Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge leaderboards discussion thread

At what frequency do you want challenges?

Weekly
14%
Bi-Weekly
43%
Monthly
14%
Weekly and Monthly
No votes
Bi-Weekly and Monthly
29%
All of the above
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 7

Mahasuchi

Challenge leaderboards discussion thread

Post by Mahasuchi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 pm

This is the thread to discuss IF there will be a challenge leaderboard, how often it will take place if the reus community wants it and what will be the nature of these challenges. If the challenge leaderboard does happen, this thread will also serve as a suggestion box for changes and ideas for future challenges. That said what do you guys want in a challenge leaderboard? To recap, a challenge leaderboard is:

-A contest which happens at a fixed interval of time, which has specific rules and conditions of play that must be respected or disqualification may follow, but in the interest of entertainment of all will be made accessible to everyone.

I volunteer myself to start this project since I suggested the idea, but I will definitely need help too. I also would like to have the devs thoughts on this. In any case, I hope we can all have fun with this!

Adriaan

Re: Challenge leaderboards discussion thread

Post by Adriaan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I absolutely support this game of the week/month idea. I think there are a lot of different things to play with in Reus, and challenges would be pretty damn cool. I'm planning to do a little more community stuff as well, and am glad to help or spearhead this. I'll be discussing more of these topics tommorow to.

I'd liked to have a place where people could come every Tuesday to check on Reus news, challenges and community updates. A bit like civ fanatics, which is just a very interesting place to hang around. It's also just a general issue of Reus being on 5 spots: these forums, the reusgame website, the steam forums, the wiki and facebook. If I find a central place (next to the forums, of course) I would love to feature this!

I'll see how far I can get with making this easier and more interesting to execute!

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Well, I was thinking of doing it on the forums here, but I wasn't aware of all the other sites. I guess that would be excluding all sorts of possible participants. I would vote to centralize this on the reusgamewebsite. I don't have facebook and I don't use steam, so to me that would be the most fair for everyone. I mean, there are probably plenty of players who don't post on any of the reus-related sites. Then again, if they don't visit the forums, I highly doubt they visit the website too.

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 am

Achievements -> bi-weekly updates -> [Insert Task Here]

you can either do an online-service, or you can do it per patch, even if just mini patch.

or we can stick to the good ol' forums thread, but instead start a subforum within strategys for challenges/Community Events.

coanda

Post by coanda » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:07 am

I don't see any real need for a sub-forum. Weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/whatever challenge threads help draw veterans to the strategy/balance forum, which means newcomers also get a good source of advice and insight in that forum. It helps build a healthy forum. Tuck it away in a subforum, and many veterans might never even see threads by newer players asking for advice.

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Shall we try one on the Strategy & Balance section then? No reason we can't test the idea.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Tomorrow (Dutch time) I will be starting to clean up the whole community thing a bit, make some room for a a challenge thread etc. AND if you don't mind, put up the first challenge. :)

I will also PM any interested (I'm particularly looking at you, Mahasuchi and JinFi) if you'd be interested to get some moderator powers to keep things going smooth. :) So tommorow much more!

Mahasuchi

Post by Mahasuchi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 am

Adriaan wrote:Tomorrow (Dutch time) I will be starting to clean up the whole community thing a bit, make some room for a a challenge thread etc. AND if you don't mind, put up the first challenge. :)

I will also PM any interested (I'm particularly looking at you, Mahasuchi and JinFi) if you'd be interested to get some moderator powers to keep things going smooth. :) So tommorow much more!
First challenge up! Tell me if I've gone overboard, Adriaan. There are some good players here and I don't want to underestimate anyone. And yes, I'm interested, but let's see how the first challenge goes.