Yet another "font too small" thread

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
Zumao

Yet another "font too small" thread

Post by Zumao » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:04 pm

I've been digging around the forum a bit, and can't find any recent updates on the plans going forward for font issues.

I absolutely want to play this game. But my screen makes it nearly impossible to do and my eyes hurt from what little I played. I've tried magnification, but that is a hassle. I could just mess with the game, but playing through the tutorials is much better than wandering aimlessly.

I just want to be able to play the game that I have heard about and wanted since I saw it.

So... I know you guys are working on it, which is great, but any idea when it'll be out? Right now it is unplayable for me. If there is anything I can do to modify the font size I'm willing, but right now it's just hurting my eyes too much.

flan

Re: Yet another "font too small" thread

Post by flan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

I can't play this game. :( I was really excited to play it after purchasing it, but the small HUD, fonts, and icons makes this game unplayable. I literally lose motivation to continue every time I have to shove my face near my computer monitor just to read the HUD's contents.

Please, this is very important. No matter how good the game is, this one issue keeps a lot of us from truly enjoying your work!

I'm on Linux if that matters. I heard that this issue effects all versions of the game: Windows, Linux, and Mac

Maarten

Post by Maarten » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 pm

This was a poor design choice on our part, we did not expect the font size to become an issue before it was to late. Sadly, fixing this issue requires a full redesign of the whole game UI. If there was a more easy solution, we'd fix it. For now, there's no real fix. I'm sorry.

We've learned from this and the UI for Renowned Explorers will be fully scalable.

Zumao

Post by Zumao » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Maarten wrote:This was a poor design choice on our part, we did not expect the font size to become an issue before it was to late. Sadly, fixing this issue requires a full redesign of the whole game UI. If there was a more easy solution, we'd fix it. For now, there's no real fix. I'm sorry.

We've learned from this and the UI for Renowned Explorers will be fully scalable.
Fear not! For in the thread for renowned explorers a solution was given to me.

Simply leave it full screen, but drop the resolution to 1600x900 (or whatever native aspect ratio there is).

For me, at least, it has made the game playable, the slight loss in graphic quality is far less serious than the inability to get through the tutorials and learn how to play the game. I may, after becoming familiar enough with the controls, be able to resume playing at native resolution. But for now - this seems to have fixed the game.

I highly recommend that Abbey Games make sure to remind people that this is an option, for I see this all over the place and until someone recommended it to me I did not think of it. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the best one, but the one you never try because you think it has been done before.

reeta

Post by reeta » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 am

This should have been fixed last week. Let us know if you still experience problems!