[OFFICIAL] Linux & Mac topic

Tollefar

Re: [OFFICIAL] Linux & Mac topic

Post by Tollefar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm

I'll be glad to test with my MacBook pro 13"!
Specs:
2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Arkelia

Post by Arkelia » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Hello,

I can help and test it on mac :
I use a MacBook pro 15" (2011 series) with :
- 8go ram
- i7 2,2GhZ
- AMD Radeom HD 6750M 512Mb

I should be able to find a Mountain lion too if needed with around the same spec.

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey People!

Thanks for all the support! When the time comes I will contact the lot of you. :)

Progress update
So far so good! Let me explain a little bit on what's actually going on in the Abbey. So far I have not touched MonoGame yet but instead removed quite a lot of XNA stuff and inserted custom code there. Earlier during the development of Reus we already did a little experiment with porting the game to MonoGame. This turned out the be very informative but extremely hard. We have a few internal tools that we use to create animations, texture atlasses and that kind of stuff. We use the XNA Content Pipeline extensively for that which over the year has caused us a lot of headaches. When we tried porting the game a problem arose that our tools all have dependencies on the XNA content pipeline which isn't available in MonoGame (not as well as I would've hoped at least). At the time we though: "well, lets just use XNA for our tools and MonoGame for the game itself", which in theory could work but in practice is a horrible task/idea because the entire MonoGame framework uses the exact same names and namespaces for all code, which caused all sorts of conflicts. We then hacked around that issues and could actually compile the game but it immediately crashed because of missing methods and whatnot. That's where our experiment ended and we gave up.

Now because MonoGame does not have complete support for the XNA content pipeline the way we want it, we are sort of building our own thingy. This may sound incredibly stupid and redundant but it has a few MAJOR advantages:
  • We can port the game easier.
  • Our build server will love us.
  • We can potentially optimize some of the content formats for the game (DXT compression in XNA SUCKS which is why we aren't using it, our implementation though works like a charm and could potentially reduce the used texture memory by 75%! Which comes with the extra benefit that we could fill that 75% with MOAR content as our texture budget was a problem)
  • We can hotswap our resources in development mode which allows us to create content MUCH quicker.
  • We can make all the content moddable!
When we removed the content pipeline I will start removing XNA all together and use MonoGame. We can then work on lowering the system requirements and after that and after thorough testing we'll throw it into the world so the game will run smoother, use less memory and most importantly run on lower end graphics cards.

I still am unable to give you a date because MonoGame is completely new territory for us and we have no clue on what we'll stumble upon. But through the forum I will certainly keep you posted. :)

Karkina14

Post by Karkina14 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:41 pm

I would be very willing to test! Luckily I also have a windows so I can play the game until then. : )
MacBook Pro OS 10.8.3
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Intel HD Graphics 4000/ NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Nevonen

Post by Nevonen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Have you guys and girls heard of Exen? It's isn't active sadly, but the author wrote a scavengers guide in the hopes that MonoGame would reuse his code. How that worked out I do not know, but hopefully you can get something useful out of it all.

On a semi-related note, you consider using SVG+JavaScript instead of XNA/MonoGame+C# in the future? This would make porting much easier, and as long as you stay in 2D land it shouldn't be problem. On the other hand you most likely have to sacrifice type safety and rely more on unit tests, which might take more time. Thoughts?

http://andrewrussell.net/exen/

zorroman1100

Post by zorroman1100 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm

If you need another beta tester I would love to help any way I can.

Specs:
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
OSX 10.8.4

I love this game :)

martin

Post by martin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm

I bought the game and tried to play it on my mac through Virtualbox, but it failed. So I'm willing to test the game, since i havent never got it up and running, if any os x versions comes available.

I have
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

shmoogin

Post by shmoogin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 am

Hey, linux user here. I'm willing to beta test. If I can help in any way let me know

I have
Laptop: Sony VAIO S Series
Operating System: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Processor: Intel i3-2310M
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Resolution: 1366x678
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile

holdendmcg

Post by holdendmcg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 am

When I saw the trailer for this game, I was so excited to play it. I have a Mac, so you can imagine my dismay when I realized it was Windows only. Alas, it seems you all working around the clock to fix that. I await the day and would be more than happy to be a tester when the time comes!

FuzzyPuffin

Post by FuzzyPuffin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

It looks like you have enough testers, but if not, I have:

13" MBP 2.4 ghz
4 GB RAM
320M

and

i5 2.8 Ghz
8 GB RAM
1 GB ATI Radeon 5850

both running OS X 10.8.4. I most recently beta tested Baldur's Gate: EE for OS X so I am very used to submitting many bug reports. :)