Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Stop overwriting my crucial tiles with challenge buildings!

Babbalabam

Stop overwriting my crucial tiles with challenge buildings!

Post by Babbalabam » Sat May 18, 2013 6:01 am

Very annoying to get a crucial symbiosis tile overwritten with a building that often can't be demolished without destroying adjacent tiles.

Adriaan

Re: Stop overwriting my crucial tiles with challenge buildin

Post by Adriaan » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Humans are a pain, right? :P

But in all seriousness, they should pick the least valuable patch...

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Adriaan wrote:Humans are a pain, right? :P

even so, it can be frustrating when they choose a tile that is so wrong for the project's specialization :

Villager :what? we get bonuses from neighbouring minerals with this project ? let's build it on the one patch between water and village !
Giant : Why would you do that ?
Villager : it looks nice !
Giant: sigh...

still it's a small thing, not something that will prevent me from exploring that great game ^^

Babbalabam

Post by Babbalabam » Sat May 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Adriaan wrote:Humans are a pain, right? :P

Yes, they did pick the least valuable patch, but that patch gave lots of symbiosis.

AND, there were lots of free ocean squares where they instead could have started the Lighthouse (instead of starting it the very second time ran out. Yes, humans ARE a pain ;) )

A way to cancel/demolish/overwrite their puny projects would be great, though.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 pm

You can destroy them with earthquake of muck bomb if you want. Most of the time you don't lose something very precious anyways. (or migrate something precious! Did you know migrate also heals natural sources? True story!)

MGreyson

Post by MGreyson » Sat May 18, 2013 11:32 pm

While I do find that sometimes a bit frustrating, what really bugs me is the initial project placement. The game super encourages symbioses, and single resources are usually...less than impressive. It's a dynamic I really like, that is then really harmed by the fact that most villages start their first project 1 space away from a settlement? Why? Is it just an artificial increase to difficulty?

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 pm

I think also because it can develop into projects like alchemist, that turns each adjecant tech into two economy.

zetasai

Post by zetasai » Sun May 19, 2013 7:02 pm

It would be nice if the projects were started on a layer between the giants and the tiles but still on a tile.

Edit: I also agree that the human placement of projects is quite annoying.

valmlor

Post by valmlor » Sun May 19, 2013 10:01 pm

annoying? I would say it is a very bad mistake that's making the game very frustrating and barely playable after a while. I cant believe anyone at Abbey thoutgh of that earlier, didnt you playtest it? make me think about bad 90 nes game....

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 am

valmlor wrote:annoying? I would say it is a very bad mistake that's making the game very frustrating and barely playable after a while. I cant believe anyone at Abbey thoutgh of that earlier, didnt you playtest it? make me think about bad 90 nes game....
I'm sorry to hear it ruins the experience for you so much. In the playtests this seemed to be way less of an issue, and there are many ways to prevent this from happening or working with it. But obviously the playtests are not always 100% representative as we see here.

I myself kinda like the humans doing whatever they want, and also think it gives for a more diverse puzzle and view. But I totally understand the pain, and I will look into it to improve this by making patches near projects more valuable. I hope in that way, you'll think twice before deciding it sucks. :)

If it really hurts the experience to much, I would suggest to lay down Reus for a bit, keep an eye on the forum and wait a bit till we patch this. It's the best I can offer, and once again, I'm sorry to see it keeps you from playing.