Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

As if mackarel wasn't good enough.

Dunam

As if mackarel wasn't good enough.

Post by Dunam » Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 am

I like mackarel and it's insane range.

Sometimes I use them to feed a desert town all the way over a mountain. Other times I use them to feed the masses insanely and upgrade them with predator aspects to make them give wealth and danger too.

But I just discovered a new trick with them.

This is your goal:

Code: Select all

(village or harbor) / mackarel / anglerfish* / mackarel / anglerfish / mackarel* / mackarel / mackarel
But the trick is to create the anglerfish* last (before you start making that anglerfish, make sure the rest is in place and that the anglerfish* is a mackarel instead). If you do that, the far left mackarel will keep it's range+3 (so 5).

Careful though! The mackarel with a * can't be touched. If you want to replace it with a great mackarel for example, the far left mackarel will lose its range 5 and drop to range 3.

Also, of course,

Code: Select all

(village or harbor) / mackarel / anglerfish* / mackarel / anglerfish / mackarel* / mackarel / mackarel / mackarel / mackarel
is even stronger. And remember to upgrade your mackarel with upgraded aspects. Potent animal aspects tend to give +1 wealth/food, which means 11 squares of +1 wealth/food per aspect.

CookieEater

Re: As if mackarel wasn't good enough.

Post by CookieEater » Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Stealing this for the Helpful Hints and Tricks thread!

Johann12345

Post by Johann12345 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm

is this a bug exploit ?

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I think it's more like a symbiosis exploit :D

Johann12345

Post by Johann12345 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Yeah I guess it's fair after all... I have independently verified this by thinking about it.

ollj

Post by ollj » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 pm

this just shows that the "Ms range increases by the ammount of Ms within its range" is a recursive boost and therefore bad game design because its the only such recursive boost within its game.