Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Mac Game keeps crashing

nzahlut

Re: Mac Game keeps crashing

Post by nzahlut » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:21 pm

I never got it to run properly on OS X. Runs fine over the same hardware with Windows, but the OS X "port" sucks.

cam

Post by cam » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

There is no way I'm going to install windows on my macbook pro!

There is a way to fix this issue somewhere in this page but I just can't figure out how to get this done.
flibitijibibo wrote:...
- [OSX] PERFORMANCE: This was resolved by switching to SGen for garbage collection. Stuttering audio and related problems should no longer exist, though the game is still graphically intensive.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:44 am

hey cam, thanks for posting feedback on how it's working for you. We try to get a feel of how the current build is working for people.

The thing is, if you are using the Humble binaries, you are playing aslightly older build of Reus for Mac. We recently created a new one, which increases performance on Mac. This build is in beta on Steam. I will get to work to get that same build on Humble as well.

So there's three things you can do:
1. Wait for me to tell you that new binaries are on Humble. Then download those and try again.
2. Download Steam, use your Humble Steam key to install Reus. Switch to the beta branch (where you will find the only Steam Mac build for Reus).
3. Wait for the official release of the Reus Mac (and Linux) port.

Let me know if you run into problems with any of these solutions.

nzahlut

Post by nzahlut » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi, Manuel. You knew people were having problems with the Mac build since the January Humble Bundle inclusion and still haven't patched the file?

cam

Post by cam » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 am

Manuel wrote:hey cam, thanks for posting feedback on how it's working for you. We try to get a feel of how the current build is working for people.

The thing is, if you are using the Humble binaries, you are playing aslightly older build of Reus for Mac. We recently created a new one, which increases performance on Mac. This build is in beta on Steam. I will get to work to get that same build on Humble as well.

So there's three things you can do:
1. Wait for me to tell you that new binaries are on Humble. Then download those and try again.
2. Download Steam, use your Humble Steam key to install Reus. Switch to the beta branch (where you will find the only Steam Mac build for Reus).
3. Wait for the official release of the Reus Mac (and Linux) port.

Let me know if you run into problems with any of these solutions.
Hey,

First, thank you for the explanations :-) I'll start to look for my Humble steam key which should be on the download page. Then I'll try to switch to the beta branch when I understood what steam I used for...
I'll post here the results.

nzahlut wrote:Hi, Manuel. You knew people were having problems with the Mac build since the January Humble Bundle inclusion and still haven't patched the file?
I used to play under archlinux 64 bits and I know for sure that what we could call exotic platforms are definitely not much supported in the video game industry. We have to be patient or use windows :-) From what I read, only ONE DUDE (contractor) is working on the mac/linux port of this game.
Funny story, I even asked Logitech once to make decent drivers for their stuff for linux platform. They just told me: "never gonna happen..."
Last edited by cam on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cam

Post by cam » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Switching right now to the beta :-)

EDIT: Currently testing the beta...

EDIT2: Not much better at all, I can't notice a difference! Follow the thread on steam forums to get the details.
Last edited by cam on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cam

Post by cam » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:27 pm

I guess this is never gonna work... It's just terrible to say it does run mac OS X because it's not!
It is running on a less powerful laptop running windows 7 (the laptop from my company where games doesn't belong) but not on my macbook pro so i don't feel like it's a hardware issue.