Wiki translation

Deutsch, Français, Português - Please note: the non-English forums are not actively maintained
PauloBelato

Re: Wiki translation

Post by PauloBelato » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:20 am

Don't think that would be possible without the use of the interwiki (rejected because each language would require diferent servers, it seems) or the use of a lot of javascript to interact with the sidebar and alter the links depending on the language the user chose.

x4s4lj4

Post by x4s4lj4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Just a quick question : how do you create a TOC (table of content) on a wiki page ? I can't find what to insert...

Arkondi

Post by Arkondi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Insert

Code: Select all

__TOC__
where you want the TOC to be.

x4s4lj4

Post by x4s4lj4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Awesome, thanks !

Vladimir

Post by Vladimir » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am

I just translate the main page in Spanish, but I can not get the flag next to the link
http://wiki.reusgame.com/index.php?title=Main_Page/es

PD: I PUT THE FLAG

MadmanWithABox

Post by MadmanWithABox » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if the multi-language template is integrated into some of the existing templates? Like the one for projects. Copy + Paste of the english one and translating single words isn't a great way of doing it. Because if the template changes, you have to change the template for all languages.

Also is there a way to make templates out of the information for e.g. projects, plants, animals, etc. So that you have a page where the information about a plant and its symbioses is stored. And you can then use this page as a template for another page. This way you could integrate the same information on several pages and if the basic information changes (e.g. if the symbioses information changes due to a patch) you only have to change one template page, not all pages for all languages.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:47 am

I think this has not be done because it takes too much resources out of the wiki MadmanWithABox. (I am not sure at all).

I think this do not exist, it would be a colossal work to do each template of natural sources I guess. I do not know anything about templates :(.

condemor

Post by condemor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am

Hi guys!

I am new here on the forum.

I knew Touriste in the steam forums so I came here.

I would like to help to translate the game into spanish.

Cheers!

Condemor

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Greetings condemor !
If any Wiki user are passing by, is it possible to change the NaturalSource template in order to add "Created by : [[pic of giant]]" like that and to his left "with" with the [[pic of capacity]] used for creating the natural source and [[pic of biome]] that show where it is created. We will need 2 lines because of the withered shrub that can be created by 2 giants
kkk.jpg
(I managed to do that but the label 3 did not show, I don't know why).

And also for the transmutation, is it possible to add some kind of board like that
ayay.jpg
Thanks in advance !

MadmanWithABox

Post by MadmanWithABox » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:21 pm

@Touriste
Yeah, that should be fairly easy to do, I will look into this, if I find the time the next days. Your second proposol can be done with the Transmutation template I created (see the huge text below, for more information :-)). It's not a table, but it shows the image, name and link of an aspect. Is this ok, or would you like to change anything? You can see how it would look like here: Examples

Furthermore I've been working on some of the things I mentioned in my last post and I want to share my results so far with you.

First I modified the NaturalSource template so that it now is able to be used for all languages, which makes those NaturalSource/languageCode templates unnessary. Therefore I created a new template called TransLink which will create a link to a wiki site in the given language and will automatically translate the links name. So for example the code

{{TransLink|Blueberry|3=de}}
will create a link to the German Blueberry article (Blueberry/de) and will show as Blaubeere, instead of Blueberry. This template is meant to be used within other templates that make use of the language code attribute so that they can simply pass it along. The template can be found here: http://wiki.reusgame.com/index.php?titl ... :TransLink

Secondly my other idea was to reduce the reduncany of resource information. Currently I see one problem with the information about resources: They are scattered around the whole wiki on all languages. E.g. the information of how many food a blueberry provides can be found on the overview page of resource, at the Blueberry page itself and possibly somewhere else two. And also for all languages. How it is done is that the previously information is other copy-pasted or copied by hand from another side. This is both tedious and error prone. My idea is to only have ONE page for every resource (and other thins like projects), that hold the information. This page can then be used in different ways depending how it is wanted. For example the resource overview table or the info boxes on the resource pages itself. If you look at overview, currently we write something like this:

|-
| [[File:BLUE BERRY.png|24px]] [[Blueberry]]
| {{Food|5}}, {{Natura|1}} 
| {{Food|+10}} if next to a Dandelion or Strawberry.
| [[Strawberry]] with Lesser [[Leaf Aspect]].
[[Apple Tree]] with Lesser [[Fruit Aspect]].
for each row of the table. And all language pages have to copy those information and translate them. Now imagine this information changes (due to a game patch) and the Blueberry now provides 20 Food. We would have to change this on every single page for every language (And we don't have infinite monkeys...). So my idea was to have something like this and write only

{{Blueberry|table}}
{{Strawberry|table}}
The Blueberry and Strawberry template would contain the information of those resources and say what they provide, how they transmuate, etc. The table attribute then tells the template to expand to the code from above. Other attributes might be info that expands into the info box, that can be found on the resource pages. The cool thing is that it's easy to add new attributes which would allow to change the way how resources are shown without changing the information about them.
Those templates then would expand into the same content as above, but are easier to use. I also wanted to have the ability to add the language code to this templates, so that

{{Blueberry|table|de}}
would expand with the same information but translates every word into German and sets the correct German links.
With this come one great advantage: Consistency and integrity. If the game patch now would change Blueberry to 20 food, we would only have to change 1 page and all other pages for all languages magically update this information!

That's why I created a new resource template which does exactly that. It's not finished yet, but it already does I quite good job (as I believe). The documentation shows some nice examples. However the one big problem are the symbiosises. =/

Used by the new resource template are three other templates that can also be used seperatly, namely one for Aspects, Symbiosises and Transmutations. The first one will create a link to an Aspect and provides an image based on the specified level. It also works with language codes. For example

{{Aspect|1|Leaf}}
will create
Aspect1.PNG
Aspect1.PNG (2.38 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
Adding a language code attribute will automatically translate it, for example

{{Aspect|1|Leaf|de}}
will create
Aspect2.PNG
Aspect2.PNG (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
The template can be found here: http://wiki.reusgame.com/index.php?titl ... ate:Aspect

The Transmutation template works similar, it just requires to specify the name of the transmuted resource, e.g.

{{Transmutation|Strawberry|1|Leaf}}
would result in
Trans1.PNG
Trans1.PNG (2.9 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
It also can be used with a language code and will translate the transmuted resource(+their links), as well as the aspect. However I have to add some more functionality to this tempalte because I forget to consider that a transmutation may be also possible with two different aspects. The template can be found at http://wiki.reusgame.com/index.php?titl ... nsmutation.

As I said the big problem are the symbiosises. There is a template for them: http://wiki.reusgame.com/index.php?titl ... :Symbiosis. But the automatic translation is much more difficult, because symbiosises can have many different trigger conditions. Some are easy to handle like: if next to .... But there are so many special cases... I'm still working on this case and have to think about how it's best to do. Hints and Help welcome. ;-)

Note that all those templates make heavy use of the MLsupport template introduced by PauloBelato. I think this is a very good and easy to use way to handle the translation single words or word groups within templates. I modified it a bit and move the actual words to different templates, so that every language now has a Dictionary template (e.g. see the German template, which already has many terms thanks to Micha :-)). Also if a term isn't defined in this dictionary the page will now be added to the "Missing Translation" category so that they can be found later.
I also don't think that too many terms in this template will decrease the performance of the site, because if it's clever implemented (which I strongly believe), they use something like hash tables and with them the search for the word within the switch statements is independet from the number of possible cases. So my proposol would be to fill up those dictionaries in the other languages. It also has another advantage: We have a nice overview of the mapping from the english word to the translated term which can also be used as a reference lookup.

Sooo.... that's quite some text... Now I want your opinions on this matter. =] I'm still improving those templates but the direction is clear. I'm also starting to implement those resource templates (like I already did for Blueberry and Strawberry), which is actually quite easy.
So what do you think of this? Is it useful? Am I missing something? Any other Feedback or suggestions?