Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Extreme sound glitching

Nighter3D

Extreme sound glitching

Post by Nighter3D » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 am

When playing the game after a while it appears to crash my soundcard.

My sound card suddenly blurts out a lot of glitchy sounds and static before going silent. This only occurs in Reus. after a while it either restores or repeats the exact same glitchy sequence.

Sound card is a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extremegamer Fatal1ty Proffesional using latest drivers.
Game version is GOG 1.0

Most likely just Creative's lousy drivers, but who knows so i figured i would just report it anyway.

Bas
King of the Beta

Re: Extreme sound glitching

Post by Bas » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 am

This may be a stretch but could you maybe create a video that shows whats going on? That would really help me out.

Nighter3D

Post by Nighter3D » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am

Bas wrote:This may be a stretch but could you maybe create a video that shows whats going on? That would really help me out.
I attempted to create a video and capture the audio with the aid of FRAPS.
The behaviour is unusual. The first 2 minutes went normal, but at 2:02 while my speakers went nearly insane for 5 seconds the vid only gives a slight eep sound and goes mute till i stopped the recording a little later (slight warning loud system sound at end when terminating recording (which gives reason to believe its something with the game as windows sound were passed trough nicely)

Anyway ive recorded, encoded into a MP4 and uploaded it to my server real quick(25mb,gotta love H264).

http://nighter-3d.net/reus_sound_crash.mp4

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 am

Do you perhaps also have an onboard sound card? Somebody else had 2 sound cards and disabling one solved the problem altogether.

Nighter3D

Post by Nighter3D » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I do have a onboard sound card, but it has been disabled in the bios since the beginning.
For the sake of it ive also disabled the HDMI sound device that resides on the gpu(leaving the x-fi card as lone device).

Again it just came back.

Complete internal hardware:
-Asus Crosshair IV formula (AM3) Motherboard
-AMD Phenom X6 1075t (6*3ghz) CPU
-Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 2*4gb memory pair
-MSI GTX560Ti gpu
-Creative Soundblaster X-Fi extremegamer fatal1ty profess1onal
-Corsair 850Ax PSU

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

Darcion

Post by Darcion » Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am

i can confirm that i have 2 soundsystem one on my board and one as card and i have both activated. My sound is ths same problem. i can test it and deactivate my onboard sound

Bas
King of the Beta

Post by Bas » Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

How is the performance for you guys? Does the game run smoothly?
Darcion wrote:i can confirm that i have 2 soundsystem one on my board and one as card and i have both activated. My sound is ths same problem. i can test it and deactivate my onboard sound
Please do test it with the either one deactivated.

Kieroshark

Post by Kieroshark » Wed May 22, 2013 2:55 am

I've been having a similar issue to this, although not identical.

In my case, the glitchy sound does not result in a full sound failure, it is just glitchy and crackly intermittently (fairly often).

I am using an onboard sound card, but I do not have a second sound card installed. Additionally in my case, zooming out completely often triggers the issue (especially late game, when there are a lot of things going on). Zooming in the maximum amount often resolves the issue, although not usually for long.

Other than that, my performance is fantastic. No noticeable lag, graphical or otherwise.

Darcion

Post by Darcion » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm

the sound mess my game up, if this happens i have to restart. the sound is glichting and later on i hear a never ending echo and the fps drops.

i deactivated the onboard sound chip but nothing changed, maybe a pc restart is need i will tell later on if this helped.

x4s4lj4

Post by x4s4lj4 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 pm

For me the sound is glitching only at the beginning, with the abbey games video and the animated video of the giants.
When I arrive on the "home" menu, the sound becomes ok.