Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Interesting game, could be great with a patch or two.

Daulken

Interesting game, could be great with a patch or two.

Post by Daulken » Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Some of these are bugs, some of them are game play issues but I wanted to make one post as right now, I can't recommend the game to friends until some pretty critical things are fixed. I have about 30 hours in the game so far.

1) Stuck giant problem. Each game of Reus if you're hoping to accomplish anything significant is a considerable time investment. On more than one occasion now I have had giants get stuck where their abilities don't come off cool down and they can't move. Saving and reloading only works if the game wasn't paused the last time you saved. Fortunately, this thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=553 already talks about that and someone is working on it. With min/maxing, the average 120 minute era runs about 3 hours. Having this happen two and a half hours in makes the game completely unplayable for me.

2) Unfortunately I didn't save it at the time, but recently when playing I placed down a copper mine, on a mountain, which should have been 20 tech. It was close to the end of the game as well. Instead of being tech, it showed in the area under the planet's surface as 20 wealth (and added 20 wealth to the city's totals). The tooltip area of the mineral showed 20 tech, but wealth was definitely being added. Two spaces away, on the same mountain was a copper adding tech.

3) Many of the tooltips in the game are wrong, or so it seems. Several items have incorrect bonuses (mostly with project names, those almost all seem to be wrong) and many of the specializations say they offer something like +25, +20, +15, but with all three of that resource you get a total bonus of +45. It's fine if they've been nerfed, that's understandable, but the tooltips really need to be updated to be correct.

4) About the first two days of playing Reus, I loved it. The "leveling" system is challenging and rewarding, and I'm an achievement whore, so the method of unlocking advanced sources is great. However, that takes an incredibly sharp nose dive once you get to some of the higher level achievements. Some of the more difficult achievements are neigh impossible without certain other unlocks. That's not a problem, but in a game that doesn't APPEAR to be linear (and isn't, quite), it is incredibly frustrating to spend a great deal of time setting up as close to an idea scenario as possible to get a couple of unlocks only to find out that without something you haven't unlocked yet, it simply isn't going to be attainable. In my personal opinion, the method for unlocking sources needs some TLC. It's great at first, but the method for unlocking projects is just hands down superior.

5) In a game that's so heavily centered around achievements and reaching certain milestones, the time limit function is just incredibly annoying. Let's say you setup a game for 60 minutes and plan out your giants to make, doesn't matter, we'll say 5 achievements. I can't tell you how many times I'd finish all of those in 40 minutes and be so incredibly specialized that I couldn't possibly hope to get any other achievements in the remaining 20 minutes. So what do I do? I walk away from the computer with the clock running until the timer expires. Seriously? I consider that a very significant flaw in the game's design that could be most easily fixed with an end era now button. If you really are concerned about balance issues, it could certainly check and make sure that none of your villages are growing or are so greedy as to be attacking each other/your giants, but still. Something like this is pretty important.

I love the game, don't get me wrong, and I really hope to see it improve and get better, but I'm a hardcore min/maxer who actively seeks out fiddly, difficult to master games such as Reus for their challenge. With that being said, I think it goes even too far and has become tedious and almost feels like a job to unlock the final achievements. I think it would open the game up to a MUCH wider audience if after unlocking a certain number of sources via specific unlocks there was a "fourth" level that would unlock all of the remaining sources. You'd still be able to go after those remaining achievements/developments, but you'd have more tools to do it with.

Adriaan

Re: Interesting game, could be great with a patch or two.

Post by Adriaan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 am

Heya! Thanks for the extensive feedback. :)

1) Bas is workin on it indeed. :)

2) Copper seems to work fine here... :S

3) Next patch will fix a bunch of them. It's just a hella lot of work to do them, and some slip through. Sorry for that!

4) I find this very frustrating as well, and the game should have a ingame tech tree where you can forsee your advances and what you need. Maybe even a little giant-build tool to highlight what you will unlock. I only got one excuse for this: time. It is certainly one of the 3 things I think the game is lacking (next to more gameplay modes/options and local highscores).

5) This one I find a bit hard to agree with. Before we shipped Reus, I resetted my unlocks twice to see how fast a good player would find smart ways to unlock everything. I needed 1 30-minute game, 1 60-minute game and 2 or 3 120-min game. (With exception of chosen people in the first run) With that in mind, I thought the pace of unlocks would adapt to the skill of the player. Especially in 60 min and 120 min era the achievements are so compatible, that there is always a way to get just another achievement. Many people do just that: save 20 before the end of the game, finish the game and get achievements, reload, do other tactic and profit.

I think the underlying problem is my biggest desgin challenge yet: Wanting all unlocks, but not feeling like a timed challenge. Especially since I agree that most early games look a lot like eachother, there is a big hurdle to jump with the 120 min challenges to try to get another achievement. Reus is a bit brutal and hardcore in that sense.

I personally really like the rewards of new possibilities and toys for my difficult challenges, but I can see how other people don't want either the timed part, or even the challenge part. It makes it really hard to design upon, because if I appeal to them and allow unlocks to be gotten way easier in another (untimed) way, I screw up the game for a lot of other people. I know I would feel kind of disappointed that I can get my achievements easier (lower challenge, but more time) in an untimed mode. I know the game is less fun without the time pressure (It's the last added feature so we did a long time without it, and time pressure syngergizes with the greed mechanic so well), and I would imagine seeing myself playing 1 or 2 long untimed games to unlock everything, and then say: "ok unlocked everything" and be done within 5 to 12 hours, against the 30-40 hours a normal player would take to unlock everything now with more difficult dillemas and excitement. If I would have bhought Reus, I would get a lot less value for the game with the extra mode then I would have now.

It's a really though discussion about making the game better for those who love it, or making the game appeal to more while diminishing the value for those who already love it.

Aside from that, I don't really like an end era now button, because a big part of Reus is dealing with the consequences. It wouldn't really be happy to put that there.

But nontheless, thanks for your kind words and feedback, and I surely hope to improve Reus on those points!

Kalil

Post by Kalil » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

Adriaan wrote: I think the underlying problem is my biggest design challenge yet: Wanting all unlocks, but not feeling like a timed challenge. Especially since I agree that most early games look a lot like eachother, there is a big hurdle to jump with the 120 min challenges to try to get another achievement. Reus is a bit brutal and hardcore in that sense.
I think you're on to something with your comment about early games looking rather alike, and with your comment in the Top Scores thread about liking 60 Minute games best. Here's a proposal for an alternate game mode:
60 minute game. Giants start with two ambassadors (randomized or chosen - randomized could be a lot of fun, I think, and would encourage people to try some less common strats, like going for Crystal Aspect on the Ocean Giant). Lesser projects are disabled, villages go straight for Great and Greater.
Overall scores would probably be lower than in a full 120 minute game, since I usually find I get my 4th ambassador around 60 minutes in, but the game would go significantly faster. Might want to give villages some innate awe, since their initial growth spurt is going to produce a /lot/ of Greed.

I also really like the idea that's been bouncing around of a special Freeplay mode where you start with no unlocks, and unlock as you play. It'd be very rewarding, allowing you to morph your world from one configuration to the next to complete the full unlock set. You'd still have a risk of end-game (giant death = game over).
I'd love to see an achieve for 'Unlocked all unlocks in Freeplay+ Mode".

Daulken

Post by Daulken » Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Adriaan wrote:Many people do just that: save 20 before the end of the game, finish the game and get achievements, reload, do other tactic and profit.
Didn't even occur to me to be honest.
Adriaan wrote:It makes it really hard to design upon, because if I appeal to them and allow unlocks to be gotten way easier in another (untimed) way, I screw up the game for a lot of other people.
Oh, definitely not what I was thinking at all, and I certainly wouldn't want it to act that way either. I actually LOVE the timed challenge nature. No, what I was suggesting was something entirely different. As one example, let's say you've unlocked 8 of the level 2 achievements, but you're still missing the one to have 3 war marks from level 1. Whatever source is unlocked from that achievement (I forget now) would be unlocked but the achievement wouldn't. You would just be able to use ALL of the sources from the level 1 category. Then, once you get like 12 of the level 3 it would unlock all of the sources (but definitely not the achievements!) from the level 2 category. It wouldn't change the game much at all for the min/maxers who want every achievement in the game and want to do it as quickly as possible, but would keep the game from stalling out for people who don't want to setup a specific scenario for just one achievement because they missed it through luck, poor timing, or whatever the first go-around.