Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

do coal bonuses stack?

Vulpecula

Re: do coal bonuses stack?

Post by Vulpecula » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Mihir wrote:Coal story bro
Hahahahahahahahaha

puke

Post by puke » Fri May 24, 2013 12:38 am

you guys are an in-coal-igible lot.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 am

Touriste wrote:You can try yes, and then you will be able to say if it saves the unlock you had or not :P
I do not know !
If you load a game after you unlocked something, you suddenly have access to it.

...what? No.
I will not participate in these silly pun games. Coal me a boring guy, if you must.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 am

If only they had not fixed the coaldown cheat we could achieve every unlocks in one game !

puke

Post by puke » Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 am

I was hoping this thread would get some other folks to start experimenting, but I just cant seem to Lignite any interest.

I dont think I'm going to get to this tonight, but I'll fool around some more on Friday night. As long as I get a good synergy to pack 1000 tech and 1000 research with only minerals in a pure mountain town, I'll clean out the remaining achievements.

Unfortunately, I'm psychologically incapable of just taking ANY method of doing this, and have to screw about until I optimize it to the best of my ability. Right now Fluorite is looking to be the most likely candidate. So it might be Saturday before I actually get to the Coal business.

Unless, of course, someone Peats me to it.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Fri May 24, 2013 3:03 am

My reading of Coal is that you'll need to have towns dedicated to activating the coal symbiosis. This is not a huge burden (attaining 100 tech/wealth = 5 coal stacks), but it does mean you'll need to develop more than just your copper capital.

The reason for this is that the bonus to copper is generate by the coal, so the coal needs to get activated. The penalty to gold is generated by the stack being penalized, so the stacks that 'cause' the penalty don't have to be activated.

I could be wrong. I'm working on unlocking coal myself, and if I beat you to it I'll let you know.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 3:22 am

puke wrote:I was hoping this thread would get some other folks to start experimenting, but I just cant seem to Lignite any interest.

I dont think I'm going to get to this tonight, but I'll fool around some more on Friday night. As long as I get a good synergy to pack 1000 tech and 1000 research with only minerals in a pure mountain town, I'll clean out the remaining achievements.

Unfortunately, I'm psychologically incapable of just taking ANY method of doing this, and have to screw about until I optimize it to the best of my ability. Right now Fluorite is looking to be the most likely candidate. So it might be Saturday before I actually get to the Coal business.

Unless, of course, someone Peats me to it.
We're just getting carried away with coal jokes.

But yes, it needs to be activated to have the effect.

However, don't think your post fell on deaf ears. I did consider it a coalple of times. The main problems are the activation and the limited world size. But I think with some careful planning you could get about 20 coal mines activated, 5 per village. Going by 6 villages, the 6th one can reap the tremendous benefits. Still, I get the feeling there are better combo's out there.

Thanks for the inspiration though ;)

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 am

Dunam wrote:Yes, it needs to be activated to have the effect.

However, don't think your post fell on deaf ears. I did consider it a coalple of times. The main problems are the activation and the limited world size. But I think with some careful planning you could get about 20 coal mines activated, 5 per village. Going by 6 villages, the 6th one can reap the tremendous benefits. Still, I get the feeling there are better combo's out there.
Let me do some math...

Lesse... 100 squares on the map. Minus 24 for the six villages, leaving 76 for coal/copper.
Ignoring the 'bordering' symbiosis for Coal, the formula should look something like total P = (# of Coal)*40+(# of Copper)*(20+20*(# of Coal)). (# of Coal)=76 - (# of Copper), so the formula works out to:
(P/20) = 152 + 75 * (# of Copper) - (# of Copper)^2
Some quick Quadratic Formula later, we find that the 'optimal' number of copper is 37-38. Or about half the world.
This would give around 31,160 prosperity.

EDIT: Ah, whups, just noticed that I used the numbers for normal Copper, when in practice you'd certainly be using Superior. That'd shift it a bit towards Copper. Let me recalculate...

EDIT 2: Corrected formula is:
(P/20) = 152 + 76.5 * (# of Copper) - (# of Copper)^2
Optimal amount of copper is 38 (so, exactly half the world).
This gives 32300 prosperity. Pretty close to what I found before.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 am

Another option along the same lines of this coal idea would be to use Bighorns to boost deer/goats. A bighorn only adds 15 prosperity to a dear/goat patch, where coal adds 20 to a copper patch, though, and deer/goats are less valuable to start than mountain-boosted copper. Unlike coal, they don't have to be activated.

I think they lose, any way you look at it, unfortunately. But interesting idea, anyhow.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 5:02 am

Sooo... the humans don't start projects in your perfect world?

You lose another six squares to that.

Although it would be strongest of course to space the coal mines between copper mines, which again would increase your overall prosperity.