Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Game programming, Is it too hard?

Qustinnus

Game programming, Is it too hard?

Post by Qustinnus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm only 14 now, But i've gamed for 12 years and am really interested in once going into the game programming bussiness myself, Although i have no experience i wonder if it's possible to learn how to code now so it's easier for me when i actually go to a school for it, I can't really find some good advice and barely have any experience, But i want to learn now so i can start-up for my future. Any tutorial i find on youtube is pretty much copy pasting lines of code, Which isn't really effective... Please tell me where i should start (Which will probably be learning something like HTML to get the basics, Huh? =,=) Thanks beforehand.

JustSmall

Re: Game programming, Is it too hard?

Post by JustSmall » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 pm

I can't give you an answer to your question because I barely have any programming experience but I don't think this post belongs into Reus<General, Offtopic<Offtopic is more appropriate for this.

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 pm

JustSmall wrote:I can't give you an answer to your question because I barely have any programming experience but I don't think this post belongs into Reus<General, Offtopic<Offtopic is more appropriate for this.
Oh right sorry! Damn i'm an egghead, I'm used to this other forum with offtopic>General instead. Sorry for that, hehe.

Maarten

Post by Maarten » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Now is the perfect time to start!

You could download Game Maker. It gradually learned me the basics of programming, first through drag and drop actions, then through code. Game Maker is used often in the industry for prototyping, but also for creating whole games.

You could also start by learning a specific programming language, through the many tutorials online. The first few tutorials you'll probably be looking at black console windows. This can be demotivating at first, especially when you're expecting games. Make it fun for yourself, be creative.
You'll probably want to learn Java, C# or C++. I'd recommend to former two, as C++ can be quite scary at first.

Tips
- Don't be afraid to start with learning 'the wrong' programming language. What you're actually learning is a way of thinking. Picking up a new programming language isn't too different.
- Paying for tutorials or software is nonsense. Everything you need is free and available on the internet.
- Nothing is 'too hard'. You can do it, you might just need to spend some more time on it.

Our programmers might also have some good tips.

SharpKris

Post by SharpKris » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 pm

i might just give that a try

Chuggoka

Post by Chuggoka » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 am

Hello Qustinnus,

I'm 13 years old and just started learning to programm a few weeks/ months ago. I started with a mod for minecraft called computercraft, where one can program computers (in lua) to do in-game stuff for you. Through some youtube tutorials I learned the basics of lua pretty fast. I love Lua, but I don't have any experience with other languages. I guess that even though the very basics are the same in pretty much any language, but some are easier to use, and faster to learn than others.It's not that hard; the hard thing is finding the typo in the code! It is really fun.

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 am

Eyo!

I actually started programming when I was like 8. My dad was a computer programmer at the time and thought me the basics of QBasic. Ever since that time I have always been busy programming robots, Lego (Robots Invention System wassup!) and really everything programmable. My passion has always been games though.

At the age of 13 or so I got Visual Studio 6 for my birthday from my dad, which is kinda sad if you think about it. :P He gave it to me because I wanted to make a 3D game in QBasic but QBasic failed me miserably in performance. :(
Anyway, it got me into C/C++ programming. C/C++ is extremely powerful but with great power comes great responsibility. I would not recommend it as a starting programming language as its terribly complicated to grasp. I would recommend what Maarten already said. Start with something like Game Maker and work your way up. Like he said, if you can program one language pretty well it won't be a very big step to another language. Cause I started out with C++ it has always been pretty easy for me to learn new languages. (I know about a million now, lol no..)

Tips
- Just keep at it! I've been programming for 16 years now and it got me the lead programmer job at Abbey Games! (best job ever)
- If you have programming questions, don't be afraid to ask them!

Cheerios and good luck!

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

so basically what follows next is a life story, if you wish to avoid a long, boring, and probably unnecessary life story, just read the few lines that are colored. it'll get the point across.

HTML is a great place to start, it carries over but not everything is relevant. probably better to go with game-maker or something.

don't forget, Adobe Flash (i think it's adobe, i'm still using macromedia =P) is viable too; it's relatively easy to pick up, hard to master. existing games such as Starcraft or Half life have great mod-ability, so if you're into that (mainly triggering, which is not as complicated but still relevant), try that too.

my strongest piece of advise would probably be similar to Maarten's, and that is don't be afraid to make mistakes. it's all part of the learning process. rather, get used to it, cause it will happen a lot, and it will frustrate you out.

i guess learning programming as a whole isn't about the programs you use (although this does affect the outcome alot,) it's mainly around the thought process and the planning that comes with it.

through my experience with modding and programming, i have found the best way to learn is to try it out yourself. it's not a bad idea to go 'monkey see, monkey do', but remember there are alot of things that you should try figure out for yourself so you fully apprehend what is actually going on, why it's bugging out, etc.

personally, i find the biggest thing to look out for would be fore-planning. it's a pain in the ass in having to do something, test it, find out it fails, fix it, test it, then change it half a month later because something happened (ie new add-on) and you have to change it again, which causes alot of override issues.

this isn't just in Programming either. it's in basically everything when it comes down to intellectual material, whether it be a continuation problem, an algorithm, coding, referencing, whatever.

=================================

my best example would be Graphics (as i can relate to this). i do it as a subject, and we use Autodesk Inventor 2013 as our primary program.

AutoDesk Inventor is a 3d modelling program used by all sorts of professions to model and produce working versions of things, and as a subject, most of what i cover is about blueprints, architecture and Graphical Designs (australian standards, whatnot).

when drawing parts in inventor, the steps usually taken are as follows:

- Sketch (2D or 3D)
- Extrusion (or revolve, or whatever you project requires)
- Create New Sketch on Object Plane.

note 'on Object plane'. this means that everything done in the future is more than likely going to rely on this operation.

40 minutes down the track, when i try to assemble the full product together, i find that one of the pieces is too big to fit and is clipping into another object. by going back into the original drawing, i edit the extrusion value, say from 130 down to 100. this changes to size by a bit. that's great, and as long as it's viable, it'll work.

problem is, when it doesn't work, it gives you an error. and the biggest problem is, you press 'accept', a massive chain of a billion errors come out. this is when you say to yourself 'well s***, i wasted 30 minutes and now ima have to do this again'.

==========================================

and yes, this did happen to me during my ITS course (HTML 5) too.

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Chuggoka wrote:Hello Qustinnus,

I'm 13 years old and just started learning to programm a few weeks/ months ago. I started with a mod for minecraft called computercraft, where one can program computers (in lua) to do in-game stuff for you. Through some youtube tutorials I learned the basics of lua pretty fast. I love Lua, but I don't have any experience with other languages. I guess that even though the very basics are the same in pretty much any language, but some are easier to use, and faster to learn than others.It's not that hard; the hard thing is finding the typo in the code! It is really fun.
I can do slight LUA from when i played Roblox but i found it a langauge that would probably not go too far, And i think you have script maker that automaticly detect (most) Typos for example when a specified directory doesn't exsist.

Also my sister is a graphical artist so she also gives me tips, My whole family is pretty much into computers (Expect granny, She has windows 98, xD)

Edit: I made a game but it wont work when i run it, There isn't any clear error... :l (I followed a tutorial, i double checked every step)

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 am

If the game is made in any not-obscure language me or one of the other programmers here can probably help you! If it's okay with the Abbeys you can paste your code (or the important part at least) here, or send me a message, I'm glad to help you out if I can!