Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Spikes in greed

blackimperator

Spikes in greed

Post by blackimperator » Sat May 18, 2013 9:35 pm

i've been experiencing several spikes in villagers' greed during the second hour of an era, usually when a project is failed or the village wins a war. is this intended and is there a way to prevent it ( or to predict it at least) ?

(oh and when i say spike, i mean greed goes to max and they attack the nearest giant, which can be an issue when the two neighbouring villages of your forest giant go greed-berserk at the same time)

ducken

Re: Spikes in greed

Post by ducken » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am

I've noticed this as well. I believe it's from new projects being started. Since a project gives bonuses as soon as it starts, late game projects can boost a village's resources by several hundred depending on the specializations it gets.

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Sun May 19, 2013 10:15 am

ducken wrote:I've noticed this as well. I believe it's from new projects being started. Since a project gives bonuses as soon as it starts, late game projects can boost a village's resources by several hundred depending on the specializations it gets.
those i understand, but i'm talking about greed going up at project or war ending, not beginning

i'm gonna detail a bit :

first, the war thing : i have one village, at 3 or 4 greed, natural sources used at their maximum available. (no project ongoing). they start a war with their neighbour, and when they win it, their greed reaches max and they start attacking the nearest giant

second, the project thing: one of my villages got a new project, when checking the specialization, i see that i can't get to make use of the bonus ( and thus no increase in natural sources), because i don't have the correct aspect, so i leave the project and go work on another village. when the timer ends, their greed reaches max and they start attacking the nearest giant.

the thing is that it doesn't happen every time, seems to be happening only in late game and i can't seem to predict which unfinished project is gonna land me with a bunch of angry villagers and which will do nothing

TheGodfather

Post by TheGodfather » Sun May 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Having the same issues. Was this planned this way? Not really, right? It makes it really hard to hold the greed under control...

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 am

I don't know if this is the issue. I recommend saving often and reloading to see what happens, maybe u can find out.

About the war:
If two villages have borders touching each-other and village A kills Village B, then he can expand its border that was previously blocked by Village B. If this makes him exceed in his growth and your not looking at that point of the map for a min or 2 they might go berserk. I'm not saying this happened, but it could've!

About the lost upgrade:
So this one is a bit more speculation than the previous one. But what if this happend:
Your village had an upgrade that was failing. Therefore lost it's bonus from the upgrade.
It's resources become something like food: 100/200 - wealth: 50/20 - tech: 200/100 notice 2 resources exceed there maximum
This means the village is slowing decreasing it's size.
If you held mood under control with danger and the village shrinks into the danger 3 zone. They kill 1 wealth animal and they get into the first zone because of it.
Now if you still have an unsafe growth on food your greed might build up quickly.

Kieroshark

Post by Kieroshark » Tue May 21, 2013 1:39 am

Failing a project adds a large amount of greed to the associated village.
If a village attacks another village and that village gets destroyed (either by the army or by you), that also causes a large amount of greed.

Avoid both of these and you should be good.

Late game, if you know you are going to fail a project, make sure the village is at zero greed before you fail. Failing an endgame project will give you 4 greed faces, which does not seem to trigger a war unless the village has multiple war tokens from previous wars.

It definitely causes a large difficulty spike endgame, but I think this is a very good thing imo. It is managable.

Also one last thing, if you are using danger to manage greed, it will NOT prevent the greed growth from a failed project. And currently danger will prevent greed from going down, so if you are going to fail a project, make sure to reduce danger back to the first teir.

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 am

Kieroshark wrote:Failing a project adds a large amount of greed to the associated village.
If a village attacks another village and that village gets destroyed (either by the army or by you), that also causes a large amount of greed.
yeah that's what i had gathered but i didn't see it mentioned anywhere so i was wondering about it ( especially since it doesn't have direct nasty effects (of the chasing-mob category) every time