Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Choosing upgrades

Vulpecula

Choosing upgrades

Post by Vulpecula » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 am

I'm curious as to what Aspects other players upgrade and why. So far, there are only two principles I operate under:

* Learn Monsoon with the Ocean Giant's second ambassador.
* Eventually unlock level 2 & 3 plants/animals/minerals; don't follow an upgrade path that prevents this.

Beyond that, getting either Predator or Hunt aspect for greed mitigation seems important, but I could probably play a full game without either if I was willing to push myself.

smithay

Re: Choosing upgrades

Post by smithay » Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 pm

In this regard the devs did a great job balancing aspects. Pretty much any combination you choose is viable, although some are definitely better than others. The best actual strategy i think is to keep it open, pick as few aspects as possible early on and then when the great projects start popping up i have a look at what i 'rolled' on them and choose accordingly.

The only thing you have to do every time is match your upgraded aspects with your upgraded sources. If you have Sublime fruit aspect it is not going to do you much good if you cannot make either level 3 herbs or level 3 fruit plants for example.

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Certain combinations don't work too well, though. I played one game where I had Predator, Exotic, Hunt aspects and Monsoon. I had a hard time coordinating symbioses. A pretty convenient combination for beginners, in my opinion, is with Fruit, Herd, Noble and Toxic aspects. You can upgrade most if not all tier 1 sources this way.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Wed May 22, 2013 2:48 pm

I like to get two desert on my mountain giant, two forest on my forest giant. This gives me an easy access to Wealth and Food for nearly any biome. The mountain giant can make gold easily (one of my favorite easy patches, as long as you don't make too many) and the forest giant can make very food powerful pear trees next to each other.

If I want white willows to tech the swamp, I'll get a desert for my ocean giant and depending on my need of tech or wealth, I'll add forest or desert to my swamp giant.

My minimum ambassadors means I'll get

2-4 desert
2-3 forest

Yeah... who needs swamps anyways?