Wiki translation

Deutsch, Français, Português - Please note: the non-English forums are not actively maintained
Maarten

Wiki translation

Postby Maarten » Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey all,

I heard some people talking about wiki translation, and that is a great idea!

Since I'm working on localization for the game itself, I cannot currently monitor or lead the wiki translation.
There are various ways to do the translation. I think the Team Fortress 2-wiki did a great job. See here:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Help: ... ranslation

If you're wiki-savvy, I invite you do discuss translation in this topic. When we know *how* we'll be translating, we can actually *start* translating. Feel free to take the lead in this, as - like I said - I currently have limited time.

LFaust :
Use the English community portal (Translation) to organize the whole translation progress and related requests.

Touriste

Re: Wiki translation

Postby Touriste » Wed May 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Do the wiki support other languages at the moment ?

PauloBelato

Postby PauloBelato » Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 pm

I've created a draft for a translation page on the wiki here, although I'm not entirely sure if one will be necessary.

TheGodfather

Postby TheGodfather » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm

We could use Translatewiki.net as well. It's a localization platform for wikis... Only thing is that the devs would have to inform them first --> http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:New_project

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm

TheGodfather wrote:We could use Translatewiki.net as well. It's a localization platform for wikis... Only thing is that the devs would have to inform them first --> http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:New_project

They won't take us in as a project, but we could use that software on our own server.
Translatewiki.net wrote:We only accept projects which use a free and open source license.

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Touriste wrote:Do the wiki support other languages at the moment ?

It supports all that MediaWiki supports out of the box, and I'm not sure if that includes tools for localization...

TheGodfather

Postby TheGodfather » Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Maarten wrote:They won't take us in as a project, but we could use that software on our own server.

Awesome, so let's use this software? Or does it cost something?

LFist

Postby LFist » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

I think the best and maybe easiest way would be to use Interwiki linking. It should be supported "out-of-the-box" by MediaWiki.

I found a detailed description: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Interwiki_linking#Interlanguage_links

$wgInterwikiMagic needs to be set to true and $wgHideInterlanguageLinks to false within LocalSettings.php.

Maarten

Postby Maarten » Thu May 30, 2013 11:48 am

LFist wrote:$wgInterwikiMagic needs to be set to true and $wgHideInterlanguageLinks to false within LocalSettings.php.

Done..! Please tell me if it worked :)

LFist

Postby LFist » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

I've added the basic structure of main page linking and page linking (example).

Different languages are pages within the original English wiki now. This is the only way to do it without creating single MediaWiki installations and MySQL databases PER language.

Use the English community portal (Translation) to organize the whole translation progress and related requests.

Return to “International”