Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Endless/sandbox mode

Post Reply
Bobthedog
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Bobthedog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Hey everyone! (first post)

So, one thing I'd like to see in Reus is a mode where you can play with "everything unlocked" and just build on and on. In fact, as soon as I completed all the unlocks (before the patch) I checked the new game menu for a similar option, but there's only Freeplay, which doesn't really offer what I expected.

Specifically, what I want is a mode where getting ALL aspects up to superior is possible, therefore making all sources "reachable". I want to be able to *gasp* have a Moose next to an Orange Tree.

Some ideas on how it could work:

- Reduced level requirements. Instead of the Ocean giant needing at least 3 of each ambassador to reach lvl 3 aspects, he could need 1 desert for growth, 1 swamp for herd and 1 forest for crystal (did I get those right?). This way, you would still need to mind which ambassadors you get (no use having only desert cities), but when you finish building up your ambassadors, all giant actions would be lvl 3.

- Make all requirements generic. When a giant has 1 ambassador, all actions are unlocked. With 2 ambassadors, they get Lvl 2 sources and special actions. With 3 ambassadors, they get lvl 2 aspects. With 4 ambassadors, they get Lvl 3 everything. This gives players more freedom to build whatever world they want and still be able to build every source.

- All free. No ambassadors. Giants begin with everything maxed and all you have to do is keep greed under control while those villages explode with prosperity.

As I mentioned, I also think it would be a nice idea to have this mode unlock after completing all developments (except the new challenges). It would be somewhat pointless to play this mode while the top-tier sources are still locked.

So, what do you guys think?

User avatar
Touriste
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 am
Location: France, Ile de France

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Touriste » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 am

It could work with some options :
- Planet size
- No greed
- Infinite border growth
- Giant maxed

The main problem is to not let the achievements worth nothing anymore, because if you have access to everything right when you start the game well ...
It would kill the game

Bobthedog
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Bobthedog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 am

Well, I'm guessing this mode would not count for developments, same as Freeplay.

In fact, the way you describe it, it could also work as a settings screen for Freeplay. Before you start a freeplay game, you get a menu where you can change planet size, greed, border limitations and giant power level. That would also be nice.

User avatar
Adriaan
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Adriaan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Bobthedog wrote:Well, I'm guessing this mode would not count for developments, same as Freeplay.

In fact, the way you describe it, it could also work as a settings screen for Freeplay. Before you start a freeplay game, you get a menu where you can change planet size, greed, border limitations and giant power level. That would also be nice.
It would be nice, wouldn't it? ;)

More elaborate freeplay options is certainly being considered for those freeplayers in you!

naughtyfins
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 5:25 am

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by naughtyfins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

I would like it if there were an option to select a victory condition for freeplay/sandbox mode. Something difficult to attain even with unlimited time, a sort of long term objective.

purringcat
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by purringcat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Touriste wrote:It could work with some options :
- Planet size
- No greed
- Infinite border growth
- Giant maxed

The main problem is to not let the achievements worth nothing anymore, because if you have access to everything right when you start the game well ...
It would kill the game
Not if you added another category called unlocked. It would give us a chance to try out combinations that create Symbosis but too often result in reduced resources. That's frustrating in a time constrained game.

Yxklyx
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Yxklyx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 pm

naughtyfins wrote:I would like it if there were an option to select a victory condition for freeplay/sandbox mode. Something difficult to attain even with unlimited time, a sort of long term objective.
Yeah, freeplay needs some goal. Right now, I'm only just playing to see how the level 3 resources work. Maybe something like a Wonder you can build. Different Wonders requiring different resources, etc...

Also, how about something like a Game Score, based on things like time, resources, etc...

Alplod
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Alplod » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Nice idea) Even in the sence that more options are better than one)

I'd call it munchkin mode:)

beichtvater
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by beichtvater » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 am

Touriste wrote:The main problem is to not let the achievements worth nothing anymore, because if you have access to everything right when you start the game well ...
It would kill the game
I don't agree with you so as far as it generally is possible. I will explain.

I compare process to drawing, you take a canvas, and you draw on it something, according to jobs of people, for settlement development. But if I draw, I want to use all colors what I will want. And I don't know any painter who before work would decide: what to it such to forbid itself. It is absurd.

I am angry that for the unclear reason I can't draw that I want. And I don't understand the reason for which it isn't allowed to me.
Each game instead of deciding, what such to make, I for some reason shall decide without what I should remain.

And more.
Each game begins absolutely equally, and it is called: "collecting ambassadors".
Each devil's time occurs same, and I shall suffer this "same" before I will start doing that is pleasant to me. And each time I all the same can receive no more than a half of what could. But always I see on a panel that could be if everything was arranged correctly. And it doesn't give me absolutely any pleasure.
And you the truth, quite seriously, in senses want to tell, what IT doesn't kill game?
"don't force players to repeat the same tiresome task" - rule, old, as games.
Perhaps I would like to see the big campaign from several eras, the beginning of which gives me the giants of the previous one, which I will not have to develop from scratch in the 35 th time.
Several eras in which the Giants will develop from time to time, on and on, until they reach a logical ending.

But even in one specific game I want to have in the ending all available an opportunity to select as where I want to see. And in any way I don't want to see that I can't make something conceived because of any silly conditionality.

You are afraid, what it will kill game?
Set for the player big tasks which will be difficult to be executed even having all possible resources.
Force them to decide how to locate a puzzle depending on project changes to receive the sufficient final result, but not how still to restrict them in a decision choice.

The main problem is to not let the achievements worth nothing anymore, the main problem in YOUR imagination and desire to make something rather difficult.

//Sorry for my english, if that.
Yours faithfully.

User avatar
Touriste
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 am
Location: France, Ile de France

Re: Endless/sandbox mode

Post by Touriste » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:48 am

To beichtvater
I understand your point of view and agree with it as far as it goes to the comparison with a drawing, if you create something, you want to have no limits.
In a game specifically designed for that (i.e Garry's Mod) you have a lot of materials to play with, this game is, imo, not designed for that because it's not a creation tool.
beichtvater wrote:You are afraid, what it will kill game?
Set for the player big tasks which will be difficult to be executed even having all possible resources.
Force them to decide how to locate a puzzle depending on project changes to receive the sufficient final result, but not how still to restrict them in a decision choice.
The "difficult big tasks" already exists in the game.
You are forgetting that some players will not play a lot of time at this game and only try it out sometimes to have casual fun. I do not believe that a game with "difficult tasks" only is fun, it needs some introduction to the game first to understand its mechanics.

My point is : unlock everything right at the beginning is killing a part of the game itself, the introduction to it.
beichtvater wrote:And more.
Each game begins absolutely equally, and it is called: "collecting ambassadors".
Each devil's time occurs same, and I shall suffer this "same" before I will start doing that is pleasant to me. And each time I all the same can receive no more than a half of what could. But always I see on a panel that could be if everything was arranged correctly. And it doesn't give me absolutely any pleasure.
And you the truth, quite seriously, in senses want to tell, what IT doesn't kill game?
"don't force players to repeat the same tiresome task" - rule, old, as games.
Perhaps I would like to see the big campaign from several eras, the beginning of which gives me the giants of the previous one, which I will not have to develop from scratch in the 35 th time.
Several eras in which the Giants will develop from time to time, on and on, until they reach a logical ending.
For the first point, you can begin a freeplay and play only on it by saving your game.

I agree that it might be great to have the possibility of "fast terraforming" through a menu to begin when we want to (where unlocks are not unlockable).

Post Reply