Patch #14, Ivan's new perk.

Saela

Patch #14, Ivan's new perk.

Postby Saela » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:52 am

- Ivan has a new captain perk! -1 Resolve. Gains +1 Supply Capacity after the 2nd and 3rd expedition.

This seems like a strange choice. He starts out with no perk at all, and then it grows until maxing out halfway through the game -- at which point it's slightly worse than a scientific paper that you can usually buy immediately after finishing Tutorial Island? Actually, it ranges from being "slightly worse" to "much worse" depending on which branches you take. Food bonuses in general seem weaker than most of the others, and his food bonus seems really weak.

Did I misunderstand something? I mean, I like that he got changed, but it just seems really odd. Is playing him supposed to be some kind of self-imposed handicap?

No offense intended. Just giving feedback.

Adriaan

Re: Patch #14, Ivan's new perk.

Postby Adriaan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Hey there!

He indeed starts out weaker than others. However, in general, food supply bonuses are regarded pretty high. In this case Ivan offers 1 or 2 extra exploration nodes (depending on where you are) without risking the chance of getting -30% penalties. Great for if you're hunting harder treasures in 4 or 5 star expeditions.

I'll have to see the numbers, maybe it is a little too weak. However, getting supply capacities is no small thing! If I would change it, I would make the second one +2.

Saela

Re: Patch #14, Ivan's new perk.

Postby Saela » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Man, after rereading my post, it sounds super snippy. Sorry about that! After struggling with Steam to be able to comment there for like 10 minutes* I was running late and wanted to finish the post if it killed me, so I threw it together in a hurry. Oops. :p

(*I have a weird thing with not wanting to set up a community profile for some reason.)

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to reply to me! I understand what you mean about food being highly regarded. It's certainly a very fun stat, because it simultaneously allows you to play each game longer while also being more forgiving of mistakes/taking risks. I really enjoy getting food bonuses. I guess part of it is that it's a "fun" bonus combined with a couple of unfun penalties. Having to wait 2-3 expeditions to get a bonus is kind of a drag, and -1 resolve works against the same stuff food helps -- you need to be more conservative and make fewer mistakes.

Also, for some reason, I have the weird (and now that I think of it, untested) assumption that the perks are all meant to improve scoring. I'm surprised food much with scoring, since it seems like the other perks are game-long % multipliers while a bit more food is very hit-or-miss, and on average an extra 0-2 nodes probably won't add much unless you get lucky. I'm sure you know the actual stats better than I do, though. I'm obviously just talking out my butt here!

Also, man, apparently I have a ton to say about food. Most of it doesn't relate to Ivan though and I feel like I'm being annoying by complaining (although it's sincerely meant as constructive feedback, it's a solid game either way!).

Anyway, I'll cut the food-talk short but I do want to say-

One thing that always drives me crazy is how you can be hovering just around 1-2 food for a while (eg running from supply node to supply node) and still take the hunger penalties every time. I know it's a niche situation, but it's always super frustrating how sitting at 1 food is effectively identical to sitting at 0 food. Is that actually intended behavior? I know there would be similarly frustrating issues if it were calculated before moving, but it still seems weird.

Return to “Strategy & Balance”