Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Reus guide by GamerGuides

Borodin

Re: Reus guide by GamerGuides

Post by Borodin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

Meaning no disrespect to the Game Guides folks, but I sincerely hope all the information put into this one ends up in a Wiki, or on GameFAQ. I'd consider paying a small fee to someone who put so much effort into making a really solid, lengthy guide, but I question (purely on a personal level) the value of paying a fee to someone who hosts it. Just my own view, mind.

GamerGuidesJames

Post by GamerGuidesJames » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:39 pm

I understand the concern but I am the author of the guide and of a fair few others on GamerGuides, and I work on the site and its guides on a daily basis. It's my job! This isn't a case of being hired freelance to do the guide and then getting the boot and seeing no return on it. We're very much a small, but very professional, group right now that believe it doesn't take much to offer a guide that's better than the GameFAQs experience (we've got screenshots, videos, no dodgy ASCII art etc.)

I guess the point is, I work for GamerGuides and directly feel the benefit of those that read it.

Borodin

Post by Borodin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm

It's a fair response. I'll keep that in mind--though I still prefer information made available freely by other players. Thanks for your courteous response. :)

GamerGuidesAndrew

Post by GamerGuidesAndrew » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Borodin wrote:It's a fair response. I'll keep that in mind--though I still prefer information made available freely by other players. Thanks for your courteous response. :)
Hi Borodin!

We totally respect the idea of free information exchange via Wiki's GameFAQ's etc and it's a great thing to have. For us though, as professionals, we've found something we love doing (helping players by writing guides). And as James' rightly pointed out, it's our lively hoods and it's how we pay our bills (which is why we do charge for the large majority of our guides).

Our ultimate goal is for our Reus guide to become an official guide that can sit comfortably alongside the existing wiki on the main menu; but as a professionally produced alternative to the wiki. Clearly you've acknowledged the value inherent in the guide James has painstakingly created (which took a few weeks of full-time hours to finish), which is a great thing to see.

Thanks for your input, we genuinely appreciate it and if you ever have any more thoughts (good or bad), then we'd really love to hear them. :)