Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge #30: Fix the World!

Manuel

Challenge #30: Fix the World!

Post by Manuel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am

The Story
A brave crew entered the stage to present their plans. Their minds made up after a string of articles in the London Times: "Global Infrastructure Crumbling!", "War everywhere!", "Oppression reigns!". No longer would the society only explore the world. They would try and fix it too!

AttitudePreview.png
AttitudePreview.png (18.41 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
The Rules
- Your Captain should be Friendly. This means that they need to have the Friendly attitude as strongest as shown in the attitude preview during crew selection.*
- Finish with a Friendly attitude
- Bring a natural** Engineer
- Bring a natural** Diplomat

* An easy way to test this is to only select a captain (and keep slot #2 and #3 empty) and see if the Friendly icon is (or ties for) the brightest of the three. Examples are Pedrinho and Victor. Counterexamples would be Hatice and Dolores.
** A natural X is someone who can gain the X perk through their leveling tree. So Kwame is a natural Diplomat, but Victor for example is a natural Diplomat too, even though he starts with only Tactician.

- Your score is your Renown.
- Play on Adventure Mode.
- Play on any Difficulty.

The Goals
BRONZE: 1500 Renown (1 Medal Points*)
SILVER: 5000 Renown (2 MP*)
GOLD: 7500 Renown (3 MP*)
PLATINUM: 10000 Renown**
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty. It doesn't increase Medal Points, but we will track how many you have.

STORY MEDAL: Why did this crew decide to go and fix the world? How did they get this crazy ambition? Does any of the expedition locations need fixing? Or would it only worsen the situation? What would the crew try to fix there? Will they succeed?

We're keeping track of all the medals you gained in the Hall of Fame.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
[*]Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
[*]Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
[*]Link to it here with a comment.
[*]Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
[*] Play the game according to the challenge rules.
[*] Post a screenshot of your Win screen (that is the screen right after the win ceremony) in this topic.*
[*] Submit by Wednesday, June 29th 12:00 noon CEST / 05:00 CT.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Previous Challenge: Challenge #29 - Learn & Live

Manuel

Re: Challenge #30: Fix the World!

Post by Manuel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:49 am

To be more clear, eligible captains are:
Emilia
Philippe
Agatha
Pedrinho
Harry
Victor
Maria
Hildegard
Kwame

PlutoniumRooster

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 am

Finished 3 Science trees without focusing on Study tokens, and still ended with 2 legendary items and more Status than I could spend. Pretty crazy run altogether. :)

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 am

How do you take a screenshot in this game? All I could find via google was how to do it in Steam, but I have the GOG version of the game. Print screen just saves what my desktop looks like, not the game (never seen that behavior before).

For what it's worth, I completed the challenge with Captain Harry, with Hildegard and Earl, Classic difficulty, 4925 renown (so close!), Devious II "The Scrooge" attitude (though they were often Friendly, and sometimes Aggressive as one would expect of such a diverse party), emphasis on gold. Route was Saxons-Mali-Highlands-Egypt-Emerged Island, since I was playing it very conservatively in my first Adventure mode game. Also first game with the expansion.

PlutoniumRooster

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Printscreen works just fine for me, don't know what's up with that I'm afraid. :(

If you're playing through Steam, the Steam overlay (Shift-TAB) allows you to set an alternate screenshot shortcut. That might work for you.

Edit: Also, unfortunately the run you described above wouldn't qualify because you didn't finish with a friendly attitude. Do try for next week though, that's a pretty decent score overall!

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Processing the results now.

Worblehat, perhaps it will only work if you play in Windowed mode or Windowed fullscreen mode. Alternatively you could use a program like Fraps to easily make screenshots inside graphical applications (like games). I'll count your entry. If you want you can still upload a screenshot of your leaderboards entry. And technically you should have ended a game with a Friendly attitude, so it looks like you've been going too much Devious. I'll count your entry anyway as a welcome gift, as I always enjoy new players joining the Weekly Challenge :)

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Results are up here. Please also note that to the bottom of that post there are some interesting stats as to crewmember usage and their average Renown.

adambomb

Post by adambomb » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Oh no, I thought the cut off time was later in the day! Darn it.

I tried many runs for this one and had some very promising starts that unfortunately met an early demise. Anyway here's the best run I had, just short of gold.

I know it's too late for official entry but considering how much effort I put into this challenge I can't not post! lol

Worblehat, I had the same issue while playing in fullscreen mode. Switching to windowed and windowed borderless fixes the issue, allowing you to use Print Screen.
Attachments
FixTheWorld_Hildegard.png

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:43 am

Manuel wrote:Processing the results now.

Worblehat, perhaps it will only work if you play in Windowed mode or Windowed fullscreen mode. Alternatively you could use a program like Fraps to easily make screenshots inside graphical applications (like games). I'll count your entry. If you want you can still upload a screenshot of your leaderboards entry. And technically you should have ended a game with a Friendly attitude, so it looks like you've been going too much Devious. I'll count your entry anyway as a welcome gift, as I always enjoy new players joining the Weekly Challenge :)
Thanks for the advice, Windowed Fullscreen seems to work. Attempting to attach here, just to confirm that I can do it right for the future.
challenge30attempt_sm.png
And oops, I missed the "must end Friendly" bit! It was literally the last action of the game that flipped to Devious - should have spent an extra turn to finish off the pirate ghost with two Impresses instead of one Enrage. Though I thought I had enough of a buffer on the friendly bar to still get that fight to count as friendly even with the Enrage finish - it's still not always clear to me when a fight will or will not count as a given attitude...

PlutoniumRooster

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Worblehat wrote: And oops, I missed the "must end Friendly" bit! It was literally the last action of the game that flipped to Devious - should have spent an extra turn to finish off the pirate ghost with two Impresses instead of one Enrage. Though I thought I had enough of a buffer on the friendly bar to still get that fight to count as friendly even with the Enrage finish - it's still not always clear to me when a fight will or will not count as a given attitude...
The most important thing when trying to do a friendly run is to absolutely make sure to finish in a friendly mood. All friendly points are halved while your current mood is not friendly - that catches people off guard all the time. :)