Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Balance Chat: Oil is probably overpowered

Vulpecula

Balance Chat: Oil is probably overpowered

Post by Vulpecula » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:15 am

Deep Well: +100 Wealth, gain 100% of the Food from neighboring Plants as Technology.

A new beginning: +5 Tech for each Plant on the planet. +5 Wealth for each Mineral on the planet. +5 Food for each Animal on the planet.

Now, I haven't actually made this yet, but I can read and I'm pretty sure it says that each Oil will produce approximately 900 zillion resources. That second bonus alone is going to draw from ~80 natural sources on a full planet, adding ~400 tech/wealth/food.

coanda

Re: Balance Chat: Oil is probably overpowered

Post by coanda » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 pm

It's not particularly stronger than a lot of other improvements. Just to name a few others that I happen to be aware of which are (or, with a good setup, can be) quite strong...
Coal. Sunflower + Orange. Uranium. Iron. Diamond. Silver. Bears. Opium. Pandas.

I certainly don't assert these are the only high-yield tiles, either; just the ones that I can think of right now. I'm sure there are some I've forgotten about, and others I've never even thought of.

Oil is not something like old Mackerel, which was nerfed because it was a tier-1 improvement that was mindlessly, easily, immediately strong. It's also not something like old Coal, which was nerfed because it was indisputably, head-and-shoulders, stronger than anything else. Oil is just one of many strong late-game options as the game stands now.

But prove me wrong. Play out a game, show me an unreasonably high prosperity from Oil which could not be achieved in any other manner, and I'm happy to change my mind.

Vulpecula

Post by Vulpecula » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Uranium is essentially single-use, and only gives 250 tech plus a neighboring natural sources bonus similar to Oil's. I haven't used all of the lvl3 sources enough to definitely say that Uranium is bad, but its numbers do not compare favorably to Oil at all.

But prove me wrong. Play out a game, show me an unreasonably high prosperity from Oil which could not be achieved in any other manner, and I'm happy to change my mind.
Not an unreasonable request, but that would take a while and I'm not amazing at Reus. Should be doable for me if I play past the time limit. Maybe I'll get around to it.

Yxklyx

Post by Yxklyx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 am

It looks pretty powerful - maybe a good test would be to submit Highest Prosperity games, see which comes out ahead. What's the highest Prosperity someone here has gotten?