Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

How do I curb my villages' greed?

NeonElf

Re: How do I curb my villages' greed?

Post by NeonElf » Tue May 21, 2013 12:52 am

M4st3rM1nd wrote: It is not that hard to get to the 2nd tier of danger for one village.
once you get the predator or hunt aspect unlocked you can use these on animals to increase their danger.
Remember that 1 danger means 1 more on each square in range of the animal. So if the animal affects 5 squares then 1 danger increases the total danger for all 5 squares by 1!
So a tier 2 village, which you have to have to get at least 1 amabastor and unlock the hunting requires 6 danger to get to tier 2 danger. So your 1 danger by 5 squares is still insufficient to actually create enough danger for a greed slow down.

Again I understand the concept, tell me do you actually use danger in your game or do you just know about it? Give me a specific example of how you use it, include biome and animal you use to generate danger in your game.

-Neon Elf

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 1:53 am

I use Danger with all animals.

Three screenshots
http://puu.sh/2XJq4.jpg
http://puu.sh/2XJGl.jpg
http://puu.sh/2XJJQ.jpg

The first one show my village with 20 danger (0 - 19 tier 1, 20 - 30 tier 2 and 31+ tier 3)
Also as you can see my technology is increasing dangerously fast! I already had 1 greed from earlier. But it wont increase now because my danger is high.

The second screenshot is from the right side of the village
There I have a boar camp. The boar camp alone has 1 danger. But I added 2 potent hunt aspects which each adds 1 danger giving it a total of 3. The boar affects 5 patches so 5 patches x 3 Danger= 15 Danger.

On the third screenshot you see my clown-fish with 1 potent hunt aspect.
The clown-fish also affects 5 patches so 5 patches x 1 Danger= 5 Danger

15 Danger + 5 Danger = 20 Danger

Now if my village grows too much the first danger zone will become 0 - 20. That means I need to raise my danger to stop greed. So then I add 1 more potent hunt aspect to the clown-fish and I get +5 Danger giving me a total of 25 Danger.

Coolbloke

Post by Coolbloke » Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Now that is darn helpful, cheers M4st3rM1nd!

DaveMongoose

Post by DaveMongoose » Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

I think danger is harder to use in your first few games because some of the better danger animals are unlocks: javelinas and wolves can both stack up danger very quickly with their symbioses.

It is a *very* useful mechanic though - particularly when you start placing and upgrading level 2 resources.

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I tried to avoid danger @ first but I really like it a lot now. Be sure to save to a test file if you are not sure wether your javlina upgrade is too much or not... i do that too

ollj

Post by ollj » Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 pm

pokie wrote:Grab a desert ambassador with Forest or Swamp giant to make animals more dangerous in high natura. Then you can spam a few long range toothy mackerel at the borders to threaten a village into clemency.
I still remember my first time i had no clue what i was doing, and then i had an ocean full of mackerel and the only animal upgrade was increasing their danger, wich i did, a lot, and the fish attacked the city, hopping over 2 tiles of land to reach the city, and they panicked while their city was attacked by walking fish, so i had to kill them. I will miss those humans.