New player questions

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
Vacuity

New player questions

Postby Vacuity » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 am

Hi,

I picked up this game on the Steam winter sale and have found it very hard to put down after I first tried playing it. It's very involving and challenging. Great design!

I do have a few questions though.

Firstly, greed:

I understand that I can use danger and awe to control a town's greed growth, but if (when) a town has already developed greed, what can I do to lower it other that wait for them to attack a giant and then throw a muck bomb at them?

Secondly, zooming:

I have a large, hi-res monitor, it would be really useful to be able to get a mid-zoom level, but it doesn't seem possible, I can view either a very small area or the whole of myself but nothing in between. Am I missing something?

Thirdly, violent projects;

Some projects require the village to destroy their nearest neighbour. Is there any way in which these projects are helpful in the longer run of either that particular game or unlocks for future games? It seems that specific projects are not tied to unlocks and obviously wiping out a village is generally detrimental to reaching higher levels of prosperity for the unlocks I am aiming for. What's the best way to handle these projects? Help them succeed? Deliberately fail them? "Accidentally" knock over the project building?
The game I am partway through has had one village build a sacrifice altar followed by a historic point. It's really playing havoc with my attempt to reach the global prosperity totals I'm trying to reach.

Fourthly, other projects;

I also had serious problems with the geologist project. This one happened with a swamp village which had a border *near* the mountain range, but the structure was almost at the border of the village's range. On the other side of the village's range was, of course, a sea. I read a thread which says that there's no way to affect the rate at which my villages' borders expand, so, if the village can't go to the mountains, bring the mountains to the village, right? But I can't; the project is too close to the border, raising mountains close enough to meet the target would destroy the project itself. Again, am I missing something? Is there a way to get around this and meet the target without messing up the biomes or neighbouring villages?

In my current game, I have one swamp village persistently trying to build the geologist project (and failing) and the other persistently trying to build the mad scientist project and failing to beat their neighbour who is at this point stronger and better developed than they are (at least in part because they've stomped *their* other neighbour twice for their own projects). That means I *cannot* get any more swamp ambassadors at present, and so cannot get several "great" natural sources or access quite a few aspects. It's causing me more and more trouble as the game progresses and I still cannot access numerous natural sources.

I may well have other questions as I go through, thanks in advance for answers and advice, and thanks to the developers; you've created a very engaging set of mechanics, the quantity of detail in the way natural sources, aspects, symbioses, and transmutations all work together is really quite brain-twistingly involving.

Touriste

Re: New player questions

Postby Touriste » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello ! Welcome to Reus' Forum :)

1. Greed slowly decrease with time only, you need to wait and during this time, you have to NOT encounter the case where you are at full speed gathering resources (the 3 red arrows)

2. Sadly, there is no mid zoom, so you miss nothing :/

3. There is a Steam achievement for those peculiars projects, if you want to achieve more prosperity, you'll have to destroy not so accidentally (in order to make them remember :D) this project.

4. Project generation (placement and goals) is kinda random, the best way to deal with a project you can't keep up with is to destroy it.

I hope those answers help you and if not, make sure to point out the flaws in it :)
Have a good day !

Vacuity

Postby Vacuity » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Touriste wrote:Hello ! Welcome to Reus' Forum :)

Thank you!

I'm getting a stronger and stronger feeling for the direct trade off between time spent developing slowly and greed generated. If you do a whole lot of development in one village, it's faster, but the greed goes up more, if you spend more time moving your giants between villages to develop a bit at a time, you get less greed, but everything takes longer.

I'm not too bothered about steam achievements, what I care about right now is the unlocks. I'm quite happy with the way my current game is working out; I won't make that many unlocks, but I believe I can make the tier 2 plants only, minerals only, 8 mountain patches, and 30+ danger achievements/unlocks on this game, all of which require some organisation.

I'm also seeing firsthand that having better sources is far more important than having better (or access to all) aspects. I'm really suffering for a lack of great food animals and tech minerals, and having access to some of the greater aspects just doesn't make up for it. At all.

As an aside, I've seen you're one of the most active posters on these boards, do you remember all this info? Do you find the game highly replayable? I'm kinda wondering (no offence intended to the developers) how much I'll play after I've managed all the unlocks.

Touriste

Postby Touriste » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 pm

I do remember all this info, you can find most of it on Reus' wiki ( Here :) )
I don't think in the current state this game can be play a lot of time but you can easily spend 60+ hours depending on your pace and how you like playing "just for fun", creating a planet and towns and such things !
There are some "challenges" once you manage to unlock all the developments :)

Greed is generated only by the difference between AWE and resources gathered (you have a description when you hover over AWE on village description)

Good luck with the achievements :)

Vacuity

Postby Vacuity » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm getting a little frustrated with one of my village's choice of project. They persistently choose the Mad Scientist project. I loaded my save, and within a minute the village chose the Mad Scientist project, under those circumstances, I just reloaded. Twice. When they chose the Mad Scientist project the third time I just knocked it over and carried on playing. Four times now. This is now six times in a row they've chosen the Mad Scientist project. I understand that assuming it's a 50:50 between this and the Alchemist, that's only a 1/64 chance, and is hardly stretching the boundaries of random chance, but it is stretching my patience somewhat. Should I knock over the underlying project (a Druid) as well or will it eventually give me the Alchemist project?

Touriste

Postby Touriste » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't know much about the percentage and if it is a fixed one for each or if there are variables.
You can't destroy a completed project ^^.
I don't think you can change the issue by saving/reloading but only by destroyin' the project, not sure though :)

Vacuity

Postby Vacuity » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 am

I had to knock it over a further twice before they gave up and tried to build an alchemist. That's 1 in 64 sans reloads, and 1 in 256 including the initial two reloads. As I said, not beyond the point of belief, but quite annoying all the same as time is ticking.

To the developers (if you're reading), would it be possible to add a "weight" to these choices based on whether the player already knocked over a project? It seems a bit excessive to have to knock it over eight or ten times.

lauragibs

Postby lauragibs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:08 am

the same has actually happened to me

Return to “General”