Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Desert Lime next to a village

Wisp

Re: Desert Lime next to a village

Post by Wisp » Thu May 23, 2013 5:12 am

Assuming that you're changing starting projects to be next to the village, why not just make it so they will favor empty patches closer to the village? That way you can still have it a space away from your village if it is part of your strategy. It could also be interesting if you could force starter projects to be 2 spaces away, in order take advantage of certain project bonuses (perhaps that would gurrantee a specialization with reach if they aren't next to the village?). I don't think it would mess with normal play at all, as long as it is explained to new players in the tutourial.

digus

Post by digus » Thu May 23, 2013 6:11 am

Adriaan wrote:Ow I don't know what to do anymore ._.

Should I keep the dead patches and add bonuses to them, or should I remove them? HALP!
No matter what you do, there will always be people complaining.
You made a really great game, probably because you are a good game designer, so trust your felling.
Feedback is a good thing, but listening to every single one and try to pleasure all of them is a recipe for disaster.

The project/village thing can be annoying, but it's also challenging. I don't think simply getting hide of them will be the best solution. The game will lose some variety.You already said that the village get the least valuable path, so people can plan ahead and influence where the project will be picked.

Personally I think that synergy with projects is a better solution for the game. But may be some work on how the village choose the place for the project might be good, but probably more complicated to implement. Tough simply making every single project go next to the village would be plain boring.

baxter

Post by baxter » Sat May 25, 2013 1:52 am

digus wrote: .... simply making every single project go next to the village would be plain boring.
I agree with this guy. While it can be very frustrating to plan one side of the village a certain way, only to have the stupid humans tear apart planned synergy with a project, some projects and sources obviously can benefit from that one tile space. I think it would be better to make the project start on a random tile 1-3 spaces (for 2 space gap) from the village, or perhaps devise some way to influence the humans to pick a particular spot (no source or something) in that range.

also this
Wyvern wrote:... in the long term, one thing that might be kind of interesting is randomly placing tiles at world generation which give unique bonuses but couldn't be built on. That would add variety by making each world a little more distinct (and creating an opening for those handful of resources that benefit from empty tiles) but it wouldn't be as frustrating as randomly-placed village improvements because you could plan around them ahead of time. Although I guess that might kind of go against the theme of being in total control of nature...unless you styled them as ruins of the previous era and let the giants destroy them if they want.

Ecoludologist

Post by Ecoludologist » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 am

I agree with digus and baxter, too. I'm pretty new to the game, but I really like the dead patches. They're one more annoying thing that those pesky little humans sometimes do, which forces me to rethink my strategies on the fly - should I destroy the inconveniently placed building, or try to work with it?