Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Helpful Tips and Tricks

saikun

Re: Helpful Tips and Tricks

Post by saikun » Wed May 22, 2013 3:30 pm

At the first stages of a game session I usually place animals right outside the settlements to take advantage of their range interactions and saving tiles for plants and mines.

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 am

VDZ wrote:Ignore greed, especially early in the game. You can just kill their armies whenever they're causing trouble, and in doing so you're automatically beating them to 0 greed again. Greed only becomes a problem later in the game, and only if you have valuable tiny villages that can't protect themselves; when they attack giants, a combination of running away and attacking the army always helps.

When the village attacks giants, it always targets the giant that's closest to the village when they start attacking. Put the water or forest giant closer to the village than the swamp or rock giant if you want to be sure they won't attack the giant you're using to kill them.

I wonder if the 'desert without a mountain' thing is a bug or whether it was intended.
I may have moved them, so I can't say for sure, but I recall at least two times villagers attacking giants that weren't the closest, closest being hovering directly above the village. In both cases, I've witnessed villagers apart from the angry mob begging another giant for stuff. I don't think it's random, but perhaps surrounding sources have something to do with it? In the late game, I tend to cluster my giants together, so I think this happens often.

ducken

Post by ducken » Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 am

To maximize ambassador count, allow six villages to be established before finishing any village's first project. This allows you to get your first 6 ambassadors from basic projects, and can put you on the way to having 4 ambassadors for some or all giants towards the end (of a 2 hour era).

To accomplish this, you need to rapidly increase total prosperity to get nomads without meeting the project requirement for any single village. Fill all tiles with resources that a village doesn't need for project completion (avoid specializations as well) to increase each village's prosperity. Spread your giants accordingly so you can fill all tiles before the ongoing projects runs out of time.

Once you have six villages, begin replacing resources (starting with the village that has the least time remaining on its project) with proper ones to meet specializations and complete projects.

EatingBurger

Post by EatingBurger » Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 am

Animals still give food, even if their range falls within a village itself! For example, placing chickens directly beside a village will lead to a direct +5 increase in food, despite two of those +1 food tiles being "invisible".

Mehbah

Post by Mehbah » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am

Fish give resources even if they overlap with land. Placing a fish so that two of its five tiles are land tiles still give you the full resources for all five tiles.

CookieEater

Post by CookieEater » Thu May 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I haven't had time to confirm this yet, but this thread posted by Dunam looks promising

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=656

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm

-You dont need to pick up ambassadors as soon as they spawn. Without careful planning you'll often have situations after completing a project where only one or two giants have open slots, and the amb. doesn't work with the build. Leave it, complete other projects on the right village types, and pick it up later.
-While villages and projects can't be moved, terrain can be changed. You can add or remove ocean or mountains, swap between forest and swamp, etc. If the terrain under a village changes, it will swap to the new type, and further ambassadors that spawn will be of the new type. This includes ongoing projects. So you can get close to completing a project on say, a forest village, swap it to a swamp village and complete the project, and get a swamp ambassador. In practice, this doesn't always work out well as you end up having to replace most of the resources that get destroyed.

justforfun

Post by justforfun » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Here are some tips and tricks
1)Island must have equal bios - forest , swamp , desert

2)The first tie project is the easiest and slackest ,before making the stuff for the requirements of the project
see what it really needs

For example Granary requires 30 food , effect : Gatherers +15 food for each Plant within borders. Stacks up to 3 times. I will plant 2 plants and continue other projects (u dun even need to waste the fertility boast for the first project) Remember to see the caps of the village for that project (numbers below the village settlement.....)

3)To get village settlement faster , see the requirements at the top left corner blue bar , then keep giving resource to the existed village. (Suggestion 6 village is the best!!)

4)Choose what is the best resource for each category - food , tech and wealth , is it plant or animal for food etc

5)O no , greedy village is about to start war / attack giants how? kill those villages when they are further away from settlement . Followed by , check the greedy meter if too high , u have no choice but to make them suffer
just destroy the village till left 5-10 hp (giants fury! horray )

6) each developments aka achievements unlock give u 1 more stuff to upgrade or use

7)sometimes there are achievements that just require u 30 min to complete so plan it well and use time wisely

i wish for which achievements unlocks specified stuff

CookieEater

Post by CookieEater » Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 pm

justforfun wrote:Here are some tips and tricks
Mind going into details about why you need to do this? I've yet to find an instance where this has helped me. Then again, I've only ever finished like.....1 upgraded great project per game.

justforfun

Post by justforfun » Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 am

CookieEater wrote:
justforfun wrote:Here are some tips and tricks
Mind going into details about why you need to do this? I've yet to find an instance where this has helped me. Then again, I've only ever finished like.....1 upgraded great project per game.
Hmm thats for starters as it is hard for them to get enough materials for the 2nd tier project
In theory , i tried almost all ocean (half forest,half swamp) and 1 desert , yet there isnt a Ambassador for desert , as such at my project of building lighthouses , they all went greedy and they either war with others / kill the giants
which make me have a hard to accomplished it