Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

do coal bonuses stack?

puke

Re: do coal bonuses stack?

Post by puke » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm

something else I was wondering, is if a town hits the border of another town, will its growth in the other direction speed up? halt also?

The suggestion that expansion is not related to prosperity makes mid-late game city distruction a bigger problem than I thought. I always assumed it expanded at the same rate as prosperity growth, and as such didnt worry too much about replacing towns.

Sounds like I have been shooting myself in the foot.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 pm

puke wrote:something else I was wondering, is if a town hits the border of another town, will its growth in the other direction speed up? halt also?
I'm not sure about the effect on the 'other side', but I think I've observed a sudden growth in borders of a town when it's neighbor is destroyed, implying that the town 'knows' its optimal borders, but is blocked by a neighbor, and when that neighbor is removed, it immediately expands to fill the gap.
puke wrote:The suggestion that expansion is not related to prosperity makes mid-late game city destruction a bigger problem than I thought. I always assumed it expanded at the same rate as prosperity growth, and as such didn't worry too much about replacing towns.

Sounds like I have been shooting myself in the foot.
Yah, that's one of the major concerns I had that led me to investigate this. It makes destroying a city a Much Bigger Deal. It also weakens some 'cheaty' strategies like the 'destroy six early cities for quick ambassadors'. If you're using a full 6+ cities, you'll almost certainly be constrained by neighbors rather than time, but if you want to maximize a smaller number of cities, then you'll want to ensure they have the most possible time to grow.

baxter

Post by baxter » Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 am

In my experience, mountains slow growth but only on the mountain. I have had several desert cities near mountains that choose to grow out onto empty desert tiles, even when I have placed tasty natural resources in the mountains to their opposite side. One city once seemed to grow entirely to the desert side, only keeping the 2 mountain tiles it had started with until almost an hour into the game. Having had towns with only mountains on both sides in games with forest, swamp, and island towns, I didnt seem to notice them growing slower than the other types, so imho it seems to be that they choose the 'easier' terrain if available, but suck it up and deal when they're mountain bound.

I expect (but have not tried) that if you allowed a city to expand across terrain and then build a mountain with easy terrain on the other side, they would expand at the easy speed beyond the mountain.

puke

Post by puke » Sat May 25, 2013 9:58 am

seems like it will be a coal day in heck if I ever discover the answer to this one.

Coal crash: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=687&p=3797#p3797