Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

New Free Play Options?

Apollad

New Free Play Options?

Post by Apollad » Wed May 22, 2013 4:07 pm

After playing this game and having honestly quite a ball of fun I began to turn to Free Play, so i could develop a world at my leisure, however i quickly came to realize that i was almost as limited as i was Era mode, 3 Giants with a limit of 4 Ambassadors on a 100 tile world.The only thing that i was free from is Time. It's not ex-actually suitable to make a world that had numerous towns (5+) that were all extremely prosperous and violent towards one another.

Or a world where most of the planet is contained and barely able to survive against the dangers of the wild, except for a single mega city on the opposite side to all of the danger who's greed and desires to control the entire planet are unrivaled, sending army after army to attack all the fearful towns, who only have the heroic efforts of the Giants and the incredible danger outside their borders to defend them (Sort of like a Redeeming Factor, the Giants/player let things get out of hand, and now is fighting a war to redeem themselves)

However do to such things would require more Giants at 4 ambassadors/Giant than the player has at the moment, indeed, to unlock everything you need 3 of each Giant on the map (from what i can tell).

Once a player has progressed far enough (For example, there are 3 levels at the moment, I'd say after unlocking a 4th level, or even after completing all the developments), allow the player to have something like the following free play options available.

Number of Each Type of Giant: which could be 1, 2 or 3

Number of Tiles on the World: Right now, for a Free play, 100 tiles seems kind of tiny unfortunately, i would love if you were able to increase the number of tiles by say, increments of 50 up to maybe 600 tiles, although some might want even larger ones.

Choose Which Project a Settlement Starts: Self Explanatory, can be really annoying when a settlement decides to build a Grainy which gives +food for each plant in the settlements borders, or some other land based building that doesn't give bonuses from animals in borders when it's on the coast, and the only natural sources placed down is a pair of clown fish in the borders on the ocean. And the project generation decides to not throw down docks multiple times in a row.

Choose where to Plant Projects: This came up as an idea after another topic in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=502 Rather Self Explanatory as well.

Adriaan

Re: New Free Play Options?

Post by Adriaan » Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 pm

New freeplay options is definitally in the idea pool!

UristMcDorf

Post by UristMcDorf » Wed May 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Apollad wrote:who only have the heroic efforts of the Giants and the incredible danger outside their borders to defend them
That actually is an interesting suggestion. Would it be possible to add hazardous patches (or, better yet, aspects for existing patches) that affect armies walking over them? Slowing, damage, that sort of thing.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

UristMcDorf wrote:
Apollad wrote:who only have the heroic efforts of the Giants and the incredible danger outside their borders to defend them
That actually is an interesting suggestion. Would it be possible to add hazardous patches (or, better yet, aspects for existing patches) that affect armies walking over them? Slowing, damage, that sort of thing.
They are slower on the ocean I think and animal danger does damage the army walking by (and the crowd against giants).

UristMcDorf

Post by UristMcDorf » Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Touriste wrote:
UristMcDorf wrote:
They are slower on the ocean I think and animal danger does damage the army walking by (and the crowd against giants).
Oh, I didn't notice that. Nevermind then. Though it still could be used for future aspects.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Wed May 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Yes sure I totally agree with you :)
Maybe some "moral" marks, a low moral army would be easily destroyed or something like that

Chaz0r

Post by Chaz0r » Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 am

Adriaan wrote:New freeplay options is definitally in the idea pool!
Very good. Free play is one of the games aspects which should be improved. I really love the game so far, one of the best Indie-Games I've ever played, but I don't see a real reason for free play in the current state. Building and managing towns is fun, but should be more epic for free play.

ducken

Post by ducken » Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 am

Remove the ambassador limit per giant in free play!

Dak0m

Post by Dak0m » Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Adriaan wrote:New freeplay options is definitally in the idea pool!
I've been immensely enjoying the game, for the past couple of days, and I just made an account to make a topic about this very thing. Thank you so much for considering an idea of this sort XD.

There's a topic on another forum where a user says this, which I think goes almost exactly along my own thoughts:

""The things that would help me progress in the game are still locked, so progression becomes a very linear experience. "You cant this this until you have that, you cant have that until you get those". I just wanna build and experiment."" -orange4444

I haven't unlocked many things, because I simply get carried away doing other things and before I know it, over two hours have gone by and I'm still trying to get all of my giant's abilities unlocked :P To be able to experiment with all of the different plants animals sometime sooner than later, in free mode, would be incredibly fun for me.
Last edited by Dak0m on Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spyre2k

Post by Spyre2k » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

How about the ability to remove advisers in Freeplay? That way you can respec your Giants if you want to work down a different path. Simply have something like you click on an adviser portrait and then it prompts if you want to remove them. The adviser is then gone to prevent giant hopping advisers so you need to complete a new project instead.

As for Free Play options some settings menu options going in could be nice, Here are some ideas.

Fearless Villagers : Villagers are unaffected by Danger level so it doesn't stop Greed
Selfish Villagers : Villages default with -20 Awe, meaning by default any growth will cause greed.
Waring Tribes : Villages are always considering War regardless of greed level
No Terraforming : Pre-generated Biomes and Giants may not use their landscape changing abilities.
Natural Disasters : Every 30/60/120 (selectable by player at start) one of the 4 Giant's Terraforming abilities is used at a random location on the map.
Helpful Villagers : Villages always give Adviser regardless of previous number of projects completed.
Fear of Giants : Villagers never attack Giants
World Peace : Villagers never go to war regardless of greed
Rapid Expansion : Village Borders expand twice as fast.
Plentiful Nomads : There is always more nomads waiting to settle, instead of only appearing after prosperity level is reached.

This would let players tweak how they want to play the game. Those looking for more of a challenge could do Selfish Villagers and Waring Tribes so they have to be very careful in growth all while keeping the humans from killing each other. Mean while someone looking to just build large cities without having to worry about conflict could take Fear of Giants along with World Peace. And those looking for some crazy action could combine No Terraforming with Natural Disasters to force them to deal with the ever changing terrain they are given.