Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Is multiplayer even possible?

Touriste
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Is multiplayer even possible?

Post by Touriste » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm

VDZ wrote:I wonder why it has to be this difficult.

Wouldn't it be fun if you'd simply have the normal Reus gameplay, but with two (or more) players sending commands to giants/upgrading resources/otherwise providing input? I don't really see the need for an additional 4 giants if you can just share the ones you have already. Sure, more complicated stuff is possible, but is it necessary? I think it would already be fun if you could just play the exact same game as is, but with two players.

On the technical side, the only real problem would be in keeping the two games synced properly, as Reus has a lot of information that has to be shared (though I'd say it's definitely doable). Aside from syncing it's just a matter of relaying actions (move rock giant to X, Y, make rock giant create precious minerals, etc) and adding a chat feature.
Well, the single player is fun because you can plan what you want to do and act as soon as a project appears.
Think of AFK players, because I can not see the multiplayer with a "pause" command.
Maybe add this in "local network" would be fun, because you can play with friends but it has just less potential than the singleplayer, unless pause is possible.

I definitely think the multiplayer should be different from the single player.

ollj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ollj » Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 pm

The simplest multiplayer is where one player can only controll exactly 1 or 2 giants.

I wonder where such a sandbox would go. will 1 player favour 1 city over another simply by being limited over crontrolling jsut a few of the giants?

Will they cooperate and be more efficient or will they strugleover ambassadors.

Ebu

Post by Ebu » Tue May 28, 2013 12:48 am

After 5 mins playing Reus that wish appeared - Wouldn't it be great if I could try this with my friend/s at co-op/competitive mode? It reminds me the Settlers of Catan, so there might be a great pontential at multiplayer version.

Darexon

Post by Darexon » Tue May 28, 2013 2:05 am

Ebu wrote:After 5 mins playing Reus that wish appeared - Wouldn't it be great if I could try this with my friend/s at co-op/competitive mode? It reminds me the Settlers of Catan, so there might be a great pontential at multiplayer version.
Developers have said in an interview that they do not plan on implementing multiplayer any time soon.