Shameless Start Scumming - er, "Starter Island Woes"

Saela

Shameless Start Scumming - er, "Starter Island Woes"

Post by Saela » Wed May 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Just two quick suggestions here, really. Either one would work, though having both together would be cool too :)

1) After beating the game at least once, give players the option of picking their starter island. Your starter island has a huge impact on how your entire game is going to play out, and often you can even predict how well/badly you're going to do based on how lucky or unlucky you get on the island.

I'm sure you already know this, since you included the "Restart expedition" button -- thanks for that! It's great. Even so, it can be frustrating to get Viking Landing 5x in a row when you want the Celtic island. Or the way the game taunts you by finally giving you the endless Celtic islands you dreamed about while you're trying to do a no-science challenge (grumble grumble).

On that note,

2) A way to disable the two introductory "I don't need the tutorial" messages would be great, too.

Maybe making start scumming easier isn't the direction you want to take, but I feel like the only people who would really (ab)use it are probably already doing it now despite it being a hassle. Making the most of a bad start can be fun, and it's a part of the roguelike genre, but it also kinda clashes with REIS's heavier focus on your final score.

Adriaan

Re: Shameless Start Scumming - er, "Starter Island Woes"

Post by Adriaan » Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 pm

You'll be happy to learn we're working on this ;)

Ullissen

Post by Ullissen » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 pm

I really like the way you've handled the Starter Island problem in the latest Beta patch, It keeps it random and nearly invisible for newcomers but also gives us veterans complete control. Almost the perfect solution I would say.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Sat May 14, 2016 6:08 pm

It was Rutger's idea. Pretty happy with the result!

Saela

Post by Saela » Wed May 18, 2016 5:42 am

Oh yay! Thank you so much :)

I opted into the "Experimental Version" of the beta, will check it out. Actually kind of surprised there's an open beta running, with the expansion beta also running now. Had no idea. If that's not intended then I guess this is a heads up about it :p

In any case, happy to hear it's being addressed! Starting a new game has always been the roughest part, so this should be nice.

Rutger

Post by Rutger » Wed May 18, 2016 10:15 am

The open beta is just for the patch coming out today, which does not contain this feature. Sorry! :(