[Balance, New Ideas]Oceanic/Tropical water biomes & Birds

Aquarius

[Balance, New Ideas]Oceanic/Tropical water biomes & Birds

Post by Aquarius » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am

First of all I would like to extend my congrats to the staff that made this good and very promising game. I would love to see this game in a 3D engine with the cartonnish textures on a hex type grid that would allow for more complexity while still keeping it user friendly and fun to play (but that would be just my choise).

Simple suggestions will be added to the list below while more complex changes and/or ideas will have different posts in this thread that I will link to in the box above.

Suggestions:
  • (new)add a city border growth number display near the prosperity number on the city UI (note: if the city has achived maxim border growth the city border browth number will be changed to "MAX")
    *reason? = I think most player would want to know how much more prosperity would a city need to grow and/or if the city has reached it's growth cap
  • (new)add a control casting option for all massiv AOE type abilities like create Forest or Earthquake; if the spell is selected to be casted holding down CTRL will scale down it's AOE ( create Forest type abilities will be scaled down to 3 tiles while Earthquake type abilities will be scaled down to 1; create Oceans will only be scaled to 6 tiles due to it's behaviour)
    *reason? = a simple work around for the problem mentioned below without the need of coding or adding another spell; it will also prove very usefull in case a player desires muliple types of biomes in a single region
  • add a <destroy natural sources> type ability to all (or at least one) giants that can be casted on a single target (single plot) that will remove natural sources placed by giants;
    *reason? = currently there is no feature that allows a player to rectify either a mistake or remove a natural resource in case a town gets to greedy besides the AOE type <destroy all> ability or migrate ability; adding this type of ability will allow a player to better manage this type of issues
  • add a <global casting> perk to Fertilize ability from lvl 2
    *reason? = currently there is no reason to get a higher lvl in Fertilize ability because it can't posibly be compared to the Monsoon ability; adding such a perk to Fertilize ability will help it be more unique and helpfull to a player
Last edited by Aquarius on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 23 times in total.

coanda

Re: [Balance, New Ideas]Hello

Post by coanda » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Aquarius wrote:currently there is no feature that allows a player to rectify either a mistake or remove a natural resource in case a town gets to greedy besides the AOE type <destroy all> ability or migrate ability; adding this type of ability will allow a player to better manage this type of issues

-add a <global casting> perk to Fertilize ability from lvl 2
*reason? = currently there is no reason to get a higher lvl in Fertilize ability because it can't posibly be compared to the Monsoon ability; adding such a perk to Fertilize ability will help it be more unique and helpfull to a player

For now, that would be it but I would love to add more after I hear a favourable answer to the question above.
You can just cast a new improvement over the old one to replace it. Only time it's a problem is if you need to put a village or project on a tile that you filled with an improvement first by accident (so you literally need an empty tile); in those rare cases, muck bomb is your go-to solution. I see no particular need to clutter up the giants' ability bars with an ability that has almost no use at all.

As far as Fertility Boost... that's a perfectly good ability as-is. Being able to boost fertility of a patch with the Forest Giant is useful; I've gotten it many times. Especially if you're leaning heavily on animals or not really focusing on plants. I also think the Fertility Boost from FG is supposed to be stronger than Monsoon, although I'm not sure about that part.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Aquarius wrote:First of all I would like to extend my congrats to the staff that made this good and very promising game. I would love to see this game in a 3D engine with the cartonnish textures on a hex type grid that would allow for more complexity while still keeping it user friendly and fun to play (but that would be just my choise).

So, the reason I am posting is to ask the staff how much development time will they be spending from this moment forward on this game, because as I said, it has great potential but there are still lot's of things you can do right now to make the game more enjoyable, some of which I will suggest below and some of which I would like to take some time to think about and balance out before I post them as suggestions but I would do so only if I knew that the developers still desire to keep updating the game. Personaly I think they should consider releasing more content under the form of bundles that they could sell for a couple of $ just so that they can support themselves as well while they are developing the game.

Suggestions:

- add a <destroy natural sources> type ability to all (or at least one) giants that can be casted on a single target (single plot) that will remove natural sources placed by giants;
*reason? = currently there is no feature that allows a player to rectify either a mistake or remove a natural resource in case a town gets to greedy besides the AOE type <destroy all> ability or migrate ability; adding this type of ability will allow a player to better manage this type of issues

-add a <global casting> perk to Fertilize ability from lvl 2

For now, that would be it but I would love to add more after I hear a favourable answer to the question above.
Heya! Welcome and thanks for the sweet words. :)

I admit removing an asset is a bit dodgy. :P We didn't see it as a major issue though, and decided to put our time in something else. originally, muck bomb was single patch damage, but that made hitting armies to hard. :( Maybe we'll pick something up: it's just that making the UI for them is such a pain.

You're also right about Fertility Boost, or actually, about Monsoon. Monsoon was supposed to ship with double the cooldown! :P Now Fertility Boost is a little bit underwhelming, and it should have gained another boost at level 3, like duration, cd reduction or longer range. Maybe I'll add one of those: especially cd reduction seems very attractive.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:33 pm

@Adriaan
You could always add something like a destroy button that would be present on the UI of every patch with natural resourses on but then again it would be more natural to be on the giant.

Also think about this.

-add a second ability <Speed Boost> to Forest Giant that will share the level and the cooldown of the Fertilize (casting either one will trigger the cooldown for both) that will give the targeted Giant a temorary speed boost; <Speed Boost> will be available at lvl 2 Fertilize - at lvl 3 (as you said) Fertilize and Speed Boost will get reduced cd
*reason? = gives the player a choise between either speed boosting a Giant to get to a certain region faster or Fertilize the ground; makes the Forest Giant much more versitile during mid and late game (also taking into consideration the fact that you might soon implement bigger maps I think that it will be a welcomed ability addition for those type of maps)

Btw, are you in the position to answer my previous question? :P If you could, I wouldn't say anything if you can't.
Last edited by Aquarius on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40 pm

The aurora ability already give a speed boost and can stack at higher level. It will only has the same effect for monsoon and fertility boost, the player will use the better one.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Touriste wrote:The aurora ability already give a speed boost and can stack at higher level. It will only has the same effect for monsoon and fertility boost, the player will use the better one.
Ah, didn't know that. I will look into it then.

edit.
Yes, looks great, works great. The only thing I would add to that is some kind of visual representation of the speed buff on the giant so that you would know when the buff disapears.

Aquarius

Oceanic/Tropical water biomes

Post by Aquarius » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:40 pm

>>A simple yet complex idea that could be implemented without the need of creating additional Giants.
(note: the idea is still just in it's most basic form; I will add more to this post soon)

The basic ocean created by the Ocean Giant will be sterile.

Oceanic biome:
-is created when the Forest Giant casts create Forest ability on the basic ocean created by the Ocean Giant; visually the sea floor will be lowered and be filled with some random ocean type plants (color scheme will be changed accordingly)
-will contain most of the species of fish that currently can be created
-the oceanic biome will need a minimum of 5 connected ocean tiles to be created; in case one of those tiles is raised and/or replaced by another type of tile the oceanic biome will disappear (same behaviour that a mountain has if it has less then 3 tiles)

Tropical biome:
-is created when the Swamp Giant casts create Swamp ability on the basic ocean created by the Ocean Giant; visually the sea floor will be raised and be filled with some random tropical type plants (color scheme will be changed accordingly)
-will contain new species of fish that will give a player the much needed awe in the early game and the much needed gold without the addition of danger in the late game
-the oceanic biome will need a minimum of 3 connected ocean tiles to be created (same behaviour that a mountain has if it has less then 3 tiles)

more soon to come....

Aquarius

Birds

Post by Aquarius » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Birds will be a good way to get a small awe boost in the early game for towns that focus on animals while still having the option of getting a good amount of danger in the late game. (one of the tier 3 birds from the forest biome will most likely be a eagle)
*reason? = currently there isn't a good way to secure some awe in the early game with forest and swamp type
towns that focus on animals and the most obvious choise would be to get it from birds that would dazzle any humans with their wonderfull singing

Bushshrike:
-wikipedia link bushshrike
-transmutes from chicken with exotic aspect
-yields 1 Image, 2 Image
-symbiosis +1 Image if there is no Bushshrike in range; +1 Image for every active symbiosis in range (+4 max) and +1 Image for every 2 active symbiosis in range (+2 max)
*balance? I think it will be decently balanced early on because the symbiosis parameters won't allow a player to stack Bushshrike without losing a good amount of benefits

more to come...