Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Helpful Tips and Tricks

ollj

Re: Helpful Tips and Tricks

Post by ollj » Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm

the world is 96 tiles

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Sun May 26, 2013 12:45 am

ollj wrote:the world is 96 tiles
Pretty sure it's 100, but I'll count again when I get off of work.

EDIT: Yep, 100 tiles. I've uploaded a well-marked map so you can measure it for yourself.
Attachments
Map Measurement.rsf
(30.83 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

ollj

Post by ollj » Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 am

CookieEater wrote:
justforfun wrote:Here are some tips and tricks
1)Island must have equal bios - forest , swamp , desert
Mind going into details about why you need to do this? I've yet to find an instance where this has helped me. Then again, I've only ever finished like.....1 upgraded great project per game.
some achievments are better done with one biome being more dominant on the planet.

Generally a ballanced biome diversity has more advantages over a less ballanced biome diversity. But it only matters as an over-time-average and not at any given point in time.

Becausethe biomes have their strengths and weaknesses and they need to cooperate on a global scale over time.

biome diversity doesnt matter as much as having cities giving you a roughly equal ammounf of ambassadows from desert/swamp/forest over an entire game. This can change during the game as you can change the biomes and thus change the city types over time.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Sun May 26, 2013 2:10 pm

The Ocean Giant creates 9-tile wide oceans, but they can be 'shrunk' to 6 tiles by nibbling at the edges with the Rock Giant's Create Mountain ability.
A full-sized 9-tile ocean creates 13 tiles of 'wet' ground on each side, suitable for a swamp or forest. Each size reduction reduces the number of tiles wetted by one, so a 6-tile ocean creates 10 tiles on each side. Since the world is 100 tiles large, it only takes 4 6-tile oceans to wet the entire world. 3 9-tile oceans will also do the trick, but 'waste' slightly more tiles on water (27 vs 24). 3 8-tile oceans come up four tiles short, and use the same amount of water as 4 6-tiles.

Bobthedog

Post by Bobthedog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 am

You can easily ensure the nomads settle exactly where you want by using mountains or oceans:

Mountains: Create a mountain (5 tiles); create a plant/mineral on the 2nd mountain tile (next to the top). The nomads will settle exactly next to the mountain base. You can then use the OG to level the mountain back into a different biome.

Oceans: Create an ocean (8 or 9 tiles); create fish 4 spaces from the coast, so that the end of the animal range is 2 spaces from the coast. The nomads will settle on the coast. You can then use the MG to remove the ocean.

I like to do this to create 5 cities with 16 squares between each.

saikun

Post by saikun » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I like in particular the combination of mountains + dangerous animals. Usually place a small mountain chain (usually 3) and fill it with some dangerous animals and some resources according to their symbiosis. There are some mountain animals that benefit from danger and others that produce a high amount.

I use this as a barrier to "isolate" a village, and also to prevent them from expanding too fast in that direction.

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 am

VDZ wrote:When the village attacks giants, it always targets the giant that's closest to the village when they start attacking. Put the water or forest giant closer to the village than the swamp or rock giant if you want to be sure they won't attack the giant you're using to kill them.
Only until that giant moves x squares away from the villagers, putting another giant closer. I don't know the solution for x, here, but I do know from a session last night that the villagers will switch repeatedly to the nearest giant once you move the current object of their wrath considerably beyond a closer one.

This actually can be useful: move the forest and mountain giants away, and position the swamp giant closest, with the ocean giant just beyond him. Use the swamp giant to launch muck bombs, and use the ocean giant to heal him.

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 am

CookieEater wrote:- If you're not happy with the current project a village is working on, muck bomb it! This will force them to ...re-interpret your will.
This is actually very useful, because sometimes they'll turn up a project with ridiculously high requirements, or one that doesn't suit your current configuration (ie, 4 plants in a city that has 3, and is mostly reliant on sea tiles).