Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Fishing Village?

Edrich

Fishing Village?

Post by Edrich » Sat May 18, 2013 4:24 pm

So how do you make one exactly? :\

Zoomba

Re: Fishing Village?

Post by Zoomba » Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Animal in Ocean for the Fishing Docks.

Mansen

Post by Mansen » Sat May 18, 2013 7:20 pm

It's pretty easy - the way I've done it previously is to start out with ocean, then put a forest on one side and have the ocean giant plop down domestic animals in the coast right next to land - that will spark a Forest village very close to the water straight away.

It might only border the ocean at first, but you'll quickly expand into more ocean squares - if you're desperate for the achievements for 5? ocean tiles, you can put ocean on the other side of the town (or even into the forest on the other side - I did that once for a forest city that kept wanting aquatic projects (docks, lighthouse et cetera)

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Sat May 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Mansen wrote:If you're desperate for the achievements for 5? ocean tiles, you can put ocean on the other side of the town (or even into the forest on the other side
I tried this once and wouldn't recommend it except at the very end of the era. Otherwise, it makes getting enough prosperity rather difficult.
Sure, they give food and wealth, but, honestly, not very much. Due to the food and tech requirements of many projects, you usually choose the Fruit or Toxic aspect first. At least that's what I do. That makes upgrading fish not really an early-game strategy.

I might not have played enough yet to say this with some certainty, but I feel that fish are, as a whole, rather underpowered. It just takes too long to make them in any way useful.

Mansen

Post by Mansen » Sat May 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Either way you'll still need to do it at least once for the unlock. :)

Edrich

Post by Edrich » Sun May 19, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. :)

RoaRawR

Post by RoaRawR » Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Nixitur wrote:
Mansen wrote:If you're desperate for the achievements for 5? ocean tiles, you can put ocean on the other side of the town (or even into the forest on the other side
I tried this once and wouldn't recommend it except at the very end of the era. Otherwise, it makes getting enough prosperity rather difficult.
Sure, they give food and wealth, but, honestly, not very much. Due to the food and tech requirements of many projects, you usually choose the Fruit or Toxic aspect first. At least that's what I do. That makes upgrading fish not really an early-game strategy.

I might not have played enough yet to say this with some certainty, but I feel that fish are, as a whole, rather underpowered. It just takes too long to make them in any way useful.
would dissagree, they strong in numbers but they take quite abit of space....

how to make a fishing village and barly need to overwatch it

1. make a island that just have space for the village (no project space on land either is important so we not waste time on a grannery

2. spawn makrell everywhere in the ocean! (water giant basic domestic animal)

3. get upgrade on exotic or predator

4. mix in with exotic animals (swamp giant) early on if you don't have

5. mix predator(seabass), makrel, goldfish(what ever the name of it was)

congratulation! fishing village unlocked!

it is quite easy to make a fishing village but did struggle a little with island tower because a fishing village take 1/4 of the planet space because of the oceaon size but bright side you can place a forest/swamp on either side

than make a desert village to get
island town (you need later unlocks in t3 to even go for the island town)

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Sun May 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah, I actually fiddled around with coast villages a bit and Parrotfish give ridiculous wealth while Mackerel-stacking gives ridiculous food.
In fact, the amount of wealth two parrotfish+mackerel+clownfish+seabass create seems to make a fishing village most viable for deserts. Which is kinda odd, but totally fair game.

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm

If you've ever tried to do an all fishing map giving every land a maximum of 4 places (just enough for a village) you force all villages to build docks. the 2nd tier dock level has a global increase on food for mackerel +1/+2/+3 depending on the greatness of the mackerel. I once had this with 7 harbors giving around 90 food on each water spot (which was the majority of the map) so yes, fishing can be VERY effective.

p.s. I used this to get the 150 prosperity on 6 villages achievement (within 30 min)

puke

Post by puke » Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 am

M4st3rM1nd wrote:If you've ever tried to do an all fishing map giving every land a maximum of 4 places (just enough for a village) you force all villages to build docks. the 2nd tier dock level has a global increase on food for mackerel +1/+2/+3 depending on the greatness of the mackerel. I once had this with 7 harbors giving around 90 food on each water spot (which was the majority of the map) so yes, fishing can be VERY effective.

p.s. I used this to get the 150 prosperity on 6 villages achievement (within 30 min)

I'm doing this now, and there are some downers.

First, you cant have a desert town on a pure fishing map. I tried to make a mountain & desert, site a town there, and then dig oceans. It automatically converted the desert town to a forest town. This is a real bummer as the desert ambassadors give some of the better animal buffs.

Second, you cant pack that many towns in without having their borders bump. As they expand, they use quite a bit of area. I made double-wide oceans and only squeezed 5 towns in. If I try this again to get the "World Divided" achievement, I'll have to make them smaller.

Lastly, and most frustrating, is you cant get enough tech to finish the lighthouse challenge -- and scraping up enough wealth for it is pretty difficult at level 2. Maybe you can do this with more fish unlocked at level 3 or something, but it isnt possible to get a pure fish world to supply the 50 tech for a lighthouse at level 2.

No, the lack of desert ambassadors is probably more frustrating. I think I'm only doing this trick once.