Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Helpful Tips and Tricks

CookieEater

Helpful Tips and Tricks

Post by CookieEater » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I've yet to come across any of these types of threads yet. Any community members have any of their personal tips or tricks they'd like to share?

A few I can think of:

- Animals are not a single plot in effect and migrate across several different plots. I don't remember if the tutorial goes into this but that means that animals can be placed outside a village's borders and still affect a few tiles of the village itself!

- If you plan on focusing on a few prosperous villages instead of several smaller ones that compete for land and resources, try creating what I've called "Australia Zones";stretches of land or water with wildlife so dangerous that you'd have to be sadomasochistic to march an army through. This doesnt' prevent war but softens up armies enough that it should significantly weaken any marching troops (or angry mobs)

- Often overlooked is the Awe stat, helpful in curbing a village's greed. It's often difficult to get in any biome but forests. Using your Forest Giant, you can plant fruits with lesser leaf aspects to create strawberries which give a village small awe.With fruit aspect, you can create pear trees that give even more!

- [Taken from another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=515 ] If you want to achieve a quick fishing village unlock. Try surrounding a village with ocean (being careful not to destroy the village)

- One of the easiest and most useful early game symbioses to achieve is for Mackerel. Planting several mackerel together will cause their range to increase by 1 giving a large food boost to a larger swathe of land

- If you're not happy with the current project a village is working on, muck bomb it! This will force them to ...re-interpret your will.

- When a village sends an angry mob in protest of your giants. You do not need to damage the village to punish them into humility. If you defeat both angry mobs they send at you (or they succumb to the elements) they will stop.

- You cannot stop an Ocean, Forest or Swamp Giant from creating their biome once they've started. But you can form a desert by itself by stopping the create mountain midway. This makes a desert without the accompanying mountain patches.

- The Ocean Giant's Aurora Ability can speed up other giant's movement speeds and has an odd stacking effect. This can be used to get your Stone giant into a hostile village beatdown in and out quickly

M4st3rM1nd

Re: Helpful Tips and Tricks

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Two tricks I use:
For 120 min games I save about 20 minutes before the end. I focus on one achievement then complete it. Reload the save file and focus on a different achievement.
This can't be done for all achievements!

The second trick is best used in combination with the first trick but instead saving 2 min before the end. There are achievements which want u to get X property using only A/P/M or (A/P/M and A/P/M). What u can do is try to get a village somewhat above X prosperity and right before the end you can replace all Minerals with Plants to complete "Plants + Animals" or everything with Plants to complete "Plants only"

Vulpecula

Post by Vulpecula » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm

CookieEater wrote:- Often overlooked is the Awe stat, helpful in curbing a village's greed. It's often difficult to get in any biome but forests. Using your Forest Giant, you can plant fruits with lesser leaf aspects to create strawberries which give a village small awe.With fruit aspect, you can create pear trees that give even more!
Mountain terrain has many Awe options that are easy to access. Kumquat patches and Monals are available at the start of the game, then Dragonfruit shortly after. Later on, there's the Tea Plant which can bring in a ton of it.

nihila

Post by nihila » Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd like to suggest some level 1 combinations I think are the best to get 1 particular resource:

Forest:
For food, the best plant to me is the Pear Tree. It gives about 15 food not counting the aspect bonus when it's next to another plant which means that plating 2 Pear Trees gives 15 foodx2, and 3 pear trees gives 15 + 25 + 15 (without aspect bonuses).
For gold, topaz seems to be the easiest one to get (22 gold if next to a plant, without the aspect bonus of course). Onyx actually gives potentially more gold but the conditions are more difficult to get.
For tech, stone is the best combination with plants. It gives only 18 points (while copper gives 20, and Iron potentially more but it depends on danger so let's forget it) but it just has to be next to a plant.

As you can see, I don't really like animals since you need space to make them profitable and I even with that I'm not sure they can be optimal.
Besides, the great thing with Pear Trees is that you get 5 awe per Pear tree next to your pear tree... I love it since your villages can grow faster without the greed problem.

Swamp :

Even if I didn't try it yet, the best combination in my opinion is : Pineapple + phosphorous + topaz.
Phosphorous seems great especially for the awe bonus when it's next to a plant. The idea would be to alternate Phosphorous/Pineapple/topaz

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 pm

As a response on nihila's animal-phobia :P

If you can keep the danger levels of a village in the middle area (between the indicated numbers when clicking on a village) you can expand your village as fast as you can! Try to use
predator and hunt aspect to increase the danger when it almost hits the low border but be careful not to increase it too much!
A nice way to get a destroyed village running again is too leave all the minerals and plants intact and use danger to keep the village from getting greedy while it grows like a truck! :D

Also Buildings can have special bonuses!

Use the buttons in your UI at the top-left too see if your village is growing too fast or to see the time left on all village-projects

Also don't be afraid to save often and use the pause button to calmly asses the situation

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 am

The world is 100 'tiles' around.
A village takes 4 tiles.
A full-sized ocean is 9 tiles.
A full-sized forest/swamp is 13 tiles.
A full-sized mountain is 5 tiles, and can produce up to 14 tiles of desert on each side.

Also: a town created on one type of terrain, switched over to another, gives ambassadors of its new type (so no desert islands...).

EDIT: I've figured out a trick to create an 8-square wide desert island, by interrupting a mountain-building, then 'trimming' the edges with ocean. The island consists of 4 squares of desert bordered by two squares of mountain on each side. Can anyone get narrower than that?

VDZ

Post by VDZ » Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 am

Ignore greed, especially early in the game. You can just kill their armies whenever they're causing trouble, and in doing so you're automatically beating them to 0 greed again. Greed only becomes a problem later in the game, and only if you have valuable tiny villages that can't protect themselves; when they attack giants, a combination of running away and attacking the army always helps.

When the village attacks giants, it always targets the giant that's closest to the village when they start attacking. Put the water or forest giant closer to the village than the swamp or rock giant if you want to be sure they won't attack the giant you're using to kill them.

I wonder if the 'desert without a mountain' thing is a bug or whether it was intended.

CookieEater

Post by CookieEater » Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm

VDZ wrote:Ignore greed, especially early in the game. You can just kill their armies whenever they're causing trouble, and in doing so you're automatically beating them to 0 greed again. Greed only becomes a problem later in the game, and only if you have valuable tiny villages that can't protect themselves; when they attack giants, a combination of running away and attacking the army always helps.

When the village attacks giants, it always targets the giant that's closest to the village when they start attacking. Put the water or forest giant closer to the village than the swamp or rock giant if you want to be sure they won't attack the giant you're using to kill them.

I wonder if the 'desert without a mountain' thing is a bug or whether it was intended.
That's a good one i forgot to mention. But if I might add, never to use your ocean giant as its the only giant that cannot regenerate health!

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Wed May 22, 2013 1:43 pm

CookieEater wrote: That's a good one i forgot to mention. But if I might add, never to use your ocean giant as its the only giant that cannot regenerate health!

it can by using Monsoon

CookieEater

Post by CookieEater » Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 pm

blackimperator wrote:
CookieEater wrote: That's a good one i forgot to mention. But if I might add, never to use your ocean giant as its the only giant that cannot regenerate health!

it can by using Monsoon
Really?! I can't believe I missed that!