A Few Suggestions

omphaloskepsis

A Few Suggestions

Postby omphaloskepsis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:49 pm

First, thanks for a really fun game. I had a blast with it this last weekend. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Two suggestions:

1. How about a Hall of Fame window? Have a screen that tracks and lists all of your high scores. Preferably available from both the main menu and within the game.

2. Provide more supplies in general, but especially in the Hungarian Fort region. I'm not sure what the intent was, but my ideal would be for it to be possible to explore a whole region without penalty if you get really lucky. Currently, it seems somewhat likely to have no resupply at all within HF for two reasons:
- the region can spawn with very low success chances (even for scouts)
- there are several tests (again with relatively low success probability) that remove supplies

I'm not suggesting big changes. How about increasing the max supply reward to 3, 4, or even 5 units? Rolling a success and getting one supply is just demotivating, and not particularly helpful (especially if you went a few hops out of your way). Having at least a chance of a decent payoff makes it worthwhile to at least consider going out of your way (or going back near the entry point, which often has a supply spawn).

Nilate

Re: A Few Suggestions

Postby Nilate » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:44 am

omphaloskepsis wrote:1. How about a Hall of Fame window? Have a screen that tracks and lists all of your high scores. Preferably available from both the main menu and within the game.

I have seen quite a few requests for something like a Hall of Fame window, specifically in this article that was shared today on Abbey Games' Twitter feed:
Renowned Explorers discovers an exciting new kind of combat Twitter link

omphaloskepsis wrote:2. Provide more supplies in general, but especially in the Hungarian Fort region.

I noticed that the Hungarian fort has quite a few supply nodes now (maybe it didn't when you posted). I found that my scout was especially useful during this expedition to pick up supplies along the way.

I remember struggling with this map a few times in the past. It has oscillated from easy to difficult, back to easy and maybe back again! I think this map can be difficult depending upon experience and selection of characters, the experience of the player and also somewhat dependent upon gained abilities from Research and items, and so on.

I wish you the best of luck completing the challenges in the Hungarian Fortress!

omphaloskepsis

Postby omphaloskepsis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:04 am

Yeah, I noticed the next time I played that there were a lot more supply nodes, but I still probably average less than 1 supply unit per node, because of failures and dismal payouts even on success. But it may be that I was trying too aggressively to visit a lot of nodes. I do wish that the max possible payout would be raised to at least 3 (for all nodes), though. Between the current payouts and the risk of failure, it doesn't make sense to visit supply nodes unless they're right in your path.

I'm a fan of quarter to three because I feel like the reviews are both critical and honest, so it's nice to see Tom give big props for REIS. BTW, while we're talking Hall of Fame, I'd like to add to my suggestion.

I'd like to see a Hall of Fame page, that's:
- Viewable from both the main menu and in-game
- Lists the group members for each listed score

Adriaan

Postby Adriaan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey there! Thanks for the suggestions!

We're currently looking into a hall of fame, but it will take somewhat longer to make it. The supply nodes on the hungarian fort can indeed be a bit wishy-washy. I will take a look at it's balance later. :)

Return to “Suggestions”