Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Mac Game keeps crashing

nzahlut

Re: Mac Game keeps crashing

Post by nzahlut » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 am

Like Josh said, the game is still really unplayable due to the general "slowness" of it all. My machine is able to run much more visually complex titles without a hitch, but this runs at 12 fps. Everything points to a poorly performed port to the Mac. The updated version, to be clear, only prevents the crashing.

nzahlut

Post by nzahlut » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:30 am

UPDATE: I've downloaded the new version from Humble Bundle and it changes nothing in my case. It runs exactly like the previous one. The game doesn't crash, but it's still quite slow.

heavySnake

Post by heavySnake » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am

Hello,

My game is crashing on one of my macs.
Macbook mid 2010, 2.4ghz, 8gb ram, latest mavericks 10.9.1.
To be clear, the mac version works great on my desktop mac (mac pro 2008).

The game starts, I can select new game, first era and beginning.
An animation plays; then Reus minimizes and shows a bug-report screen in conjunction with a message that I should save a report.
As suggested, I saved what I could of the report (it did not fit on the screen).
What should I do with it now? Do I paste it here or should I send it to the developer directly?
And does someone have a suggestion on how to get the game to work?

Edit:
I found the workaround for instancing that I thought I would try. Unfortunately, this also results in the same crash + message.

nzahlut

Post by nzahlut » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:32 pm

The guy in charge of the Mac port things the performance issues are gone and doesn't seem to be looking any more into them. It would suck if I have to install Windows just to play a game.

joshlikesbagels

Post by joshlikesbagels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 pm

So I wanted to see what might be causing problems and how I could get the game running again. It seems like the more objects on the screen, the worse the stuttering gets. It only becomes bad once you get a forest down and even worse when a village settles. I also found that the more zoomed in you are, the less prevalent the stuttering is. This definitely supports the idea that onscreen objects are causing this drop in FPS.

However, when trying to figure this out, I encountered a strange error. Suddenly, the game minimized and I was presented with a pop up from Reus that said to save this message and what seemed to be an error report. Unfortunately it ran off the screen and this was all I was unable to copy and paste any of it. I can't seem to find any .log files in the package contents either.

If anyone working on this beta needs assistance in testing, let me know and I can see what I can do to help.

johneveryman

Post by johneveryman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

yea...pretty broken on my mid 2013 Air...has anyone tried emailing them?

info@abbeygames.com

nzahlut

Post by nzahlut » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 am

I don't think that emailing them would do much good, since the guy in charge of the Mac port doesn't work for them.

murhe

Post by murhe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:32 am

Is there known requirements for mac version? I have imac (mid 2010) running with 10.6.8 and game won't even start. Dock icon just keep jumping untill I force to stop the program.

philippemorin123

Post by philippemorin123 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 am

According to http://support.humblebundle.com/custome ... quirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 500 MB
OpenGL: 2.1 or greater with 512 MB memory
Note: Beta status for Mac

nzahlut

Post by nzahlut » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am

philippemorin123 wrote:According to http://support.humblebundle.com/custome ... quirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 500 MB
OpenGL: 2.1 or greater with 512 MB memory
Note: Beta status for Mac
Maybe the game has issues with MacBooks and Macs that use notebook-quality graphic cards, like the nVidia that comes with the Mac mini, although I've read reports of people experiencing notorious lag on Mac Pros, so... Who knows...