Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Java Reus Clone [Alpha Phase]

Magalter

Java Reus Clone [Alpha Phase]

Post by Magalter » Mon May 27, 2013 12:34 am

I like Reus and I like coding in java, so i made a small clone of the game.
I don't want to make any problems considering commercial things, so its just for fun.
Please keep in mind that it is in early development and many features have to be implmented yet.
Additionaly I made some changes to the game itself so it is not exactly like the original but that is just me inventing new ideas for Reus ;)
All in all my version isn't so high at all.
I will post all update progress in this thread.

Download link for the current version: http://reus.magalter.de/godGame.jar (executable jar file)

Adriaan

Re: Java Reus Clone [Alpha Phase]

Post by Adriaan » Mon May 27, 2013 9:48 am

very cool! Looks like one of my earlier gamemaker prototypes! :D

Magalter

Post by Magalter » Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 am

Adriaan wrote:very cool! Looks like one of my earlier gamemaker prototypes! :D
ha lol :D Game Maker is a nice software, but the free edition is quite limited, so I went over to Java. (actually I dont learned C++ yet but Java is more linux friendly i think)
It realy looks more like a prototype and I'm not sure if I've got the skill to ever make it as good as the original.
But the good thing is: I'm still practicing and every little project will bring me further.

ollj

Post by ollj » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am

I like reus and the games its inspired by and i started cloning it in "second life" script, wich compiles in "mono" in an object orientated virual 3d environment that imposes many limits on processing speed and object count. The script language is limited to objects with 64k for program code, stack and heap combined. it only knows linear lists and it doesnt even know booleans.

But my concepts go far beyong copying reus. I mostly use this as practice in minimalistic programming (memory efficient routines for complex trigonometry and list functions)

I just began making plans for a game inspired a lot by reus core mechanics BUT more dynamic in its objects by creating them on the fly from even smaller elements.
Also by making the world a 3d sphere of a triangulated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truncated_icosahedron (aka C60 buckyball / soccer ball).

---

so what are the devs stances of using assets and decompiled source code?

Maarten

Post by Maarten » Fri May 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Reminds me of a prototype I made, back when Reus was still very much focused on simulation.
simulation.png
simulation.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Simulated are rainfall, cloud generation, river flow and factors like temperature, moisture and fertility are displayed at the top.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

Maarten wrote:Reminds me of a prototype I made, back when Reus was still very much focused on simulation.
simulation.png
Simulated are rainfall, cloud generation, river flow and factors like temperature, moisture and fertility are displayed at the top.
Sort of like a side-scrolling simearth/simlife? Interesting.