Larger Planet?

MadmanMario

Larger Planet?

Post by MadmanMario » Sat May 25, 2013 11:26 am

Firstly, hello world, this is my first post upon this forum.

To cut to the chase, I'm finding that the planet's current size is a bit... lacking. I'm struggling with the challenge of six villages with 150 prosperity (I nearly made it but I guess one of the projects failed near the end). If I had a bit more room to work with I feel that I could have done it a bit easier. I don't know exactly how many tiles I have to work with (only that the villages themselves are four tiles in size), and I suppose I have to get some experience still, but the game is hard when you're juggling six villages - especially when you accidentally make them greedy (I struggle with getting Awe to a decent level; any advice therewith would be appreciated)

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. In short, the planet feels a bit too small to juggle any more than five villages successfully.

Kalil

Re: Larger Planet?

Post by Kalil » Sat May 25, 2013 1:24 pm

The world is 100 tiles around. With six cities and their projects, that leaves you 70 tiles to spare.
I'd suggest looking at some of the tips and tricks and guides on the forums and wikis for advice.

The two main ways to handle greed are Awe and Danger. Depending on your terrain and build, danger might be a lot easier, though it takes some getting used to. As long as a village is in the 'sweet spot' for danger, greed will not increase. Hunt Aspect and Predator Aspect are your friends, there.

The other thing that makes a huge difference for building Prosperity is having upgraded resources. Make sure you design your ambassador builds to take advantage of them. By the time you reach 2 ambassadors on each giant, I'd recommend having at least one Swamp on the Ocean Giant, at least one Forest on the Forest giant, a Desert and a Swamp on the Rock Giant, and a Forest and a Desert on the Swamp Giant. Aspects can be customized from there, but that baseline will ensure that you have level two resources to build with. Most level two resources are twice as good as their level one equivalents, have an extra aspect slot, and can be upgraded further than the level 1's.

EDIT: Also, if Greed getting out of control is what brought you down, a larger world wouldn't help much - greed is created by rapid growth, and a larger world is unlikely to slow you down.

MadmanMario

Post by MadmanMario » Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I need to try that out sometime, thanks.

And a second point, maybe the planet size could be an option. Smaller or larger planets bring their own challenges.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Sun May 26, 2013 12:31 am

MadmanMario wrote:I need to try that out sometime, thanks.

And a second point, maybe the planet size could be an option. Smaller or larger planets bring their own challenges.
I believe the Devs are considering a larger world option, and I agree it could be fun, especially on FreePlay.

Modest

Post by Modest » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 am

I agree that larger worlds, as well as smaller would be great. Also it would be nice to have option "Random World Size" where planet size may vary betwen smallest and largest. You know, if I choose small world, than I get 75 titles, normal is 100, and large 150 (numbers just as examples). And those numbers are set. But random may give me anything betwen 75 and 150, not only those three possibilities. So it could be for example 129 titles, or 82, or 101... Or maybe even better - maybe before creation of world, You could just type in manualy Your desired size (in certian limits of course, as playing in 10 titles world would be, if not impossible than very strange).

ollj

Post by ollj » Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 pm

A larger planet would make aurora too important and some natural-ressources much stronger than others.
Gold and uranium would be much worse on a larger planet.

MidrealmDM

Post by MidrealmDM » Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm

MadmanMario wrote:Firstly, hello world, this is my first post upon this forum.

To cut to the chase, I'm finding that the planet's current size is a bit... lacking. I'm struggling with the challenge of six villages with 150 prosperity (I nearly made it but I guess one of the projects failed near the end). If I had a bit more room to work with I feel that I could have done it a bit easier. I don't know exactly how many tiles I have to work with (only that the villages themselves are four tiles in size).
Each Biome (Desert, Forest, Swamp) is about 15 tiles
Mountains are 5 and oceans are 7 - so a quick count will show you cant fit them ll in without some overlap.
To make it fit, some villages will have to be nearer to water (fishing villages) and others will have some of their territory in mountains, but it works out quite well.

Working clockwise around the planet =>
Place an Ocean
= Use the create Mountain on the far edge of the ocean to 'narrow' it a bit
Place a Swamp Adjacent
Place a Mountain Adjacent to the swamp, you may want to overlap a bit
=> This will Create a Desert
Continue clockwise and Place another Mountain overlapping the last few squares of your new desert
=> This will Creates another Desert
Skip over the desert and place an ocean on the far side
=> The previous desert will convert to Forest
Place a Swamp adjacent to the new Ocean
Place a Mountain Adjacent to he new swamp
=> This will Create another Desert
This should get you full circle and place a final forest on the counter-clockwise side of your first ocean

Two deserts, two forests, two swamps

Placement of the initial few resources can guide the placement of village center, this helps in spreading them out as much as possible.
For example, if you want your first village to be a fishing village, just place fish only, they will settle very close to the water. as nomads move out, they tend to settle at the first available place adjacent to resources.

coanda

Post by coanda » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Oceans are actually 9, not 7. But you can narrow them down to just 6 with the mountain giant.

100 tile world. 6 villages. 16.67 tiles per village. Village itself takes up 4 in the middle, so you want roughly...

Village - 12 spaces - village - 12 spaces - village - ....
That leaves you with 4 spare spaces to play with as you want.

The planet size as it stands now is fine for challenge purposes. A larger world might be interesting just as a playground for trying out different strategies.

Feneris

Post by Feneris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 am

I think many of us would definitely like a larger planet to mess around in, especially in Freeplay games. However, there could be say challanges related to the size of a planet.

Example: Have six villags with X prosperity on a small planet. Or say... Have three villages each encompassing X amount of squares. X being a huge number, making it very important that none of the villages get razed and still have enough room to grow.

beichtvater

Post by beichtvater » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:32 am

Yes, I would like to see big planets.
But not the simply big.
Different planets, as in Harvest Massive Encounter.
Different features, good and bad.
Rains, winds, mountains, caves, a lava which will hinder or help.
Something that it is required to remove to make a place liveable, or on the contrary, directly to lodge nearby.
For example, the forest village is necessary to you, and the planet got all in mountains. That clears up.

It would make game more similar on godsim. Because you should change also something, besides, how to create. Any additional variety.