain about bugs and polish of new features.
Having done extensive beta testing for a very few games I really enjoyed in the past (and worked 4 years on one game's development), I can tell you this is always an issue. It is also always an issue that is easily discarded. The vast majority of testers realize that a beta is just that, a beta. The people who don't, and spend their time complaining about betas not being gold code, or their favorite feature not added, are usually convinced of the error of their ways, or end up without access to testing forums. The last game I beta tested employed several hundred beta testers, and they were pretty well-behaved. Your point is actually one against beta testing at all, not about increasing the number of beta testers from X to Y. But for what little my opinion's worth, I don't think the issue is betas testers being helpful and sensible. It's about whether Abbey Games feels they have all the testers they need to get the job done in a timely and effective fashion--and if they feel they have that number, that's fine with me. I'll just wait for the result, which saves me time for other activities. :)

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:12 am

Heya!

Just to prevent the topic from derailing: A quick response why the beta is not on GoG. It's simply because the pool is vastly smaller (GoG is about 2-3% of the sales), and it does not have an easy and effective beta branch. I myself use GoG a lot, and have loads of love for it, but it's simply not efficient. The patch, once public and live, will of course be on GoG as well!

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Adriaan wrote:Heya!

Just to prevent the topic from derailing: A quick response why the beta is not on GoG. It's simply because the pool is vastly smaller (GoG is about 2-3% of the sales), and it does not have an easy and effective beta branch. I myself use GoG a lot, and have loads of love for it, but it's simply not efficient. The patch, once public and live, will of course be on GoG as well!
Thanks for the straightforward response. :) I regret that GoG lacks the numbers you get from Steam; not because I fundamentally dislike Steam, but because as its userbase grows, inevitably it will achieve much the same narrow-channel control over delivery as one or two mega-chains did before the Internet-based software sales took off. With all that implies over control of merchandise, preferential treatment, etc.

But I can't argue with the point you make. It's a perfectly good one. And at the same time I'm glad something like Steam is around to provide a fund-raising platform for game development--assuming it gets used wisely.

But back to your thread, and my apologies for derailing it (yet again!)