Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Graphics Card Question

Theodidactus

Graphics Card Question

Post by Theodidactus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 am

Hey guys, I am getting the graphics card error.

I'm sure there are like, 5,000 of these, but I can't find one that addresses my issue specifically.

First off, this looks like a really terrific game, so I'm willing to go to some extraordinary lengths to play it. I have a macbook pro (2010) with a NVIDIA (0x10de) graphics card. It has been through the absolute mill over the past 4 years, thanks to my job. the video cable is broken, resulting in some weird artifacting issues which I plan to fix and probably don't have any bearing on this situation. I have a windows boot camp system that I use to play video games, but due to the artifacting, I cannot use my windows side for anything (I plan to get this fixed if the community here thinks that will work, read on). I had bought reus on a whim and decided to try it out on a virtual PC running from my mac side. It doesn't work for the graphics card reason I've exhaustively studied.

Obviously, there are any number of reasons why the game wouldn't run on a virtual PC, which uses an emulated graphics card. What I'm wondering is, will it run on a windows XP bootcamp run from this laptop? If folks here think it will, I might spring to get the video cable repaired. If it's a bust because of this hardware on this laptop, I will just wait until I can afford a desktop (which I'm planning to get someday) or until Abbey games cranks out a mac version.

ZenithRising

Re: Graphics Card Question

Post by ZenithRising » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 am

A few tidbits for you:
It sounds like the Mac version is still a few months away.

Virtual PCs emulate graphics cards poorly if at all. I don't know your exact set up, but I suspect that is the cause of your graphics card error.

I'm currently playing Reus on a Windows 7 Bootcamp install on a late 2009 iMac. Once again, I don't know your exact set up, but I imagine it is comparable to mine, and Reus runs fine on my machine. I would check Reus's system requirements against your machine's specs. I suspect it will run on a Bootcamp partition.

Theodidactus

Post by Theodidactus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Zenith, I suspected something like that. It's nice to get a confirmation that it works for someone because I'm having a hard time finding that. Now I know at least what is possible.

Did you have to finaggle your graphics card in windows by automatically forcing the higher performance card?

My failure to run bootcamp has seriously impeded my fun for the last few months, I will get it fixed posthaste.

ZenithRising

Post by ZenithRising » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 pm

No finaggling required for me other than the typical amount needed to actually get Boot Camp and Windows installed. It's actually a huge pain on my particular machine because of some graphics drivers issues. Most people don't have as much trouble as I did though, and regardless, I used the default drivers provided by Boot Camp.

Theodidactus

Post by Theodidactus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Fun times! I can't fix my bootcamp, because the bootcamp issues stem from a logic card problem, not a cable problem. My logic board needs to be replaced, and Mac is charging me untold hundreds to fix everything all at once, because they flat out refuse to just fix one failing component...so they also want to fix trivial issues with my screen, cable, fans, ect.

At the price they're charging to fix my 2009 macbook, I could quite literally buy two brand-new laptops...so I'm going to buy one and save big money.