Coal & Panda combo seems bugged?

UpperKEES

Coal & Panda combo seems bugged?

Post by UpperKEES » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I am not sure if this has been introduced by nerfing Coal last summer, but I thought the Sunflower/Panda/Coal combo could still be useful, so I gave it a shot.

It turns out however that the Awe produced by the Sunflower can only be used by the Panda OR the Coal. This means the Coal uses the Awe and the Panda does NOT generate wealth from the Awe.

You may think that this is correct behaviour because the Coal produces negative Awe, thus cancelling the total amount, but Project Specializations that generate food out of Awe still DO benefit from the Sunflower's Awe (and ignore the negative Awe produced by the Coal).

Is this intended?

Adriaan

Re: Coal & Panda combo seems bugged?

Post by Adriaan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Heya!

The problem is actually in the last part: Nature ignores bonusses from projects. Else you could stack up infinite amounts of everything. ;P

UpperKEES

Post by UpperKEES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Yes, I understand that (and that completely makes sense), but I actually meant the other way around: both the Project and the Coal benefit from the Awe, but the Panda doesn't.

In other words: the Panda 'sees' the negative Awe from the Coal, while the Project doesn't take it into account. The same goes for a second (adjacent) Coal mine by the way.

In can imagine this behaviour is intended to limit the reuse of Awe, but then the Projects that convert Awe (into Food for instance) should do so too.

Anyway, not a very big deal, as it doesn't impact the game a lot. I sure hope you'll be looking into the biome change crashes (see Tech Support forums), which keep me from playing the game anymore. Yes, I'm an addict! ;-D

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Aww right! That might be because some rules look at the patch (taking in account negative awe) while others look at the source (not taking in account negative awe), but projects have different code for reading stuff. It seems indeed that the project is wrong, and the panda is right. Take that humans!

Seems like a pretty deep bug, I'll try to give a look at it.

UpperKEES

Post by UpperKEES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Haha! As always it's the humans messing up.... :-D

Regarding the crashes (that still persist in the current beta), I actually figured it would be 'just' an index calculation problem.

Code: Select all

Reus.View.SurfacePatchTriangulator.AddTriangle(Vector3 a, Vector3 b, Vector3 c)
Apparently a, b or c is out of bounds, which seems to have its cause in the AddLeftSidedPatch() method. My apologies if I oversimplified the problem. The good thing is that it's 100% reproducable. It probably also helps that it's your own code instead of some funky XNA classes.

My bet is that Vectors with a negative property cause a crash, while Vectors with a property with a very high value cause the 'infinite mountain' as reported by some other players. I'll put 3 beers on it. ;-)