Xbox One vs. PS 4 vs. Wii U

JustSmall

Xbox One vs. PS 4 vs. Wii U

Post by JustSmall » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Just a few hours ago Microsoft's next gen console Xbox One was announced. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One

A few months ago, Sony already made their presentation and told us about their future regarding the console market: The PS 4. If you don't know about it, here is the wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4

And if we go back a few more months, Nintendo's brand new try at hardware was released and they named it the Wii U.
Again, you can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Now we already know that the Wii U was rather dissappointing from a sales point because it seems like many "average" people think it is just another add-on to the Wii. And those that do realize it is a standalone console often think that it is simply not good enough.

But what is your opinion on this topic?
Do you think that Sony will "win" this generation?
Do you think that Microsofts way to handle used games is bad (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/x ... -analysis/)

I'd like to hear your opinion on this matter!

Cheers
JustSmall

Eline

Re: Xbox One vs. PS 4 vs. Wii U

Post by Eline » Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 pm

I think the Xbox One is utterly dissappointing so far. And I'm not the only one, my whole Twitter feed was incredibly cynical (contains mostly of game journalists & devs).

Anyway, in short, this is what I think:
+ device looks nice
+ a controller! No "YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER" bs
+ Halo tv, but I'm weary. Hope it's not the next crappy Terra Nova/Revolution/Falling Skies.
+ Cute dog.

- Sports
- All features are probably US only
- CGI. Just don't do that, show actual gameplay.
- Exclusives, what are those? I hope they will be announced at E3.
- voice commands are retarded. I wonder if there are people that don't feel silly talking to a Xbox.
- Watching tv on your xbox.... because why would you watch them on your tv again??
- Who would ever multitask on 1 tv screen. People who multitask use tablets and phones for that.
- The name. How are you going to market "One" to the average consumer?
- Used games fee. I don't think I have to explain this except that a bunch of baboons came up with it.
- No backwards compatibiliy. Given the RROD problems with the 360, people might want this option.
- Always online is a dev choice. So it will probably happen.
- Kinect needs to be connected to Xbox One AT ALL TIMES, else you're not able to play ANY game. What the hell, Microsoft?!

Fyi: I own all current gen platforms but I think I'll buy the PS4 next.

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Well i'm happy with my Wii U currently, the (very few i know that's the main issue) games are fun and use the gamepad cleverly.

It definitely lacks some blockbusters but hopefully E3 will fix that.

Anyway, like the Wii before, the Wii U will stay a 'secondary' game system, with mostly games with original gameplay. For the 'main' one, with more mainstream games, i'll probably go PS4 this time. (note that when i use secondary, i mean relatively to my usual playing, not in term of sales)

In Terms of games, there don't seem to be some groundbreaking exclusivities that favor one or the other ( at least not in the genres i usually play), and the used game fee for (XBO)XO is not something i'm really keen on to say the least

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Highlight of Xbox one Reveal.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I'll be buying a Wii U the moment the Reus-money comes in. It complements my PC gaming the best, and I just love Pikmin.

PaasDieJonko

Post by PaasDieJonko » Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm definitely going to get the PS4. I have a PS3 and 13 platinums on my PSN and I want to continue with that. Plus I'm still very happy with the PS3 and it's (upcoming) exclusives so I know Sony won't fail in that department with the PS4 either. I was also considering buying the Xbox One if it released earlier than the PS4, but not anymore sadly. I'm still thinking about buying a Wii U, but not really sure atm.

BTW I do hope for next gen that devs will be focusing less on FPS and more on RPG's again. We seriously need more RPG's!

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Mon May 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Too lazy to point things out so I will rather use Eline's post LOL
+ device looks nice
Not important, but it probably just a prototype
+ a controller! No "YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER" bs
Some people like it, and you still can use a controller. Nice to have alternatives (yes I'm pointing to you Wii U)
- Sports
Why is it negative? any extra (non-mandatory) option is positive
You mean, like PS4 presentation, where they didn't even show the actual console? I don't care what they show, as long as it delivers in the end. Also, most analysts say the new CPU/GPU combo will be over 10x stronger, so that's ok with me. Also, x86 architecture (as in Ps4) is a winner-winner combination for everyone even if there was little other improvement in the gameplay, because it opens the road for PC to Xbox ports and cheaper Xbox to PC ports, or rather, not ports, since they will all be x86.
- voice commands are retarded. I wonder if there are people that don't feel silly talking to a Xbox.
I agree, but again, optional. Also, some people might *need* it (using your hands, people with disabilities, etc)
- Watching tv on your xbox.... because why would you watch them on your tv again??
Xbox ONE as in ONE device for the entire living room: games console, video/dvd/bd recorder/playback, cable/TiVo receptor, audio/video calls, all in ONE. So, you are not "watching TV" on your Xbox, but rather, the Xbox is decoding content to your TV without the need of a stack of other devices beside the TV other than the Xbox itself. Winner again, you can buy the Xbox One and trash the rest.
- Who would ever multitask on 1 tv screen. People who multitask use tablets and phones for that.
* raises hand *
Why even bother with a tiny-screen tablet/phone if I can keep a pop-in window with TV while I play, 2 windows, etc..? Or even better, that AND the tablet interaction? I can totally see people leaving a TV pop-in and play while they wait for their show to start. You can get voice or video calls ingame, etc...
"One" device to rule them all ... there, sold.
- No backwards compatibiliy. Given the RROD problems with the 360, people might want this option.
Change in the architecture made this inevitable, but the problem is not with Xbox One, but rather the older consoles and their own proprietary architecture. Also, with the new specs, they can probably come up with an emulator (official or not) pretty soon

Anyway, I don't care about consoles at all, because you can do all that and plenty of more in any PC, and now that they moved to x86, even more so. The fact that Microsoft owns the PC (ok, they are loosing ground on tablets/phones, less people using PC, but doesn't change the fact they own PC plataform. I said PC not Mac), and their new console is x86 based, moves them closer, which means people who own a PC have one more reason to think about XBox, and who have an XBox have one more reason to think about PC's, or even better, you CAN have only one. The ONE reason I ever considered consoles where the poor PC ports. Well, ports are gone.

My PC with BD and video in/out can do all an Xbox can do game related, minus the fact some games are console only (and some are PC only), but it seems very likely the gap is closing enough for people to wonder. If you look carefully, everyone knows consoles are pointless, so they try to bind customers with exclusives. Take the exclusives out, I wonder how many would stay with one or the other console.

And with Microsoft Glass project looming, Xbox One is one step closer to make it happen. If you think carefully on all Xbox One features, and think about connecting it to a Microsoft Glass, you will suddenly realize WHY there are so many features on the Xbox One. Do the math. All those features connected with all the devices in your home, even sharing features. Microsoft Glass would be able to stream game/video/whatever to your phone or tablet, or you can control your Xbox/TV/etc from miles away from your phone.

Yes, Microsoft is clearly thinking about that with Xbox One, it even makes me wonder why they didn't put Glass tech in Xbox already.

So ... Xbox One for multitask (replaces everything else, specially when Glass comes up), PS4 for exclusives (if you think it's worth the price tag JUST for the exclusives), Wii U for random arcade games.
We seriously need more RPG's!
PC's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Highlight of Xbox one Reveal.
LOL

Eline

Post by Eline » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Caiobrz wrote:
- Sports
Why is it negative? any extra (non-mandatory) option is positive
I was referring to the conference, which was too focused on sports, for my taste. If people wanna watch sports on their console, that's fine of course. Just don't make it the main focus of the presentation...
You mean, like PS4 presentation, where they didn't even show the actual console? I don't care what they show, as long as it delivers in the end. Also, most analysts say the new CPU/GPU combo will be over 10x stronger, so that's ok with me. Also, x86 architecture (as in Ps4) is a winner-winner combination for everyone even if there was little other improvement in the gameplay, because it opens the road for PC to Xbox ports and cheaper Xbox to PC ports, or rather, not ports, since they will all be x86.
That may be, but I'm tired of them showing only CGI footage during conferences and then boasting about how great the graphics are. No. It's CGI, you could've shown this in 2000 ffs. Only if you show ACTUAL gameplay we know what games will look like. That's my point.
I agree, but again, optional. Also, some people might *need* it (using your hands, people with disabilities, etc)
It's not optional. Microsoft has confirmed Kinect has to be on at all times, even when playing a game that doesn't use Kinect. Kinect is also always on when connected to power, I am very concerned about this because of privacy issues. I would agree with you if it was entirely optional, because I do like Kinect games.
Xbox ONE as in ONE device for the entire living room: games console, video/dvd/bd recorder/playback, cable/TiVo receptor, audio/video calls, all in ONE. So, you are not "watching TV" on your Xbox, but rather, the Xbox is decoding content to your TV without the need of a stack of other devices beside the TV other than the Xbox itself. Winner again, you can buy the Xbox One and trash the rest.[/quote]
No you can't. I don't know where you live, but here it's mandatory to use the tv receptor to receive digital tv channels. You need it to watch tv, unless you want to watch via analog cable, but in that case the Xbox would be pointless as you could just put the cable in your tv.
* raises hand *
Why even bother with a tiny-screen tablet/phone if I can keep a pop-in window with TV while I play, 2 windows, etc..? Or even better, that AND the tablet interaction? I can totally see people leaving a TV pop-in and play while they wait for their show to start. You can get voice or video calls ingame, etc...
You think so? I think it's a hassle doing all that on a tv. It's so much easier to just grab your tablet and tweet/fb/google something.
"One" device to rule them all ... there, sold.
No they aren't. This causes massive confusion, as 'one' suggests it's the original Xbox.
Change in the architecture made this inevitable, but the problem is not with Xbox One, but rather the older consoles and their own proprietary architecture. Also, with the new specs, they can probably come up with an emulator (official or not) pretty soon

I agree, it's not that big of an issue for me either. If I want to play older games I buy the old consoles or HD remakes.
My PC with BD and video in/out can do all an Xbox can do game related, minus the fact some games are console only (and some are PC only), but it seems very likely the gap is closing enough for people to wonder. If you look carefully, everyone knows consoles are pointless, so they try to bind customers with exclusives. Take the exclusives out, I wonder how many would stay with one or the other console.
Consoles useless? What. There are so many advantages to consoles. I don't like playing on PC for a lot of reasons, but what I really want is having a device whose sole purpose is playing games. It's just SO much easier. Sure you can use the PC to play with a controller and stream games on your tv, but that doesn't mean it will actually work well or work forever.

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 29, 2013 3:29 am

Kinectics NOT optional? so I'm with you...

For presentation, since most titles are under development, and we don't even know if that prototype was fully operational, I think it's hard to show actual gameplay other than CGI. Regardless, Epic (Unreal engine) reported the graphics should be on the 10 scale improvement, which is good enough for me.

Yeah we need TV decoders over here too, but as you said they are mandatory, you can either connect to the TV or whatever recorder you have. If you have an XBox One, that is the recorder, you can discart any recorders, players, etc... and keep just XBox, that's what I meant. I think it's good, I am tired of 4~5 different devices for each feature that could pretty much be done in one. Next step is probably embedding XBox into the TV XD~ (never gonna happen)

Well, on the multitask TV, I think as an optional feature, it's again not really a problem if you don't like it. As I said, I do. I am a computer analyst and I use 2 monitors to work, I'm used to having two screens, so I am used to overlays and stuff like that on my vision. I think that loosing focus of the TV to handle a tablet etc.. is a lot more of a hastle than to just wave my TV to open a twitter page, tweet while I see the game paused/ongoing/whatever, and get back to the game without ever getting the eyes off the TV.

Er I don't get your criticism over the "One", it's meant to be about all in one anyway.

About consoles, yes they are useless, there is not a single old console which doesn't have an emulator on PC already, and the reason we don't have emulators for the current generation is because ... it's the current generation. As the new generation rolls in, you bet emulators for PS3 and XBox 360 will pop up.

Also, emulators DO work forever as long as there is public interest on them. If the technology renders one useless (like computers stopping 16 bit applications over time, and some of my Atari/SEGA emulators not running since Windows Vista), they just release new versions (took them only a few weeks to release 32 bit versions). Consoles can't work forever, and unless you dig a lot and can handle the old eletronics, you wouldn't be able to play an old console game today because they are rare and expensive - while emulators are not.

You are in a lot more danger of not being able to play a game you love that is only available in a console, than one that is either available in a PC or emulator. Even old PC games that can't run on the current architecture can run under PC emulators!

Consoles can't do that.

You simply can't beat a PC with a Console, sorry. Only reason to have a console are the exclusive and if you really have a problem with having a PC connected to your TV (ALL HD TV's have VGA/HDMI in ports, they are, quite literally, a monitor, no hastle at all). For years I had an old PC behind my TV to watch downloaded videos, unfortunately it got old, broke down and I didn't care to replace, but my current PC's, my netbook and even my phone all have HDMI-out ports. Just plug into the TV and watch, no hastle at all, specially about the netbook and phone (small). I can also use USB drives on the TV (probably can't do that with a console, I don't know, but again, most TV's today have USB ports and can handle most formats)

It's all a tendency called Digital Convergence, when several devices become one (palmtop + phone = smartphone; netbook + tablet = hybrid; old consoles + recorder/player = current gen of consoles; current gen of consoles + more features = merge other devices)

In the future, with Glass (or other companies) technologies, you will only have one CPU home, streaming to all other devices which offer I/O. You will be able to play top-notch graphics games in your cheap tablet (because all processing is done on the CPU and streamed to the tablet*, which then sends input back), TV, browser etc... The convergence only needs a "box" powerful enough for that, and the current gen of consoles (PS4 included) are probably enough or near enough.

IF Sony delivers (they DO have plans) a similar technology for streaming, then PS4 will have the same features as Xbox + Glass. Either way, Apple and Nintendo better watch it, the current new generation is being clearly all about Sony and Microsoft (not that Apple care, but I think they do, with Apple TV and all)

Anyway, I don't want a console yet, I understand and respect people who does. If any game I love gets released exclusively in one console, I might think about it, until then, my CPU can handle current gen consoles, and it will probably play next gen too with a proper GPU update (I have stock GPU, but it can handle PS3/XBox 360 ports fine)

(edit)
*- you can do that already on wifi and play a PC game in a iPad/iPhone/android, I use "Splashtop 2 remote", a free software. You install the "server" on the PC, the "client" on any phone/tablet, and it streams the PC image AND sound with awesome quality and response time. I kid you not, it's amazing, I can watch a video from the PC if I am close enough to my shitty wifi ... if I had a better wifi router, I could probably use the PC from my bed =p

Plu

Post by Plu » Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 pm

No device has ever come close to the awesome that is pc-gaming. So I won't be buying any of them.

Well.

Maybe the Ouija.

But I'd have to buy a tv first.