Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge #24: Dashkov's Dinners

Manuel

Challenge #24: Dashkov's Dinners

Post by Manuel » Thu May 19, 2016 12:44 am

Looking for your results in the previous challenge? Check here

Patch #15 will hit GoG soon, and it's finally time for Ivan to enter the podium.

The Story
Strong as he was, Ivan seemed hollow from inside as chairman Pinkerton led him up the stage in the Society's main hall before the eyes of all other explorers. It was clear he had at all no desire to be on the podium right now, let alone to be judged by his friends. "Stand tall, Ivan, I'm sure this will change everything for you.", but Pinkerton's words hardly had any effect on Ivan's abnormally weak composure. Then the chairman turned to the audience, expert explorers every single one of them. "As you all know, I have given mister Dashkov the assignment to go on a campaign to represent the society. So far nobody has signed up to join this important journey, so I stand here before you to ask once again: who will join this brave man on his journeys?". It was silent for a while, many explorers looked at their feet. It was obvious few of them were inspired by the idea of Ivan as their captain. Then the silence was broken by a loud growl. Everybody turned to Kiwi, who was smiling timidly. "Sorry! I haven't eaten in the entire past hour..". Pinkerton shook his head with disapproval when Ivan came up close to him and whispered something in his ear. Chairman Pinkerton seemed to be entertained and addressed the present explorers again. "Captain Dashkov, a man of support and generosity, offers all of his crew the perk of all-you-can-eat meals on every expedition. No stomach will growl as long as you travel with him!" A few seconds and stumbles later four explorers had raced to the podium, volunteering to join, feeling very inspired all of a sudden. This is the chance Ivan needs to prove himself as a captain...

The Rules
A simple, but hard challenge: Pick Ivan as your captain, and pick your other crewmembers from Dolores, Jan-Piet, Kiwi and Phillipe.

- Your captain should be Ivan.
- Pick your other crewmembers among the following 4: Dolores, Jan-Piet, Kiwi and Phillipe.

- Your score is your Renown.
- Play on Adventure Mode.
- Play on any Difficulty.

The Goals
BRONZE: 2000 Renown (1 Medal Points*)
SILVER: 4500 Renown (2 MP*)
GOLD: 7000 Renown (3 MP*)
PLATINUM: 9000 Renown**
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty. It doesn't increase Medal Points, but we will track how many you have.

STORY MEDAL: Why is Ivan an uninspiring leader to many? What type of leader is he actually? How will this crew's journey develop? Will the explorers at home change their opinion of Ivan when they come back? Will Ivan overcome his fear, or will he never lead again? Write a story with the challenge constraints as inspiration.

We're keeping track of all the medals you gained in the Hall of Fame.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
[*]Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
[*]Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
[*]Link to it here with a comment.
[*]Please include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in your comment to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
[*] Play the game according to the challenge rules.
[*] Post a screenshot of your Win screen (that is the screen right after the win ceremony) in this topic.
[*] Submit by Wednesday, May 25th, 12:00 noon CEST / 05:00 CT.

PlutoniumRooster

Re: Challenge #24: Dashkov's Dinners

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 pm

This run was a lot harder than I thought, and I've been on the edge of losing quite a few times. Enjoyed it a lot though!

Adriaan

Re: Challenge #24: Dashkov's Dinners

Post by Adriaan » Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 pm