Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Do you Think the leaderboard should be reset for patches?

Do you think the Leaderboard should be reset for Patches?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Yes, Reset the Leaderboard and archive old ones
79%
No, Use the existing leaderboard and continue playing
21%

Total votes: 14

JInFi

Do you Think the leaderboard should be reset for patches?

Post by JInFi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 pm

there's been requests to restart the leaderboard due to patches.

Pros of resetting:
- scores won't always be at the highest and unreachable
- scores will be in relevance to the most recent patch

Cons of Resetting:
- large amounts of documentation will need to be done for previous patches
- scoreboard may not be filled up by the time a new patch is applied
- will be constantly changing the leaderboard due to inconsistency.

either way, it's up to you guys!

coanda

Re: Do you Think the leaderboard should be reset for patches

Post by coanda » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 pm

I would say it depends on the patch. If it's a major patch that absolutely cripples the prominent strategies (like this latest one was), you need a reset. If it's a minor patch that doesn't change much, you can just mark the scores so people know they used an older patch.

But if that's too situational, I think second-best option is to just make it reset after each patch. Some of those scores may never be broken at this point, now that mackerel and coal are so much weaker.

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:57 pm

You know what would be good? A weekly or monthly leaderboard. There should be clear and specific rules about which version should be played and conditions should apply on how to play too. Like this month's theme could be no animals. Of course, there should be restrictions on saves too.

One of the developers suggested that we make a new leaderboard for every new patch and we could keep that as the permanent high scores.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 am

Hey guys
My top score for the 120 era might be a little too high now with the coal being reduced so drastically. Although I'd hate to see it go, I think that scoreboard needs to be reset or at least a new one created to reflect the game as it is now.

I don't really see a reason to reset the 60 or 30 min era scores though. I'm currently holding the top scores there and the strategies I used for those didn't use coal or mackerel at all. So my vote is just for a reset on the 120 era.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:37 am

Mahasuchi wrote:You know what would be good? A weekly or monthly leaderboard. There should be clear and specific rules about which version should be played and conditions should apply on how to play too. Like this month's theme could be no animals.
I think that's a great idea, as challenges would be a great way to keep people interested when all they've already finished the game. Sounds like a lot of extra work for somebody though, I wouldn't want to be the person to have to do that every week.

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 am

Rabbit wrote:
Mahasuchi wrote:You know what would be good? A weekly or monthly leaderboard. There should be clear and specific rules about which version should be played and conditions should apply on how to play too. Like this month's theme could be no animals.
I think that's a great idea, as challenges would be a great way to keep people interested when all they've already finished the game. Sounds like a lot of extra work for somebody though, I wouldn't want to be the person to have to do that every week.
cheating would be the biggest problem imo. you'll need to provide a full-world ss for this. otherwise, it could work, but i may actually reduce numbers down to 1-5 instead of 1-10 for sake of simplicity.

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 pm

JInFi wrote:
Rabbit wrote:
cheating would be the biggest problem imo. you'll need to provide a full-world ss for this. otherwise, it could work, but i may actually reduce numbers down to 1-5 instead of 1-10 for sake of simplicity.
Then we should either go bi-weekly or monthly. As for cheating, well the organizer of these challenges has to be very clear on what version of the game to use, whether mods are accepted or not, the conditions of each challenge(such as sources, abilities and ambassadors permitted) and I would ask for a save game, maybe 3 to 5 minutes before the end. I agree with the full world screen shot and depending on the challenge, maybe a shot of the giants' ability menu, villages or projects depending on the challenge.

Also, one person shouldn't be working on this alone. Maybe two or three could do it, plus any willing contributors. The results will be screwy at first, I think, but when we get to know each other's play styles better it will be easier to know who's playing by the rules and who isn't.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm planning to elaborately support this. :) I'll keep you guys up to date with the things I can do later this week, for now I'm carefully following this thread. ;)

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

I read that you were thinking about challenges, so maybe those one can be interesting :
Forest Leaderboard : You can only play with forests village
Desert Leaderboard : Id
Swamp Leaderboard : Id

But well ... you will have to trust people a little because you will need a lot of saves in order to check this.
But maybe there is a log of every events happening into a game ?

naughtyfins

Post by naughtyfins » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Could just make them show the ambassadors they have on their giants?