Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

60 Minute Forest/Swamp Challenges

Yxklyx

60 Minute Forest/Swamp Challenges

Post by Yxklyx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 am

Has anyone gotten Gold on the 60 Minute Forest/Swamp Challenges?

The Desert Challenge was fine and I even should have gotten to 5000 except for a mistake at the end. But for Forest/Swamp I can only get to 3000. The thing is, Desert is needed for Hunt/Predator as well as the key Fertilize skills. Limiting yourself to only 4 Desert makes it all Forest or all Swamp for the rest.

Rabbit

Re: 60 Minute Forest/Swamp Challenges

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:22 am

I've completed the challenges. If you just want to get the challenges complete, try setting up your giants like this:
Swamp challenge
Forest - F / S / F / F <--- This gives orange trees and sunflowers, easily the best combination
Swamp - S / S / S / S <--- mostly useless
Desert - D / S / S / S <--- onyx near plum trees or sunflowers to get your wealth
Ocean - S / S / S / S <--- level 3 animals with max herd ability gets you pandas
Make all the terrain you can into forest but leave most of the towns swamp for the ambassadors.
I got about 20k points in 60 minutes like this. Use pandas near sunflowers to get a ton of wealth.

Forest challenge
Forest - F / S / F / F <--- This gives orange trees and sunflowers, easily the best combination
Swamp - D / F / F / F <--- predator gets you seabass, otherwise useless
Desert - D / F / F / F <--- max exotic gets you pandas
Ocean - S / F / F / F <--- level 3 animals, max crystal gets you coal
Use the same strat as above except leaving the towns forest.

If you're still having trouble, I can show you a screenshot of my forest and swamp challenges final landscape

Kajikami

Post by Kajikami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 am

Ok, here is my strat that got gold in all 4 60 minute challenges at once.

Basically, you take advantage of mountain lodges and taverns to generate all your resources while actually building very little. My giants looked like:
Ocean - S S
Forest - F
Rock - D
Swamp - F D
You want to have 9 villages (10 is impossible) spaced out evenly, so 7 spaces between each pair. Force this by filling the gaps with mountain (7 mountain, 4 desert, 7 mountain, etc). I made the one 8 space gap ocean so i could have 1 forest and one swamp town, and raised it after i got my ambassadors. Since the villages can only build projects on mountain tiles, a lot of them will make mountain lodges. If anything makes a project other than mountain lodge, or a mountain lodge that doesn't have the synergy on number of villages, destroy it. Do the same to get them to upgrade to Taverns with the village count synergy. Completing the mountain lodges with all mountain tiles is trivial, and after that you don't really need to build resources (the taverns complete themselves). Once the towns on either side have built their mountain lodges, you can start lowering mountains (be careful not to lower the tile under a project) and filling the spaces with Javelinas to try and cut down on the wars (your swamp and rock giants will be on army killing/village pacifying duty non-stop).

It took me quite a while to do, but overall probably no longer than doing each challenge separately would have. You can also try and get your towns to start historic points in the last 20 minutes of the game for even more resources (you won't be able to complete them since you don't want to destroy towns, but if they start in the last 20 minutes they won't fail before the end).

If you want to try your hand at it, good luck.

Yxklyx

Post by Yxklyx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Interesting ideas. Rabbit, how do you deal with Greed and Wars without any Predator/Hunt in the Swamp challenge? Do you just grow really really slowly?

naughtyfins

Post by naughtyfins » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I actually found Desert was the hardest to get for me. I'm not a "pro" player by any means and comfortably got Gold on both Swamp and Forest challenges just with Orange/Sunflower spam.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:44 pm

I just ignore greed and grow as quickly as possible. The towns usually send out an angry mob before they decide to attack anyone because they are growing too quick, and then you can just stomp that town into humility. Try to keep all the towns growing at the same rate, so it's more likely that they can deal with the armies sent at them without your help, if it looks like the army will win you can always throw a swamp ball at them.

I didn't mention it my last post because it can get annoying, but like kajikami said, mountain lodges are the best way to get free prosperity. If you plan out your towns well enough, you can put a mountain on one side and still keep it swamp or forest. You might have to save and reload / destroy the project a couple of times though if you don't get the mountain lodge the way you like it which can be very tedious.

Yxklyx

Post by Yxklyx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Can you actually stomp on the town itself to get them to submit - or are you stomping on the rabble and destroying resources?

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 pm

You can stomp on the town itself, but you can also use "raise mountain" and "create ocean" as well to damage the city over time, it comes back much quicker and is easier to control how much damage you do.

Just be careful when you use those abilities though, if you create an ocean over a town, even though he will just attack the town, the game will act like you are making an ocean over all of those patches. This will cause projects to fail if they are still building, and even fail some already complete ones. Make sure you don't touch projects with those 2 abilities and you should be fine.

Yxklyx

Post by Yxklyx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Just to confirm, you can stomp a town with the Mountain Giant and the town will lose all greed, if you don't destroy the town.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I think you have to wait till they send a mob out. then if you do enough damage to the town through any means the town will be "punished into humility" and their mob will return back to their town. Their greed will be reset to 0. You can punch it, throw a swamp ball at it, raise a mountain on it or create an ocean on it to cause damage. Raise mountain is the best one to use, because you can speed that giant up with the ocean giant's aurora.