Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Top Score Strategies

Dunam

Top Score Strategies

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm

The top score thread had a bit of strategy talk, but to keep things managable and easy, any talk about strategy you can do in this thread.

Adriaan

Re: Top Score Strategies

Post by Adriaan » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I'll just post one of my favourite strategy here: Grey Fox and Platinum. Sure, it isn't everything, but it's a really fun Desert strategy, that can easily get a lot of awe and wealth.

kobun

Post by kobun » Fri May 24, 2013 5:13 pm

i'm curious to understand how that mackerel strategy work,wouldn't you have trouble doing project since you can't get tech out of fish? doing that also means having no mountain which in turn means no desert ambassador's... did that player go the whole game with no desert at all?

EDIT: ooooohhhh i see anglerfish gives tech,if you put an ocean on the right side of the town it will automaticaly force the fishing dock project right? one of the aspect i think makes the game work is that you have to adapt your style to the project the human build so yeah it's kind of cheap that you can force your hand this manner... maybe you could have more ocean project? like you could have a trading port that get bonus for having natural resource neighbouring village don't have for example?

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 8:09 pm

You don't force it by having an ocean on the right side, you do it by creating an ocean on both sides so there are no other spaces to start a project.

I have been aiming at a good grey fox strategy, but it's hard to pull off so far. I tried a aloe vera/ grey fox combination (so no extra range for the grey fox, since your rock giant will suck at making mines if you go exotic)

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

So for my recent score of 60 min game, I planned to go

Code: Select all

grey fox/aloe vera/grey fox/aloe vera /etc.
If I get a chance, I would upgrade some grey foxes to bobcats.

What did I end up with? A very succesful swamp city (giving about 2100 prosperity), two moderately succesful forest villages and somewhat unsuccesful 3 mountain and 1 swamp village.

I had to level a village

I had to keep them from killing each other

they nearly killed my swamp giant in his sleep

Just look at the bonuses those projects are giving. I made a bit of mistake here, I should have changed that mine back to a plant after the upgraded great project was finished, because I was getting +1 tech per natura. A coffee with sublime leafs would have given a lot of extra points. I also hadn't touched this city in a while and it still hadn't fully grown.

So 6474, thanks to embracing the surprises rather than sticking hardcore to my set-out strategy.

kobun

Post by kobun » Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Dunam wrote:You don't force it by having an ocean on the right side, you do it by creating an ocean on both sides so there are no other spaces to start a project.
the standard spot for building a project is 2 space right from the village so if that space is an ocean,it should always result in an ocean project no?

anyway i really think they should make the fishing dock a land project,surely then there is a chance of a village not being able to use it but so can happen with the geologist project and lack of mountains... maybe it could have a "3 space of sea under the border" like the geologist too

oh and obviously it would be a swamp,forest project only

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Fri May 24, 2013 9:36 pm

kobun wrote: the standard spot for building a project is 2 space right from the village so if that space is an ocean,it should always result in an ocean project no?

anyway i really think they should make the fishing dock a land project,surely then there is a chance of a village not being able to use it but so can happen with the geologist project and lack of mountains... maybe it could have a "3 space of sea under the border" like the geologist too

oh and obviously it would be a swamp,forest project only
Try it ;)

It's definitely not the standard spot, it can build left right, against the villlage and one space from it.

Your suggestion is an interesting one, but be reminded that a fishing dock is a first project of a tribal level, which tends to be very easy to fulfill. The geologist is a third level project, which tend to have some heftier requirements.

ollj

Post by ollj » Sat May 25, 2013 1:13 am

these need to be videos.

there are 2 basic things most people dont utilize enough:

- the rock giants stomp to destroy cities
- the tree giants planting to move things (within the same biome type).

Dont be afraid to destroy a city. especially it its projects do not fit your general strategy or are not going anywhere fast with your available giant-skills in the long term strategy.

Cities are good but getting ambassadors faster it worth more than a city almost always, especially early when the citiees are young.

If theres a small city surrounded by 2 large cities and one of the larger cities has a project that needs the small city destroyed, just do it.

---

Before your giants build the first things, take a closer look at the white upgrade-arrows that appear randomly at the start. Start building from there, its free upgrade bonus fields !! You can use the tree-giants planting ability to use these multiple times.

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Sat May 25, 2013 1:23 am

ollj wrote:Dont be afraid to destroy a city. especially it its projects do not fit your general strategy or are not going anywhere fast with your available giant-skills in the long term strategy.

Cities are good but getting ambassadors faster it worth more than a city almost always, especially early when the citiees are young.
We're just learning now that city growth is entirely time-dependent, so destroying cities could be a permanent setback.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Sat May 25, 2013 1:38 am

I almost never destroy cities, but projects frequently. I just thought 7 villages was enough and I didn't need a 8th anymore.