Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Question for DEVS: Speed or Leisure?

Caiobrz

Question for DEVS: Speed or Leisure?

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I have been getting a lot of conflicting responses on the forum regarding how I play the game, and scared to keep proposing ideas and suggestions that go away from the game objectives, I have to ask:

The goal of the game, as seen by the devs, is to go as fast as you can (thus the problem with greed/danger), or to play in leisure and enjoy the simulation? The "top score" and all the limitations point me to speed, so I am probably playing this wrong, at which point you can ignore all my suggestions =x

Thankyou.

Zironic

Re: Question for DEVS: Speed or Leisure?

Post by Zironic » Wed May 22, 2013 4:31 pm

I am confused by your post. While the game is a race for how much you can achieve in limited game time, the pause function means you got all the time in the world to plan your moves, esp since you can give orders while paused.

I see this as a puzzle game.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm

First of all: play the game however you like! Even if you play it as an educational game, I don't mind. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Now from what it should appeal to. The game mainly meant to appeal to the following:
1) Exploration of possibilities and strategies
2) Mind challenges and puzzles (with fast clicks, or a lot of pause to win time)
3) Just controlling awesome giants and nature in a beautiful world.

Any combinations of those is fun with Reus. I would say that your style of play is 3, mixed by a little of 1. That should be fine, and I hope you had some fun with Reus!

However, I am the first to admit that 1 and especially 2 are the most elaborated. Not because I wanted it to be the most elaborated, but because it was the thing I could improve the best without crying for more features or more art. (mainly feautures) :P

For example: I think the game needs bigger abilities to get more of a God feeling. Create ocean will only get you so far. I also think that the game would do better with progression in freeplay to unlock new stuff. You raised a valid point in a post about that you want an antagonist. Well in Reus the antagonist is your own need to get higher. That's a 'challenge' mechanic, and doesn't always work for you!

So I'm with you, and for the more substantional update I'm looking to both have more simulative options, as well as making the game challenging longer for others. Making new abilities is a lot of work though, so for that I'll need to have more resources for that.

Also: I play the game pretty relaxed with something like 10 clicks per minute, and I get to 7300 prosperity too. I just think ahead a lot or press pause to take some time to figure things out. The mind challenge is still there, but the FPS twitches are pretty much gone. You won't get into the highscore list like that but hey, do we really care? ;)

balard

Post by balard » Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm

I like the game as it is, but I think it needs another axis of antagonism besides greed. Like the greed axis make then want to go after the other villages, and the awe axis make then go after the giants.

Rhadamant

Post by Rhadamant » Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm

balard wrote:I like the game as it is, but I think it needs another axis of antagonism besides greed. Like the greed axis make then want to go after the other villages, and the awe axis make then go after the giants.
Do you mean that greedy villages attack other villages and villages lacking awe will attack the giants?

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Yes, I'm definitely in the 1 and 3 items, but also 2 minus the fast clicks (puzzle/strategy/tactics).

I don't mind getting into fast click highscores. I always thought it was not my thing like, I really like games like Starcraft, but never quite understood tournaments where you have to pretty much see in slow-motion to understand what is going on, because those guys are INSANE! lol.

I just hope that the game doesn't loose it's puzzle and awe for the fast and furious - just like I did beat most challenges without worrying about the time, would be a shame if you where REQUIRED to be fast to beat them. Sure, a couple of "hardcore" achievements might be just about that, but then it's for those who like it.

I have been playing only for a couple of days, so I also slow because I don't quite know all the tweaks. People who have been playing longer certainly can "see" what they need to do ages before. The project requires X,Y,Z, you "see" you need this and that patch upgraded with this and that to achieve it ... I still make lots of mistakes and read tooltips to know what to do, thus I am slower than the average gamer, but the fact that I was still able to play and enjoy the game is much a reward and highlight of the game. As I memorize the best combinations for symbiosis, I might even try to get higher scores, but I will never care to break my mouse.

I'm the kind of guy who have two mouses: one for normal use/games, another for whatever game requires fast clicking, so I don't overuse the expensive one in games that can do fine with a cheaper one, know what I mean? =p

Good to know the game keeps open the door for both, and I hope you consider some of my suggestions. I know that sometimes the easier thing can be hard/impossible to implement, and the most innovative and weird idea can be a walk in the park to implement (ya ... I am a computer analyst), so I tend suggest whatever I think it might be or not hard to do.

Cheers

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for sticking around and your support! I'm sure there are a lot Reus players who are more like you but don't go to the forums. I'm certainly going to try to make the freeplay more enjoyable.

All I have to take in account is time and money. Ow time and money. Why?

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 11:19 pm

ya, no pause in real life to make things in time LOL

miruki

Post by miruki » Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 am

*raises hand*

I'm one of those players as well, I guess. But so far I didn't find the era mode too challenging or stressful, I've yet to unlock everything tho, got about 60% so far, so we'll see how I feel about the challenge and stress factor later.. ;>

It's always neat to have more options for your preferred play style tho. I personally would love it, if it was possible to unlock all animals / plants / minerals in the free play mode as well, as I like to play Reus in a more relaxing way focused on exploration, perfect design & strategy.

Something like making the unlocks non-permanent and only active for that free play game would be a solution that would please me plenty, for example. Unlocks of sources could still be done by the same challenges and instead of unlocking the source permanently for each new game you start afterwards, could simply unlock it immediately for you to use in your current game but aren't unlocked for any other game until you complete the challenge in era mode and permanently unlock it. This way you could also give players the choice of a "starting from scratch" free play game with temp. unlocks as well as the current "you get what you unlocked" free play mode. Even with my limited knowledge of programming this sounds like a pretty doable thing to me and would give you the option to please both sides. :D

This would also be great for trying out new strategies to use in era mode. :)

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Thu May 23, 2013 2:51 am

miruki wrote:...It's always neat to have more options for your preferred play style tho. I personally would love it, if it was possible to unlock all animals / plants / minerals in the free play mode as well, as I like to play Reus in a more relaxing way focused on exploration, perfect design & strategy....
That!

Also, a tooltip on how to unlock some sources would be nice. I'm still lost on how to get "pear trees" T_T