Reus guide by GamerGuides

Manuel

Reus guide by GamerGuides

Post by Manuel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:35 am

Hey Reus-people,

Many of you have spent vast amounts of time with Reus (or have made the computer spent vast amount of times on playing Reus :P), so you'll know the game well. Quite frankly, some people know the game better than we do.

One of those people is James from GamerGuides.com and he took the trouble to create an 80-page(!) guide to communicate this with other players. The people from Gamer Guides are creating guides for a whole lot of games, and they thought Reus was definitely the type of game that needs some help explaining for some players. I haven't read it all yet, but there is definitely a lot of knowledge in there.

Since the guide is still WIP, James asked for some feedback from both the veterans and the new players around here. So if you feel like it, you can check out the Reus guide at gamerguides.com (The first guide after signing up should be free), and give your general opinion or answer some of the questions below:

1. Is it useful for the skill-level your on?
2. Do you enjoy reading it?
3. Are you missing pieces?
4. What do you think about the structure?

Of course we already have the wiki with loads of information (thanks all!), but the guide takes the approach of a walkthrough for all developments. So it's also interesting to know if the guide is useful to you next to the community wiki.

Touriste

Re: Reus guide by GamerGuides

Post by Touriste » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:46 am

Pages are not clear, I mean they are fading from the top to the bottom, do you have that too ?

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Hmm, no, not sure what you mean. Is the text or background color fading from top to bottom? Mine's just all dark grey on white.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Here's a view of what I see
pages.jpg
And it is on every pages of the guide :(

GamerGuidesAndrew

Post by GamerGuidesAndrew » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi All,

Andrew from GamerGuides.com here. Have you registered at the site and added the guide to your collection (for free)? That faded look appears when a guest tries to view pages not offered in the free sample.

James will likely be along this evening, but any and all feedback on the guide would be hugely appreciated. :)

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Ah yes, I did not register that is the answer to this issue :).

GamerGuidesAndrew

Post by GamerGuidesAndrew » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Touriste wrote:Ah yes, I did not register that is the answer to this issue :).
Ah fantastic. I've added a few pages as a sample for guests now as we'll. :)

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 pm

i understand that with it being a proper site and everything, the end product is probably very high-level and educational (towards the game), but i'm not sure if i could agree on the idea of 'purchasing' a game guide. it seems too far, especially considering this game doesn't have a multiplayer component.

GamerGuidesAndrew

Post by GamerGuidesAndrew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm

JInFi wrote:i understand that with it being a proper site and everything, the end product is probably very high-level and educational (towards the game), but i'm not sure if i could agree on the idea of 'purchasing' a game guide. it seems too far, especially considering this game doesn't have a multiplayer component.
Hi JInFi,

We can totally appreciate that not everybody wants to buy a strategy guide in this digital edge, and that's why wiki's etc still have their place. Certainly at the minute, new sign-ups won't pay for the Reus guide so there's no direct cost involved there (if that's what you mean by purchasing).

Strategy-genre games don't need to have MP components to make them worthy of a strategy guide (of any size or type), if people need help in understanding a game better in an effort to enjoy it more then why not?

And, more importantly for the developers (not just Abbey Games), they can earn extra income if people want to pay for a strategy guide for their game and they also get to ensure that the information provided is accurate, correct and not going to link them to viruses/spyware/phishing sites etc.

We love the Game Reus, it's a great game by a great team so we've willingly invested thousands into producing a professional strategy guide for it. We think offering players a choice between this or wiki's (or YouTube videos) is a great thing to have. :)

GamerGuidesJames

Post by GamerGuidesJames » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Good evening everyone!

James here, guide author and part time bread maker. How are you?

Just thought I'd let you know that the guide has now got tips and advise for every development in the game, and I made a fancy trailer to celebrate, which you can view here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SfKfXCvy64

I'm pretty chuffed with the guide. I aimed to provide as many facts as possible to underpin the strategies. Naturally Reus' random elements make it a tricky-sort to provide a perfect walkthrough for, but I feel that the tips provided in the guide will assist in beating the developments and teach about mechanics as it goes.

As Andy said, we're not trying to replace the wiki, we're just interested in providing an alternative. I think that our guide is more informative for players as they go through. A wiki requires the reader to know about the feature of the game they want to to read about whereas a guide can inform alongside development specific tips.

There are a few more elements I want to introduce, and any feedback offered here will be taken on board and investigated; the guide isn't set in stone!

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread from now on so any feedback on the guide would be massively appreciated and will be taken to heart!

Cheers, and I look forward to speaking to you soon!

-James