[OFFICIAL] Linux & Mac topic

Bas
King of the Beta

[OFFICIAL] Linux & Mac topic

Post by Bas » Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Through this topic I want to officially announce that we are working on a Mac and Linux version of Reus. I will update this topic with updates once I have them.

How?
Reus is created in C# with XNA. Although XNA is quite nice we are going to strip it out completely and instead use MonoGame. This is a path walked by other developers like Supergiant Games of Bastion.

System Requirements
While porting I also hope to remove the restriction of a minimum requirement of a DirectX10 compatible graphics card. Reus actually runs like a charm on DirectX9 but the way we use XNA it requires a DirectX10 card.

Using MonoGame also allows us to modify the framework a little so we can optimize a few things here and there.

What are the steps
Below is a list of steps to complete. I will mark each one when its done so you can track my progress (I know these steps are vague).
  1. Integrate MonoGame into the existing Windows build (in progress..)
  2. Do some optimizations
  3. Release update containing the new system
  4. Either port to Mac or to Linux (depends on demand)
  5. Port to the other platform
ETA
Dunno yet.

How can I help?
I need testers and quite a lot at that. Once I made some progress I'll ask around here. So stick around! :D

Update 1

Drerhu

Re: Official Linux & Mac topic

Post by Drerhu » Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

If you need windows testers with a card not suitable for XNA, I could help you to test the perfomance (and I finally could play the game xD)

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Mon May 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Drerhu wrote:If you need windows testers with a card not suitable for XNA, I could help you to test the perfomance (and I finally could play the game xD)
Thanks Drerhu :) I'll contact you as soon as I have something to test.

bliksem

Re: [OFFICIAL] Linux & Mac topic

Post by bliksem » Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Happy to help with Mac testing. I have a retina MacBook Pro. Let me know if you need additional specs. I have a week off the week of May 27th (in a week) and could spend more time than otherwise if it would be helpful to test. But happy to help at any point.

... and if you are also looking at ports to iOS (iPad)... happy to test that as well.

Aklyon

Post by Aklyon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Drerhu wrote:If you need windows testers with a card not suitable for XNA, I could help you to test the perfomance (and I finally could play the game xD)
Hey Bas, you could do with another non-XNA tester, right? I'd like to help as well.

As to specs, I think a dxdiag of mine is still in the tech support forum here, but I could list it out again if you want.

Drerhu

Post by Drerhu » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Bas wrote:
Thanks Drerhu :) I'll contact you as soon as I have something to test.
Thank you so much Bas : )!

KameZero

Post by KameZero » Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 am

Are you going to be using vanilla monogame or something like flibit's SDL2 fork?

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 2:04 am

I'm playing on an insanely good computer so I don't know how helpfull I can be but I guess testing on as much different specs as possible should improve the stability.

So if you need me message me :D

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 pm

KameZero wrote:Are you going to be using vanilla monogame or something like flibit's SDL2 fork?
Well, I wont be using vanilla monogame because I already know that there is some stuff not implemented in there that we're using (Hardware Instancing for example). If the SDL2 branch is mature enough I'll definitely look into it. What are your recommendations?

x4s4lj4

Post by x4s4lj4 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm

I can make tests on Ubuntu if you want. :)