Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Performance issues

piconej

Performance issues

Post by piconej » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 am

Hi, I've been having significant performance problems when trying to play Reus, usually when it's starting to get into midgame. Specifically, I get bouts of the framerate and the game tick dropping into the single digits, combined with static in the audio. It gets worse the more I zoom out, it tends to happen more if the view is near some villagers, so I conclude that it's to do with rendering them. My system's specs are in-between the minimum and recommended specs on steam:

i7 Q820 @ 1.7 GHz
8 GB RAM
Mobility Radeon HD 4650, which supports DX10 and has ~750 MB graphics RAM

I've had similar problems on my desktop, although that tends to manifest as constant audio static and the game stuttering, instead of long segments of single-FPS. It's got:

Core 2 E6850 @ 3 GHz
4 GB RAM
Radeon 7870

but that's a windows XP computer.

Touriste

Re: Performance issues

Post by Touriste » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:06 am

What is the OS of your first computer ?
Check that your drivers are updated, especially the graphic cards' one and the motherboard sound system.
If you have Steam version, verify game content.
If the problem persists, try to reinstall with administrator mod. Do it a few times.

You can play other game without having any problems ?

piconej

Post by piconej » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 am

Windows 7

I'm looking at doing a display driver update now, will let you know whether it helps later, but it's at least moderately up to date.

I have the steam version, it verifies successfully.

Can't try reinstalling right now (time pressure), will try it at some point in the future.

I can play other games. DOTA2 runs fine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution runs fine. Bastion runs fine, just for some examples.

piconej

Post by piconej » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Patching display driver has not helped.

I've noticed that occasionally the slowdown coincides with an autosave - it's slow, I see the message 'game autosaved' just as it stops being slow. But I'm not sure whether that's just an accidental correlation.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Can you try to run it without doing anything, just in order to check if lags are caused by actions (on both computers) ?
Also, when you have the time, try to reinstall in administrator mod (on both computers)

freakizoide

Post by freakizoide » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:09 am

i seem to be having the same problem, i closed all the programs in the background, updated my graphic drivers and made sure it was just the game running. still no luck, i posted a thread on this but ill bump this in hopes of some developer seeing it.

My specs aren't the best but i can run Dota 2 fine, WoW, WoT.

Nvidia GEFORCE 8800 512mb, 3.5GB ram.

piconej

Post by piconej » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 am

Ran a 30-minute game, did essentially nothing, no slowdown.

Ran a 30-minute game, filled the entire world with ocean and fish, also no noticeable slowdown yet (I'm in the process of doing it right now).

Sneaking suspicion it's something to do with the townies? Although the behaviour coinciding with autosaves is a bit weird. Not easy for me to test without fiddling with modding, and I'm not /quite/ that invested in figuring out what's going on.

piconej

Post by piconej » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:41 am

Okay, /now/ I'm starting to see slowdown. 30 minute game, entire world is ocean, about half to three quarters of the world has basic fish on it (clownfish or mackerel). Occasional bouts of jerkiness, like originally described. My suspicion is that it's something to do with the towny/animated animal sprites and the more of them the more often and more severe slowdown is.

EDIT:
This is on the laptop (Win7)

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 pm

piconej, did you upgrade your drivers to the most recent before doing those tests ?

piconej

Post by piconej » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 am

Yes.